Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pat Garvey
Allright, next phase - front trunks. Please keep it limited to 914's through 1971. We'll go from there.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Sorry for the tire stains on the trunk floor. I'll try to provide better/additional pics when my digital camera is repaired. This will be a start.Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 3 2006, 06:14 PM) *

Sorry for the tire stains on the trunk floor. I'll try to provide better/additional pics when my digital camera is repaired. This will be a start.Click to view attachment

Ummm, not to be a pest, but where are the other pieces. You know, tool kit, spare tires, etc. not that this is meant to be virtual councours (hmmm, not a bad idea), but we'd reallt like to see it all, including the top of your gas tank.

I know you, so don't get in a spit about this. Just show us what you have, cause I know you have all the pieces. Help the newbie!
Pat
grasshopper
uhh, pat..90% of 914's dont even have a tool kit anymore...and that is a very clean front trunk.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 4 2006, 12:33 AM) *

uhh, pat..90% of 914's dont even have a tool kit anymore...and that is a very clean front trunk.

I'm sure you're right, but the pieces are out there & I'd like others to see them so when they run accross them they can grab em up.

I know the photo car pretty well & it IS a very nice 914. The whole car is even nicer than the front trunk. Glad Paul sent clap56.gif the pics & I'm sure we'll get more.
Pat Garvey
Let's see the middle years
tod914
Here's a few detail shots from a 12/74 build 1975 2.0. Will be a month or so before I can take other shots. Camera is out on loan.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tod914
Gas tank label

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Just crawling back from (6) days of baby sitting our (2) grandchildren (boys 1-1/2 & 4-1/2 yrs.) Lynda & I are bone tired. It will be another week before things are back to normal.

Just wanted to show details of my 1974 front trunk. I'll take more detailed photo's & post later next week.

Tom
TJB/914
more popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
BTW

See that last picture & notice the wire cable under the headlight (not factory)???
Everyone should put one in. If you every break the cable pull when the front trunk is closed it's a bitch to open. My emergency cable pull is hidden under the headlight bullnose. In an emergency you pull off the headlight bullnose to open the front trunk. It's a really neat pull hidden from sight. It has a miniature 914 model handle (need to take a picture of this beautiful piece of hidden art smile.gif ) that was made a long time ago by a 914 dentist lab Tech. out East. I think his name was Robb??? Forgot his name. He was a 914 long time (73 or 74 orange) owner that just disappeared. Wonder what happened to him. Used to see him at all the Stoddard meets???

Tom
Pat Garvey
Tom,
envy your "cad" plated strut upper hardware! Mine was polished years ago & looks close to chrome, but will get it replated down the road. Very nice Zebra stries, too!

Happy you're back!
Pat
tod914
great looking car Tom. By chance do you have a thread or site on the resto on that?
TJB/914
Hi Tod,

Thanks for the compliment (it's really appreciated). I never made a web site or thread because my restoration was before I had a digital camera. I have lots of 35mm pictures & I need to purchase a scanner to put pictures on a CD. Something I want to do, but never find the time. I will someday because of the wonderful experience working with new found friends & the labor of love putting it together. There was a nice (4) page feature on my car in EXCELLENCE magazine in their August 2002 issue # 112 if you can find an old copy.

Thanks again for asking Tod, because I really need to put something on paper for all the shortcuts and restoration advise I can pass on to others. I enjoyed the research, parts collection & new friends more than finishing the 914. The day I took it for it's first drive was the high point of my restoration & today (8) years later it's just another pretty Yellow 914.

Tom
BTW: I just went out to the garage to look at a plaque on the wall saying June 27th. 1998 was the day the motor was fired up & it was finished in August 1998 for my first ride around the neighborhood. Lots of great memories.
Pat Garvey
Some photos of my '72 front trunk
Pat Garvey
Couple more from my '72. Pardon the chrome wheel - have the orig, but no tire mounted.
Pat Garvey
Final from the front of my '72 - no, it's not freshly repainted.
Series9
'72 happy11.gif :

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 24 2006, 09:51 PM) *

'72 happy11.gif :

Wow...Cool..looks just like mine, except for.........everything!
Dion
Here is my 73 not concours,but thought i'd like to contribute......Dion
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dion @ Jul 26 2006, 05:04 PM) *

Here is my 73 not concours,but thought i'd like to contribute......Dion

Dion - once again - NICE 914! May be the camera settings, but what is the color?
Dion
Hi Pat. It's one of the option colours with the strange name."Marathon" metallic Blue.
type4org
My 1976 2.0 with 24,500 miles: This front trunk is original with the exception of the amp put in by the P.O. (see story below).

