Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UPS delivery...pretty, pretty parts :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I was weak....right after I sold my Pauter Roller rocker arms to Britain, I ordered a set of these smile.gif
Brad Roberts
The car has to run to fully utilize those.

How about you commision me to get the engine together and in the car running and you do what you do (drawings/plans/idea's)

B
Scott Carlberg
Mike,
those would be similar to these from GPR?

http://www.gprparts.com/brands/gprStrutMou...ntKit/index.asp

Dave/GPR showed these to me at the German AutoFest, they do alot of good, yes?
seanery
those look like the ones given away at the ramble. They are the plastic bushing material.
Brad Roberts
They work fine Scott for cheap replacement of the rubber. What they dont do very well is control the shock movement up and down. I'm sure they help a little over the stock rubber ones in the side to side department but I also want the shock to have precise control up and down.

B
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2003, 10:23 AM)
They work fine Scott for cheap replacement of the rubber.

They are not exactly cheap, though...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 9 2003, 09:42 AM)
I was weak....right after I sold my Pauter Roller rocker arms to Britain, I ordered a set of these smile.gif

They look a little too big to fit in your teen!!! wink.gif
Brad Roberts
How much are they James ?? I didnt even look.

B
Mueller
$100 bucks........

Brad, give me a call, I've got a few questions for you regarding "M" and 914 calipers.
seanery
120 ish
Mueller
Hey B,

510.484.8700 cell.........I figured since you haven't called me back yet, you misplaced your phone or the batter is dead, LOL
J P Stein
The Tarret jobbies are offset so's you can get more negative camber. Those other ones don't appear to do that.
Brad Roberts
I havent had my cell on since last Saturday. Its nice not taking phone calls.

B
JWest
I expected $50ish for the plastic jobs.
Jeroen
QUOTE(James Adams @ Oct 9 2003, 08:52 PM)
They are not exactly cheap, though...

Compared to the Tarett's they are biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

PS Mike, I'm still waiting for a delivery myself wink.gif
URY914
Are you just getting a piece of machined plastic for your $109.00?
Or is it installed in a housing?

Paul
seanery
there is a cadplated sleeve
URY914
OK, your get a sleeve for the shock shaft to go thru AND a machined pieced of plastic.

Such a deal!

Paul
Scott Carlberg
someone said:
"They are not exactly cheap, though... "
&
"Compared to the Tarett's they are"

so, how much does the Taret set-up go for?
Jeroen
I think the Taretts go for sumptin like 450
Check www.tarett.com and look it up

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
Tarett is $425......they are in a totally different league if you ask me.......

what is sad is I have more money in my suspension than what the rest of the car cost me blink.gif
TimT
I got front mono ball "inserts" from Strasse for around $250...they are machined alum with spherical inserts that mount in the old bushing plate. After you press out the rubber bushings
Brad Roberts
Tim,

Those work great (I have run them) but I still had to trim down the factory plate because it hit the chassis before I go the negative camber I needed. The Tarret setup work real nice with the doble holes. Wait until you see the little tiny thing WEVO has for us in a month or so. Very trick.

B
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 02:12 AM)
Wait until you see the little tiny thing WEVO has for us in a month or so. Very trick.

can you give us more of a hint about what is coming form wevo?

thanks,
david
rhodyguy
when i put on the units from triad and send the car off to fordal's, i'll give some input on their thoughts. those from gpr have that groovy ricer look tho. rolleyes.gif

kevin
TMorr
Brad was leaking details about this product....

WEVO Camber King. Front strut top kit for 911's, a modified version also planned for the 914 crowd.

The Ultra compact top plate is a heat treated Stainless Steel investment casting. Our top plate is lighter than the Almunium billet parts. The major advantage of the steel casting is the additional strength that allows us to make the unit more compact and shift the top bearing further inboard - for more negative camber.

Maximum camber in an unmodified and un-distorted (an alarming practice becoming fashionable) 911 chassis is negative 2.8°. I am not sure how this would equate in a 914 chassis.

With our cross brace attaching directly to the top of the strut - this is as pure an installation as has ever been available.

Our manufacturing vendor is delivering product as I write this.
Smart racing will be a major re-seller of the Camber King or come direct to WEVO.
Retail price of the whole kit is $695, making it just $66 more than the Weltmeister alternative.
The 914 version will be $515 without the brace, but with all the strut top hardware.

