Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Porsche 914 - 1.8 Liter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lectronix
Hi everyone:

I'm interested in purchasing this 1974 914 - and I thought I would ask the opinion of all you fellow 914.Club members.

Mechanically: The owner says the car has approximately 100k miles. The heads were done at 90k. The tranny is fine except the first gear synchro needs to be replaced. The engine is stock and runs well. There is an oil cooler mounted under the trunk. The oli cooler has a thermostat with an electric fan. The front suspension and brakes are off a 911 SC. The rear has also been upgraded. The car has sway bars and heavy-duty sport springs in the rear. The tires are new and the car has the original Fuch wheels The car handles well and stops on a dime.

Body: The GT flares are glass. The car has never been in an accident. The original color was yellow, but it has been repainted Boxster yellow. The paint job looks great. There are no rust issues according to the owner, but the battery tray needs to be replaced and the area below could use light sanding and paint. The engine was not removed so the engine would need to be removed and the compartment painted. the same thing applies to the arean underneath the gas tank. The under-carriage was not repainted and still has the original yellow paint.

Interior: The seats are in good shape. The dash is cracked. The carpeting could use some cleaning. The seals are fine, but some should be replaced. Everything works.

The car is not perfect. It needs some work. My goal is to omstall a 3.6, rebuild the tranny, replace the wheels with something newer and larger, install a new efficient A/C system, install the earlier chrome bumpers, remove the Porsche reflector on the rear, install a power window kit, install the correct valance and rocker panels, and redo the entire interior in leather (including the dash).

The seller is asking $10,500. I'm wondering if this is a fair price for this car. Look forward to input. Thanks - Jorge
Lectronix
Just want to point out one concern are the flares. They are glass and the wheels don't seem to fill the well. Compare these flares to the other flares and they seem to box the car more than they should. Any opnions? Thanks! Jorge
Gint
You'll get more visibility and participation to this thread in the garage. Moving and linking...
jd74914
Your flares look kinda odd because of the lack of flared rocker panels.

The wheels could fill them up better if they were spaced out.

Its a nice looking car overall, but I don't know about a 10K price tag. If the paint is really nice and everything else is really nice (and you aren't planning on redoing anything but the engine) thats probably an OK price.
boxstr
The wheels need spacers to move them out to give the car a better more balnced look. Personally I am not a big fan of color changes. Your dream car witheh 3.6, including all of th eother items you want to change is adding up. Put all of that on top of the $10500 you pay for this car and you might find one closer to what you really want.
This is a nice looking flared 914.
CCLINBUYEMDON"TCRUSHEM
anthony
Why not just find a 1.7 or 1.8 in the color that you like for $4-5K and then build up your dream car exactly how you want it? At $10.5K this car should be perfect and you shouldn't have to be rebuilding the tranny. Unless you really love this car (the paint, flares, color, etc) I'd pass.
blitZ
For that kind of money you can find a 6 already converted. If it were me I would evaluate more options.
Air_Cooled_Nut
My opinion:
For that much money -- for a 1.8L stock car no less! -- the car would need to be in perfect condition i.e. no tranny synchro issues, correct flared rockers, nice interior, etc. Just exhange papers, insert key, and drive worry-free.

I question a remote oil cooler for a stock 1.8L. How was it mounted under the trunk? Are there holes drilled through the trunk, thus allowing the possibility of water to come in? Rust in the battery area? Hmm...was the paint job a quality one and how old is the paint? Could be covering stuff up if recent.
Lectronix
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 3 2006, 07:39 AM) *

You'll get more visibility and participation to this thread in the garage. Moving and linking...

Hi everyone! Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm new to 914Club, so I'm not familiar with everything.

Question: How would you move the listing? Or would I simply reinsert the entire listing?

The Oil cooler: Was mounted underneath the trunk and the bolts are visible. According to the seller, the car was purchased for the long haul, but he recently bought a motorcycle and his wife says one of the toys must go.

The paint: The seller has $7k in the fenders, body work and paint. The seller claims there is no rust on this car except a little I found under the battery tray in the picture.

The flares: I was under the impression the rockers would change the look dramatically, but without an expert opinion I wasn't 100%. According to the seller, he's not sure how anything wider could fit in the well, but the wheel is way too far in.

I agree with all of you regarding the $10,500 price. For a little more I should be able to find a car with everything. I just haven't yet and didn't want a good one to get by me.

Thanks everyone!

Jorge
blitZ
QUOTE(Lectronix @ Jul 3 2006, 03:51 PM) *

Hi - thanks for your suggestion. I'm new to 914Club, so I'm not familiar with everything. How would you move the listing? Or would I simply reinsert the entire listing? Thanks!

Jorge

It appears your post has already been moved. The Garage is the place for mechanical questions and random acts of nonsense.
Lectronix
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 3 2006, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Lectronix @ Jul 3 2006, 03:51 PM) *

Hi - thanks for your suggestion. I'm new to 914Club, so I'm not familiar with everything. How would you move the listing? Or would I simply reinsert the entire listing? Thanks!