View with trunk tray in place:
Click to view attachment

The amp has a funny story behind it. This isn't just some dumb kid who cut up half the car for bigger speakers, the first owner actually fitted a CB radio. Apart from this highly visible amp the setup is actually very discreet and nicely done, I even found a bsiness card from the CB radio place in southern California that did it, most likely in the late seventies. The setup comes with the amp, a late seventies Motorola radio (the car apparently had a Becker Mexico, which came in a box when I bought it) and the CB handheld mike which mounts tastefully onto the middle console in the passenger footwell. I can't test this setup until the motorized antenna works again, unfortunately.

View with the trunk tray removed into the spare tire well:
Click to view attachment

A close-up of the toolkit and its pristine contents:
Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Whats that light grey wire cable for in the nose panel Jens?
type47fan
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 30 2006, 05:13 PM) *

Factory foglights?
type4org
QUOTE(type47fan @ Jul 30 2006, 08:39 PM) *

Factory foglights?

Wayne gets the prize. beerchug.gif

I didn't know it myself until I went out and just disconnected one of them and switched on the foglights. With the big old rubber bumper you can't even put your hand behind there and feel along.
1970 Neun vierzehn
More 1970/4 pics..............
tod914
Where's the toe hook gizmo screwed into?? Don't remember seeing something for it on my 75. Nice looking car btw.
1970 Neun vierzehn
On early cars ( I don't know when the factory changed it), there is a threaded installation point near the leading edge of the trunk. The first photo in this thread shows the installation point. There is another one on the driver's side as well, with the threaded hole empty. After reading your post, I looked at Pat Garvey's front trunk and didn't see any tow hook installation points in his '72. That's probably explains why he shows his tow hook with his tool kit, as later cars didn't have the interior installation points for the aforementioned hook. I wonder if '71s have this tow hook mounting point?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 7 2006, 04:40 PM) *

On early cars ( I don't know when the factory changed it), there is a threaded installation point near the leading edge of the trunk. The first photo in this thread shows the installation point. There is another one on the driver's side as well, with the threaded hole empty. After reading your post, I looked at Pat Garvey's front trunk and didn't see any tow hook installation points in his '72. That's probably explains why he shows his tow hook with his tool kit, as later cars didn't have the interior installation points for the aforementioned hook. I wonder if '71s have this tow hook mounting point?

Nope! I usually keep it with the tool kit, because that's where it was displayed in the "olden days" of concours, plus it's not susceptible to being banged when removing the spare, rendering it bent.

Attached photo shows correct placement ina late '72. This does bring up the question of just when (if ever) it was moved to the tool bag.
boxstr
74 2.0 33,000 miles
boxstr
Guess I could have been a little closer.
CCL
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(boxstr @ Aug 23 2006, 12:35 AM) *

74 2.0 33,000 miles

Very nice!

Note to the newbies and/or uninformed - major change here with the fuels evaporator tank & note the charcoal canister is gone from the front. Other little things too.
Bleyseng
I thought those were suspension pickup points...hmm.

Here is a early 70 that just needs a bit of cleaning up for a show. 150K miles and off the road since 1982.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 26 2006, 12:00 PM) *

I thought those were suspension pickup points...hmm.

Here is a early 70 that just needs a bit of cleaning up for a show. 150K miles and off the road since 1982.

Chuckle! Nothing a 150 hp shop vac can't handle!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jul 30 2006, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(type47fan @ Jul 30 2006, 08:39 PM) *

Factory foglights?

Wayne gets the prize. beerchug.gif

I didn't know it myself until I went out and just disconnected one of them and switched on the foglights. With the big old rubber bumper you can't even put your hand behind there and feel along.

Nonetheless, an extremely nice 914! Color's not bad either, cause it's close to red!
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Even more '70/4 front trunk, note no charcoal canister...
1970 Neun vierzehn
driver's side detail, again a '70/4.....
914runnow
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 12 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Just crawling back from (6) days of baby sitting our (2) grandchildren (boys 1-1/2 & 4-1/2 yrs.) Lynda & I are bone tired. It will be another week before things are back to normal.

