Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
What ratios would you run if you had your choice of gears for the street ,Ax, track,etc. everyone wants to know.

Bernie
Bleyseng
AFMSZD

Love it for street, freeway and still have yet to AX it but it should be good. biggrin.gif
john rogers
For street use, either a four or six, stock is fine. For auto-x or road racing with a strong 4 I used to use M-S-X for top three. For a six, 2L to 2.2L I use K-Q-V since they do not have gobs of torque and can get you to top end quickly. In both custom trannys I use a limited slip.
brant
race car, small -6:

F/J/O/S/V

Aaron Cox
A F KA S ZD
alpha434
A-J-M-S-V

All the tracks around here are short.

Aaron. What?!?!?! ZD? You gear like you've got a viper. No accelerating in fifth for you!

But I like Brant's settings. Except that he's forfeit his reverse gear. Bernbomb, this isn't a very fair question. There are too many variables. Brant's setup is for a dedicated racer with what? 160hp? Mine's the happy-go-lucky 1.8 weekend autoxer (I don't really run that ratio set, it'll go in when the new engine goes in.) God only knows what Aaron runs. 1.7 or some such. But good gearing will be different for each. And then you have to take into account terrain. Track, highway, inner-cityuse, AX. Heck. I know Aaron likes to go drifting with all his buddies! And you need different gears for that.
Aaron Cox
i have a stock first (B C's and D's are not cheap nor cost effective to change your 1st ratio)

and a close ratio 2-3-4 and a stock 5th for cruising ability.

worked fantastic.

hot cammed 2l
alpha434
Hey. a top speed of 85 is all you need for the buzzing around that I do.

A "V" at 6000 adds up to 87something, right?
campbellcj
I have a short box similar to John Rogers' - A,GA,Ka,Q,V with a small six; but, this is not really a 'streetable' setup. It is great for short tracks and canyons but buzzes way too fast for freeway cruising. I think M,S,X or similar up top would be great for slightly longer/faster tracks and be a bit more streetable too. If I ever get more serious about the track driving (i.e. have more free time) then I'm sure I'll end up with several trannies.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jul 3 2006, 10:03 PM) *

Hey. a top speed of 85 is all you need for the buzzing around that I do.

A "V" at 6000 adds up to 87something, right?

faster than that.. i can do 90 at 6k with an S....

V is taller than S
brant
On our car with 7K in the calculation, I think V came out to 122mph

brant
slivel
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 4 2006, 07:52 AM) *

brant

Gear decision should consider tire diameter as well as the other factors discussed.

Steve
brant
QUOTE(slivel @ Jul 4 2006, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 4 2006, 07:52 AM) *

brant

Gear decision should consider tire diameter as well as the other factors discussed.

Steve

True,
I was just shortening my response.
I calculated our gears with my race tires and my dyno graphs for hp/torque at each shift. Thus the "on our car" statement.

we have an itty bitty motor and can't pull off the speed of taller gearing.
I've been running for 2 years with Ka / S / X
and am confident I will be faster with lower gearing.

brant
bernbomb914
I am not into top speed but would like to run 80-85 on freeway without turning 4500-5000 rpm I have a 2270 with cam, valves, ignition, headers etc so I should be able to pull taller gears if I can get it running with the 44 webers. I have gears from three trans plus a sportomatic gear set to choose from so I want to build 2 transmissions with differant ratios and am looking for differant opinions.

Bernie
AFMSX OR AAFNSX
Bleyseng
Thats why I kept the ZD for 5th as its about 3500rpms going 80mph for freeway driving.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 4 2006, 08:23 AM) *

Thats why I kept the ZD for 5th as its about 3500rpms going 80mph for freeway driving.

exactly.

bernie, dont use an H or HA with a type 4.... even with a DTM, i doubt you will keep it cool enough to use an H gear in 5th
Trekkor
the MSX box is really great.
For road trips of an hour or more, just keep the speed legal and you will keep the RPMS between 3500-4000.

On the track...Look out!! mueba.gif

KT
bernbomb914
I think I will save my HB for the conversion engine or use it for 2nd if I have a ZD for 5th
brant
2nd gear is part of the mainshaft and can't be changed without using a 904 style mainshaft.
Downunderman
A GA M S Y with twin plug 2.7
ClayPerrine
A, F, Flipped ZD, S, Flipped HB.

Close ratio 4 speed with a tall 5th for the freeway.. Great for the AX course, and when I drive it to work, it does just fine there too.

Requires an external oil cooler with an electric fan or a crusing speed of questionable legality to keep it cool on the freeway.

Currently my car doesn't have an electric fan on the cooler, so the oil temps start to climb at 55 to 60 mph due to the low RPM in 5th. If I shift to 4th and try to run 55 to 60 the oil temps climb from the high RPMs. 75 to 80 is fine in 5th, and 45 to 50 is fine in 4th. With the fan on the cooler I should be able to run at 55 to 60.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.