Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 2.0 on Ebay.....NOT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out this auction. Do ya think we should send him some messages and set him straight....I already have. alfred.gif
BMartin914
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jul 3 2006, 05:07 PM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out this auction. Do ya think we should send him some messages and set him straight....I already have. alfred.gif

Nice excuse for not knowing and making a half-assed attempt at coming clean. alfred.gif

It is obviously a 1.8 with L-Jet, and someone tried to feed him some BS about "2.0 jugs and 1.8 heads for durability."

Kinda feel sorry for the guy and his clulessness...kinda...
runfaster
This car was forsale 3 or 4 months ago in Northern Cali. The person selling it said that it was a project that he did with his dad who had recently died. The car looked nice in the original add, but they had all this crazy custom stuff. If this is the same car, something has to be really wrong with the car or the buyer was ignorant to the fact that 914's are a money pit.

This guy got stuck buying this thing and now trying to off load it. Whatever.....

I wouldn't flame this guy too bad, because he probably feels shitty enough about his poor purchase. I hate getting burned, but it happens to the best of us.....

later,
bd1308
well in his defense, I personally run a bus 2.0 L-Jet system on my 1.7L 914 engine.

It happens.

L-Jet rocks though

b
914rrr
Before you feel too sorry for him, you need to read his comments about us 914 clubbers....

The sellers quote on the auction ...
" Thank you, Jeff. I have not been to any bulletin boards recently, so if people there are handing out abuse concerning this car or my listing of it, I chalk it up to jealousy, plain and simple. I have been to 914 boards in the past, and am frankly surprised at the hubris of some 914 owners who drive obvious pieces of crap and then hurl abuse at owners of superb 914's like this one. Thank you for clarifying some of these issues. I thought the mileage was original at 45K, so I will post this qustion on the listing so that potential buyers will know. Thanks again, Jeff." popcorn[1].gif
Joe Bob
finger.gif "Hubris"....Blow me....

Polished Rivieras, relocated battery, gee I forgot about the extra 100,000miles on it.....OKEY DOKEY.... finger.gif
drewvw
I love how guys that are trying to scam on ebay always take the high road.

"Everyone else is obviously jealous of my superior car"

I got a response back from the guy, its clear he's being peppered with responses that are calling bs.gif
Pat Garvey
I can't believe the bid on this car! These bidders are totally wacko!

He calls this car "restored"? to what? There is virtually NOTHING right with this car.

Exterior paint - wrong
F&R trunks - must be meant to be a higlight color, but what is it?
Fuzzy seats?
Battery in the boot?
Oh, forgot about the factory wheels!
The motor - I won't even go there
Yep, it's restored all right

Can't believe some sap would bid $7k on this piece of crap!
Eric Hagelin
Good evening and happy 4th of July. This is Eric, the owner of the gold 914.

I don't have the time or desire to address the various comments (rude or otherwise) that I have read on this forum (or in private e-mails to eBay). My comment about "jealousy" and "hubris" were written in haste, and if it offended anybody, please forgive me - I do indeed genuinely apologize.

I bought the car in April of 2006 from a gentleman in Olympia, WA. I believe he bought it from I guy either in Oregon or California, I can't remember.

I had a commuter car which had just died, and was in the market for another car. I've always loved 914's, and had a '76 over two decades ago, and thought it would be fun to have another one, so I got this one.

I have put over $1000.00 into it since I bought it... but that's not why I'm selling it. I make good money, have a large house complete with large family, big-ass Chevy Suburban, and a new 2006 Chevy Aveo for commuting. The 914 was a whim purchase because I've always loved 'em, and it was (and is) in sweet condition.

The truth is, I don't really care to sell it. I LOVE the car. My wife dislikes the car. The car is very flashy, and get lots of looks and compliments, which unnerves her. The car is also rather muscular to drive, which annoys her. She is also just a tad too short to enjoy driving it - she's out on full stretch when shifting.