Just wanted to show details of my 1974 front trunk. I'll take more detailed photo's & post later next week.

Tom

Hi there...I noticed a 'drain hose' on your brake fluid resevoir??
Was that OEM on your model year?? blink.gif
rhodyguy
75', 11/74 door jam sticker. #H3V9, code L31M, Scarlet (Mars) Red. unbelievable!! quite possibly the cleanest (and i think original) car i've ever seen. enjoy.

k
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 8 2007, 12:26 PM) *

75', 11/74 door jam sticker. #H3V9, code L31M, Scarlet (Mars) Red. unbelievable!! quite possibly the cleanest (and i think original) car i've ever seen. enjoy.

k

Looks like a VERY nice 914. Cleanest, most original? Uhh, without having a virtual concours here, I personally don't think so. What bout pics of the belly , motor & trans? Suspension & brakes too.

Let's start a virtual concours competition - no phototouching permited. Could be fun!
rhodyguy
well, not the cleanest ever pat. i'm just speaking about a car that i have personally seen. esp after rolling back 2 covers and blankets. the car hasn't seen sunlight in 15 years. the 3 flat tires won't allow me the opportunity to raise the car let alone crawl under it.

k
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
How's this for concours? An original unrepainted spare w/ an original Dunlop 165/15 on it.

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 30 2007, 10:12 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

Hmmm, let's see....

Trunk paint looks to be pretty close to perfect, but..

Looks like some dust on the headlight linkage covers, and the rear of the spare needs some serious attention.

Just kidding!!!! (except for the rear of the spare) Very nice LE. Proper color combo, in my humble opinion.
Pat blink.gif
Johny Blackstain
Pat- please note the dimples & slight discoloration on the inside of the right wheel well. The most unusual damage to ever happen to a 914, (I think), in history. It's 1977, my Dad & I went to his lawyers house for dinner. Daniel had a present for my Dad, the "Gardener". He gave us a 6' pine tree & we showed up in the LE. So we opened the front trunk & put the base of the tree, (burlap ball), into the car & tied the trunk down. Yes I know, sacriledge. Anyway, after driving the 8 miles home we took the tree out & saw what it had done to the inner fender. Pop jacked the car up, took the wheel off & pounded the dent out. He then grabbed a can of whatever white paint he had lying around, taped it off & sprayed it so it would look passable. Been that way for 30 years now. If I was not there to witness all of this I would have been very leery of approaching this car. Things like this are why it pays to be the original owner. Nothing has ever happened to this car that I don't know about.

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 2 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Pat- please note the dimples & slight discoloration on the inside of the right wheel well. The most unusual damage to ever happen to a 914, (I think), in history. It's 1977, my Dad & I went to his lawyers house for dinner. Daniel had a present for my Dad, the "Gardener". He gave us a 6' pine tree & we showed up in the LE. So we opened the front trunk & put the base of the tree, (burlap ball), into the car & tied the trunk down. Yes I know, sacriledge. Anyway, after driving the 8 miles home we took the tree out & saw what it had done to the inner fender. Pop jacked the car up, took the wheel off & pounded the dent out. He then grabbed a can of whatever white paint he had lying around, taped it off & sprayed it so it would look passable. Been that way for 30 years now. If I was not there to witness all of this I would have been very leery of approaching this car. Things like this are why it pays to be the original owner. Nothing has ever happened to this car that I don't know about.

cool_shades.gif

Stories like that make the cars' ours, its "provenance", so to speak. The places we have gone, the folks that we've carried, the sometimes crazy and foolish things that have happened to/with us with regard to our 914s all contribute to the car's character. Pat's 914, bought new by he and his wife Jan, also carries with it a long history of vacations, PCA Parades, a/xs, rallyes, etc. Cars with stories..... thumb3d.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 2 2007, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 2 2007, 01:10 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

Stories like that make the cars' ours, its "provenance", so to speak. The places we have gone, the folks that we've carried, the sometimes crazy and foolish things that have happened to/with us with regard to our 914s all contribute to the car's character. Pat's 914, bought new by he and his wife Jan, also carries with it a long history of vacations, PCA Parades, a/xs, rallyes, etc. Cars with stories..... thumb3d.gif

Wait 'till you see the upcoming "documentary" on the re-birth of this car. Started it yesterday - pics & stories to follow. Suffice it to say - "yuck!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.