Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schweggy
Newbie question:
I bought a 74 914 w/ 2.0 a few weeks ago. It's previous owner turned me on to this BBS and a few other sites for useful info. I regularly use the BMW UUC Digest for info for my other cars when stuck with something I can't figure out.

Since I'm new to the Porsche 914 scene I'm still figuring out "stuff." Here's my situation: It's leaking tranny fluid from the fitting where the speedo cable enters the rear housing. Gasket is fine, but the hole this fitting goes into seems "larger" then the diameter of the fitting with the speedo gear in it.

Saw a thread on this BBS about checking the fluid level and someone mentioned that if "the breather hole was plugged, it would leak tranny fluid just about everywhere"

Where is this breather hole? On top of the transmission, where? And can I get to it without major hassle?

If that doesn't pan out then is it possible to use some heat resistant material to caulk this thing so it won't leak?

TIA
Jay
JWest
They fit kinda loose quite often - you might want to try a new o-ring anyway (even if it looks OK).

The breather looks like a hex plug on the top of the case - if you pull it out make sure you tighten it back in the correct orientation (45 degrees off the car centerline and away from the differential).
Red-Beard
I agree with James. The o-ring compresses when installed. It is pretty much a use once thing.

get a new o-ring (they are cheap, like $2). To get the drive out, 1st drain the fluid. Always remove the filler plug first, so you can make sure you can get fluid back in there. You'll need a 17mm allen socket to do this.

remove the retaining bolt and then pull the drive out. replace the o-ring and put it back in.

TORQUE THE BOLT TO THREE (3) FOOT-LBS!!!!!!!!
schweggy
Thanks for the suggestions. Here's a funny prelude to this story;

I was looking for a shop here in Monterey, CA. that might be able to do some work on the car and found a guy in Del Ray Oaks who does Porsches... but only 911s. Turns out someone had called him about a seal for the speedo on a 914 but never came to pick it up. His suggestion, as y'all suggested was to replace the seal where the speedo cable enters the rear housing of the tranny. I had talked to him before posting here, so it's a good thing there is some agreement on this situation. I just never thought that seal would have made any difference since the whole fixture is loose to begin with.

I noticed the speedo fixture fit more snugly this time, but still has some play in it. I was able to remove the filler plug, but the drain plug is a bitch and I'm too old for this crap... so I tilted the car over on the side via a jack stand and let whatever transmission fluids could run out into a tray from the hole where the speedo cable would go. I figured I got about 90% of the oil out based on what went back in. I'll have to get that drain plug un-frozen this winter... mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.