Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift lever rotating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Noticed my shift knob was getting closer and closer to my leg / steering wheel. Twisted on the lever and got it straight again. Now it's loosening up and rotates whenever I pull it into first.

In most cars I've had, the bottom of the shifter was flat or keyed so it couldn't rotate. I haven't had this one apart yet, so not sure what's supposed to hold it straight.

How does it come apart? Three bolts at top of plate to pull it up? Linkage has to come loose? Any tech articles? Sorry for all the questions... I won't get a chance to look at it until tonight and just thought I'd fish for some tips ahead of time.
beer.gif
Dr Evil
I bet you have a short shift kit. I have had this happen on two cars. The shift rod is JB welded into the ball in the shifter assembly. Check it out.
Brad Roberts
Or.. the locating pin broke.

More than likely a short shift kit that came loose.

V
Dr Evil
agree.gif or that
Cap'n Krusty
There IS no locating pin. And the factory glued the shifters, too. The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 3 2006, 05:06 PM) *

There IS no locating pin. And the factory glued the shifters, too. The Cap'n

agree.gif

I just reglued mine in a couple of weeks ago.

So.Cal.914
Correct. There is no pin. To remove it use Mapp gas or propane heat the base

and what's left of the epoxy will let go. Clean the leftovers out of the base and

lever and re epoxy the lever into the base, use the epoxy liberialy and let cure.
Rand
What kind of glue do you recommend? I haven't had it out yet to look at the bottom, but as snug as the sides are it seems like something thin would be needed?
Rand
Oops... Socal got a post in before mine. So epoxy then.
Dr Evil
Really, well I had a few that were welded in......except for the two that had short shift kits on them. I did not know they were ALL glued in.
Llive and learn.
rhodyguy
don't torch it with the lever still in the base. while it's apart replace the bushings that cradle the lever ball. cover the springs for the R/1 detent plate with a rag when you pull the pins and remove the springs. the springs like to fly. undo the bolt that secures the bottom of the lever to the front rod when you pull the shifter. leave the front rod end connector alone so you don't lose the linkage adjustment.

k
Rand
Ok, no exciting news or anything, but thought I would post an update just because I like it when people do that. A lot of threads are started because we have a question, but the most valuable posts are the ones with the answers. Anyway...

I was surprised to learn the shifters are simply glued into the ball with no pin or anything.

Mine was loose, so I just twisted it back and forth while pulling up and it came right out.

It doesn't look like a short shift kit, but it does look like it was previously glued with some kind of plastic-like epoxy. At my first glance, the color of that plastic made me wonder if the ball was nylon or something... but seeing everything was steel, I went ahead with the JB Weld fix.

Wire wheeled the rod clean, sanded out the hole with a small wheel, vacuumed and wiped with solvent on a rag poked in there. Spread the JB Weld mixture thinly around the rod and wiped the excess off in the hole. Put it together, working around and positioned the shifter at the angle I wanted.... Done deal. Good as new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.