Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
.....If my 901 shifts ok into 1st, great into 3rd thru 5th but into 2nd has to be slow motion or it grinds most of the time. If i'm lucky I was figuring on a gasket set, a 1st gear synchro band (while I'm at it) a 2nd gear synchro band and for good measure an input shaft seal. That's what I'm ordering. I will pull it apart tomorrow. Is that a reasonable parts list if bearings, dogteeth, sliders and all are OK? This is the first time into one of these and I am a little apprehensive. I have read many of the archive posts and yes I read Red Beards article. So I think I have some good reference material. I just won't know for sure what else to order unless it just falls apart in my hand.

Advice appreciated
Bleyseng
Probably is the minimum parts but add the shift rod seal thats in the shift console as that always drips some.

Change the plastic cup in the throwout bearing fork too.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Michael J @ Jul 3 2006, 02:46 AM) *

.....If my 901 shifts ok into 1st, great into 3rd thru 5th but into 2nd has to be slow motion or it grinds most of the time. If i'm lucky I was figuring on a gasket set, a 1st gear synchro band (while I'm at it) a 2nd gear synchro band and for good measure an input shaft seal. That's what I'm ordering. I will pull it apart tomorrow. Is that a reasonable parts list if bearings, dogteeth, sliders and all are OK? This is the first time into one of these and I am a little apprehensive. I have read many of the archive posts and yes I read Red Beards article. So I think I have some good reference material. I just won't know for sure what else to order unless it just falls apart in my hand.

Advice appreciated

Bad into second usual suspects:
-Your teeth may be fine, but your slider will be flattened.
- Your mainshaft intermediate plate bearing may be toast as well. This would allow your main shaft to have some play and has been my finding on a few with your symptoms. This sucks because it requires the removal of both shafts which is a PITA and requires some knowledge/lots of questions/reading. Do not mushroom the end of the main shaft trying to extract 1st gear!
- Always count on a synchro band for 1st and for you also 2nd.

I hope things are less dire in your tranny.
Michael J
shift rod seal thats in the shift console as that always drips some.

Change the plastic cup in the throwout bearing fork too.

I have the TOB fork cup and all the shift linkage bushings were recently replaced. The shift rod seals are a good thought.

I am really hoping to only pull one shaft - this time.
Cap'n Krusty
You'll need a tranny gasket set, unless you already have an ample selection of intermediate plate gaskets. Probably gonna need a mainshaft bearing, and possibly a pinion shaft bearing, as well. And a first/reverse operating sleeve, as well as 1st gear dog teeth. Less likely, but possible, is a 2/3 operating sleeve. You'll also need the holding fixture and calibration jig to set the shift forks. While you have it apart, check the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Do it right, do it once. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.