Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GOING CRAZY ....Some Help PLEASE :) 76 2.0 FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kskwpb
Ok....I'm getting no spark @ plugs. Turn key on have 13.4 volts @ the coil. Have 13.4 volts on the wire out of coil to distributor cap. Put test meter lead on wire out of coil,turned key,blew up volt meter,too funny smile.gif anyway, bought new coil about an hour ago...so I don't think it's coil. Also Ground wire from engine to car gets very warm when I'm trying to start it,so does the coil get very warm. The car is in great shape has just been sitting in my garage for last year....ran great before I let it sit. ANY & ALL Help most appriciated!!! Cheers, Kevin.
Aaron Cox
your points or pertronix are not firing the coil
kskwpb
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 2 2006, 04:46 PM) *

I have points.....what's a pertronix?
SGB
pertronix is a cheap & easy points replacement- I dunno if they have on for an FI dizzy.
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(kskwpb @ Jul 2 2006, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 2 2006, 04:46 PM) *

I have points.....what's a pertronix?

It's an electronic Ignition control system that replaces points..if you have points, check out the Condensor on the side of the distributor. They usually don't fail when sitting but one never knows! Points go to Condensor, and condensor to Coil...check all the leads for continuity.
Aaron Cox
your points are not collapsing the coil...... so it is not firing at the plugs.

the problem is in your dizzy.
try new points...
then get a pertronix (google for place to buy)it is a points replacement, that bolts right in... and elimiates points... no more dwell etc...
Joe Bob
Check the points and see if they look like the craters on the moon.....if they do...it's BAD.....check for cracks in the dizzy cap.

Check the coil wire.....mine on BAD TUB had a pin hole and was grounding out...
Howard
Points could be oily or dirty, too. Try running a piece of paper between them. Dollar bill works well, but use a twenty for good luck smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.