You guys got to see it first, this is not even posted on the WEVO web site yet!
TMorr
And another
Brad Roberts
Here you go JP. NO modifying of the 'tub' to get parts to work.

"leaked".. I gave you 30 more days (sorry) happy11.gif

The key to the WEVO setup is the smaller bearing they can use at the top. The other billet pieces HAVE to use a wide bearing insert which also has to have a wide holder. The wide holder always hits the tub first.

This commercial brought to you by Nabisco (chew on that for awhile)

B
URY914
It looks like it is taller than the stock one but that maybe is because it is norrower.
The top of my shocks hit the hood.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 10:16 AM)
This commercial brought to you by Nabisco   (chew on that for awhile)

Nabisco =

Novato
assholes
big
illegal
smut
corporation

confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
If I had a smut corporation.. I would'nt be hanging out with 914 people.

Paul,

We have to trim off the tops of the Bilsteins struts in the 914's to keep them from hitting the hood.. the Koni's are fine.

Ask Rich Johnson some time about his Bilsteins in the hood.

B
TMorr
From the spherical surface where the strut top mounts to the chassis to the very tip of the damper shaft = 46 mm.

This is without the dust cover fitted to the Bilstein damper. With the dust cover it would be about 44 mm.

It might be a little taller than stock, but is fine in a 911. We wanted to achieve the maximum damper travel at low ride heights. With this in mind, we located the bearing to suit.

Is this dimension a problem for the 914's ? (at 44 or 46 mm??)

We use a wide series spherical bearing, same size and quality we have been using in this application for almost 20 years (including cars with coil over struts where the weight of the car is carried by the bearing).

The advantage comes from a more compact housing, not a smaller bearing.

Regards

Hayden PTBT
URY914
I have a fiberglass hood and fenders which probably sit lower relative to the top of the strut.
I can't comment on a stock 914 steel hood and fender.

Paul
Jeroen
Hey Hayden,

Those look really good!
clap56.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Scott Carlberg
regarding the Strut Mounts from GPR that I mentioned on the 1st page.
Sent some questions to Dave/GPR, and here is his response:

1) Are they the plastic bushing material? Yes, Poly graphite

2) Will they control the shock movement up and down? Or will they just help over the stock rubber ones in the side to side department?
Yes, that is a great benefit as well as the side to side.

3) Do they offer more offset, so you can get more negative camber? No

4) Finally, are you just getting a piece of machined plastic for your $109.00? Or is it installed in a housing?
The bushing is a two piece set with a sleeve. You can install them without removing the upper metal bracket. You also do not have to re align the car! It is an easy install.
Call me and I can explain how it works.

--Dave/GPR

I'm not sure, but unless you were going to be actually racing your 914 every w/e,
$109 vs $425 seems like quite a big difference to me.
One might be an improvement, the other, a Big improvement?
J P Stein
IMO, if you don't need -2 deg negative camber....and most don't, you don't need the Tarret mounts. The others are also semi-useless for street cars.

I don't race my car every weekend......but I would if I could laugh.gif
ChrisReale
Shit. Those are trick indeed. Still, all I need is -2
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2003, 11:12 PM)
Tim,
Those work great (I have run them) but

I still had to trim down the factory plate because it hit the chassis before I go the negative camber I needed.

The Tarret setup work real nice with the double holes.
B

trim down the factory plate

I wondered if anyone had done that before. I remember talking with Dan Dalen (dad of 16yr Andrew) about front-end alignment and if that was a possibility. Hmmm....
J P Stein
Ayup, trim down the factory plate AND hack the crap outta the mounting holes.....on mine, 4 each (on each side) would have needed to have about .35-.40 material removed towards the C/L of the car.....no thanx on that. It *can* be done tho.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TMorr @ Oct 10 2003, 08:28 AM)
Posted: Oct 10 2003, 08:28 AM
Brad was leaking details about this product....

WEVO Camber King. Front strut top kit for 911's, ...

You guys got to see it first, this is not even posted on the WEVO web site yet!

and -- a mere 3 months later - it's still not...

what's the current status on this part, please ?

thanks !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.