At any rate, I don't have a garage. The car is a little impractical for a guy who commutes 80 miles a day. I was initially going to use it as a commuter car, but it isn't really "all that" when it comes to commuting, so I bought the Aveo. I can use the money from the 914 sale to re-paint my house. The car is fun, but I'm not so much of a fanatic that I HAVE to keep it... but I may just keep it, if the final price doesn't suit me.

I have represented the car honestly - based on paperwork, repceipts, and my own driving experience of the car.

If, for some reason, that bothers some of you... please try to keep it to yourself so that my eBay mail message in-box can be reserved for legitimate potential buyers who have questions about the car. I'd love to answer each of your personal messages about how I've been taken, or how clueless I am, or whatever... but I have better things to do with my 4th of July than spend it on a 914 discussion board.

Take care, and kind regards,

Eric
Joe Bob
Get rid of the wife....
tdgray
Nice Steering Wheel barf.gif
SGB
I'm glad he responded. I was feeling kinda ashamed...
c'mon fellers, what do ya think youve got something "historically significant?" He has a purty car. I'll bet it is fun to drive (like a 914). Where else can you get that kinda happiness for 7K- or whatever he sells it for?
drewvw
agree.gif but at the same time, I think a valuable service this online community provides is as a watchdog for things like ebay auctions.

Some members merely gave there opinions in an attempt to give potential buyers a better idea of what they were getting.

We all know there are TONS of ebay scammers, and in the end I think its useful to provide feedback on a product, but its a fine line....
Joe Bob
No problem with the car...his taste, his ride....go for it....just the representation of it.

He needs to grow some balls....
Eric Hagelin
To Z: My wife has nicer accessories than any Porsche.

To tdgray: Why the barfing emoticon? You must be one of those purists who prefers the stock plastic ones? More power to ya.

To SGB: Thank you.

To drewvw: I would agree that the knowledge-base here at this forum could be (and should be, and no doubt often is) a valuable resource for things like eBay rip-offs.

I am not trying to rip anyone off. I'm not trying to misrepresent the car. I don't really need the car, and I could use the money garnered from the sale on more necessary things. I have a nice Rickenbacker bass guitar I feel similarly about. If I put it on eBay, no doubt some bass guitar discussion forum will start messaging me on how the pick-ups are not original, or what a piece of junk it is (even though they've never held it or played it) etc. Much like some of you people have not seen or driven my 914, and are making a number of judgment calls on it, based on my write-up and photos.

In fact, I'd like to briefly comment on the items mentioned by Pat Garvey earlier on this thread. Pat is amazed that people are bidding 7K on my "piece of crap" as he calls it?

Pat says the exterior paint is "wrong". Pat, who made you the paint dictator? The color is lovely. I get compliments on it all the time. It's downright stunning. Yeah, it wasn't what the factory painted it when it rolled off the line - if that's what you mean by "wrong".

Pat doesn't know what the deal is with the color on the front & rear trunks. Hey, Pat and I have something in common! All I can tell you is, it appears to be some kind of rust inhibitor treatment/coating.

Pat doesn't like the fuzzy seats. Well, yeah, I'd prefer leather, myself... but that's what's on it. I hope you're able to sleep at night, Pat, knowing my seats have been re-upholstered with fabric instead of vinyl.

Pat's observant... the battery is indeed in the boot. I don't know why. But it's clean, and rust and corrosion free.

Factory wheels? The wheels that are on it are very complimentary.

Oh, wait a minute... the fog is beginning to clear... Pat's offended because I used the word "restored" instead of "customized". He's a purist. I guess since it hasn't been brought back to ORIGINAL standards, it's a "piece of crap"?

Please.

Hey Pat: Look up "restored" in the dictionary sometime. It doesn't necessarily mean brought back to original standards.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a 914 enthusiast/elitist) to see from my photos or my ad that my 914 isn't original. But as someone who has always loved 914's, I can tell you that it's one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen.

Hope you all had a great Independence Day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.