Jorge

It appears your post has already been moved. The Garage is the place for mechanical questions and random acts of nonsense.

Whomever moved my listing from F/S to GARAGE, Thank you!

Jorge
Lectronix
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 3 2006, 11:47 AM) *

My opinion:
For that much money -- for a 1.8L stock car no less! -- the car would need to be in perfect condition i.e. no tranny synchro issues, correct flared rockers, nice interior, etc. Just exhange papers, insert key, and drive worry-free.

I question a remote oil cooler for a stock 1.8L. How was it mounted under the trunk? Are there holes drilled through the trunk, thus allowing the possibility of water to come in? Rust in the battery area? Hmm...was the paint job a quality one and how old is the paint? Could be covering stuff up if recent.

One more thing regarding the flares............... You would think the body shop would have made the inside lip perfectly smooth. please see pictures. I have noticed the same thing on some other 914s with glass flares. This is apparent on all four flares.

Also, here's a shot of the front trunk.

Jorge
jwilliamadams
Jorge, as a stock 1974 1.8 owner I say PASS on this one! Way overpriced.

You will find just the right one before you know it!
brant
also...
sellers often say that tranny's just need a syncro.

in fact if they grind a little.. they usually need more than a syncro.
by the time you buy a bearing a slider and a couple of syncro's plus gasket kit... its suddenly a 500$ job with no labor.. (possibly 1k with)

a lot of little things start out like this.
and for $10.5K you shouldn't have to spend a bunch more to get it all perfect.

I'd say thats a nice 5-6K car given that you would end up with a couple thousand just to get it finished without the conversion.

and the 3.6 conversion COULD cost another 12k you know.

brant
Lectronix
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 3 2006, 04:10 PM) *

also...
sellers often say that tranny's just need a syncro.

in fact if they grind a little.. they usually need more than a syncro.
by the time you buy a bearing a slider and a couple of syncro's plus gasket kit... its suddenly a 500$ job with no labor.. (possibly 1k with)

a lot of little things start out like this.
and for $10.5K you shouldn't have to spend a bunch more to get it all perfect.

I'd say thats a nice 5-6K car given that you would end up with a couple thousand just to get it finished without the conversion.

and the 3.6 conversion COULD cost another 12k you know.

brant

Hi all.

I really appreciate everone's input.

One thing I want to add........ he has done all the suspension. wheel and brake upgrades. Would this give it a little more value, say around$8k?

Jorge
Gint
Given the paint work, if it's decent quality, I *might* consider paying in the neighborhood of $8k. Of course that's without having inspected it closely myself. Based on your description though it doesn't sound quite worth that, let alone $10.5k.

Those are Colorado plates. We can have some of the lcoal gang do a PPI for you. I'll be in Portland for WCC06 and won't be around after tomorrow, but there are many other local teener nuts here that would probably e happy to check out a 914. If you decide to go that route, start a seperate post here in the garage with a specific title.

Good luck!
grantsfo
I'd say its a solid $7K car

jwilliamadams
Jorge, I am in Denver and would be happy to take a look at the car if it is still in Colorado.

Will
Lectronix
QUOTE(jwilliamadams @ Jul 4 2006, 07:39 AM) *

Jorge, I am in Denver and would be happy to take a look at the car if it is still in Colorado.

Will

Hi Will:

Sounds good! I will call the seller; he may be out for the 4th, but I will let him know I would like someone to come by and look at the car. I'll let you know ASAP. Thank you.
Lectronix
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 3 2006, 08:55 PM) *

Given the paint work, if it's decent quality, I *might* consider paying in the neighborhood of $8k. Of course that's without having inspected it closely myself. Based on your description though it doesn't sound quite worth that, let alone $10.5k.

Those are Colorado plates. We can have some of the lcoal gang do a PPI for you. I'll be in Portland for WCC06 and won't be around after tomorrow, but there are many other local teener nuts here that would probably e happy to check out a 914. If you decide to go that route, start a separate post here in the garage with a specific title.

Good luck!

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the suggestion.
Question: Will there be cars for sale at WCC06? If so, do they post their cars on 914Club that weekend? Or is there another way to find out about cars for sale? I cannot attend or I would.

Jorge
Dr Evil
Hey Jorge,

welcome.png

In the F/S section there is a specific section for cars that are for sale. If any are for sale at the WCC they may still be for sale after, but last time I think there was one good one for sale.....sort of. Long story, but funny.

Definetly have a PPI done on this car. I too think that the owner is way high. $7k would be my limit on that car.

The only way to make a little money on these cars is to start out with a lot. wink.gif The PO don't know that.
Dr Evil
Oh ya, and no friggen way I would pay top shelf price for a car that would need a tranny rebuild.

FYI:
1st gear slider is a minimim $400 alone
1st synchro teeth $130
Synchro band $60
Seal kit $40
Special tools to do the job if the teeth need changing $100
- if the whole tranny needs a rebuild $$$

I rebuild trannies onthe side and with parts alone most do not make it out for less than $800 if they had a gear grind. Labor is another $300-500.

For the higher price you should have what the others have said, put the key in and drive. No worries.

Just my $.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.