Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will '65 356 SC front rotors fit the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC/914
Does anyone know if the late 356 five lug rotors ('65) fit the 914 and vice versa? I figure that I'll have to fabricate the caliper adapters, but I was kind hoping that the rotors/bearing might interchange . . .

Anyone know?

Thanks ! !

TC
Dr Evil
Hmmm don't know, but if you go to pelican parts and cross check the part numbers on some of the parts it may get you closer to an answer.

Just a SWAG.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(TC/914 @ Jul 3 2006, 08:02 AM) *

Does anyone know if the late 356 five lug rotors ('65) fit the 914 and vice versa? I figure that I'll have to fabricate the caliper adapters, but I was kind hoping that the rotors/bearing might interchange . . .

Anyone know?

Thanks ! !

TC

Yes, I know. No, they won't fit. The bearings are different, fitting spindles on a kingpin suspension. Besides that, the calipers have been NLA for about 30 years. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
The pricing alone would be the killer....let the 356 guys pay that. 911 SC stuff is cheap.
TC/914
Thanks Guys!

Would you know, is it only the bearing races that are different, or the bearing seats themselves. In other words, do you think that I could open up the 914 rotors to accept the 356 bearings?

The reasoning behind the questions is that I picked up a '65 356SC and want to remove the front brake assemblies and replace them with more readily available components for everyday use.

I figure that if the 356 fits the 914, then the reverse is true and I can begin scrounging parts. I have a tons of 914 and Ghia suspension and brake parts left over from my 914 and thought that I might be able to re-manufacture something a little less costly to maintain than the antique 356 stuff. The "regular" 356 folks don't wanna hear ANY of this . . . no help what so ever . . .

I found a LOT of parts cross over info, but none of it works for the later disc brake 356's.

Any experience/knowledge at all would help a LOT. I'd just ike to know a little bit before I tear into the car(s).

Thanks ! ! !

TC
Cap'n Krusty
Because the 356 stuff is so difficult and expensive to obtain, I've used later 911 parts, with extensive mods. I no longer have the fixtures to make the kits up, but could do so if I had a spindle from a 356. 914 rotors are one piece, and the races are inserted directly in the hub like those of the Ghia. 356s use hubs and rotors, with bearings that fit a T2. The Cap'n
TC/914
Thanks Cap'n!

I think that I'll gather up all of my left over '74 Type II stuff as well, maybe I can work something out with those pieces.

The 356 hubs and rotors are in fine shape, the calipers just need a tear down and rebuild at most, but I'm planning on using this car as my daily driver until the 914 is fully sorted out. I wanna keep it as low buck and easily fixable as possible, you know. . .

Again, thanks for the help!

TC
JPB
QUOTE(TC/914 @ Jul 3 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Thanks Guys!

experience/knowledge at all would help a LOT. I'd just ike to know a little bit before I tear into the car(s).

Thanks ! ! !

TC

Friend, I would recomend a good machine shop and some dimensions for a different rotor/caliper setup for the spindle that you want. If ya want to keep it original, well thats another story but to machine the parts you need for conversion, thats the key to success. I have a scratch built Bugatti type 40 grandsport retro rod all made from seamless carbon steel space frame and used type 3 WV front end parts and a swing axel trany and a type 1 engine which may be changed over to something a little beefier, mid engine and the front end is the original ball joint setup of the t3 married onto a bent bar front end like the Bugatti had. Gave the machine shop the parts and drawings and they did their magic. Nothing is impossible bro.

You might even adapt a Mustang II vented rotor setup if you have the space and imagination. I know, Mustang, might as well use Cub Cadet parts!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.