Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA National Tour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Dave-O
Well...a relatively stock 914 has competed in a National SCCA event for the first time in...well a long time.

I took my STS2 914 to Milwaukee for the National Tour event this last weekend. For those of you who don't know how these events work, it is a two day event. You run a different course each day. You are allowed three runs each day, they take your fastest run from each day and add them together to give your final time. The friday before they have a short practice course that you can run for $2 a run as many times as you like.

I arrived on Friday, got the car unloaded, did some practice runs, got the car teched, and registered. They have five heats and I didn't run till the fifth heat, so I had a lot of time to kill. It didn't matter because 22 fellow autocrossers from the autocross club in Minneapolis made the trip over, there was plent of fun off the course as well!

On my first run I wasn't pushing the car nearly as hard as I could. Miller park is a very nice and smooth venue. Also, after hundred of runs on the course before me, there was a ton of rubber down. Your shoes would stick to the pavement when you walked on it! (I think most of this was from a monster C-prepared 1970 Cuda burnout.gif . I improved on my second run but I knew there was way more time out there. I thought I really nailed my third run but ended up with a slower time.

Sunday was pretty much the same story, except I was unable to improve on my first run. The only thing that I can come up with is that my falkens were overheating, causing my runs to be slower.

I finished 5th out of 7 in the class. I didn't mind being 5th but I really wish I could have cut the time gap between me and the leader(s). (fyi, Andy Hollis is a multi time national champion)

In the end, it was just a great event. I would STRONGLY reccomend that you make a national tour event if there is one nearby. 914's may not be the most compeditive cars in the SCCA anymore, but I had fun regardless. Also, SCCA people really do love 914's, I had people talking to me and admiring my car all weekend!

Here is a picture of my car heading into a slalom. I guess I really am learning to look ahead!
J P Stein
I've been a field filler at many ab SCCA event and had a good time doing it. biggrin.gif
Haven't made a Tour event yet......there's one up in Packwood WA in August.......
Joe Ricard
Nice looking car Dave. beerchug.gif
Looks like you were getting ALL of it in that corner. driving.gif Are those Panasports? or Mini lites.
STS cas are still fast no matter what. I am somtimes chasing a fully prepped civic hatch 1800 pounds and 110 HP so its claimed.
Sprung so stiffly I'd swear there ain't no suspension in it.

XP was full up with hot rods. looked like 6 cars 7 drivers??? Trying to figure where I mighta been. maybe a solid field filler. laugh.gif

Dave-O
They're 6.5" Minilites. There was a LOT of grip after all the rubber that was laid down over the two days.

XP was a very interesting class. There was a 2004 MR2 spyder that was supposidly built as a DP car. This weekend it ran (and won 1st and 2nd in) XP as well as DM. It is very well prepared and also very well driven. There was also the supercharged Miata built by a member of the local club in Minneapolis. It will be quick (340 rwhp and 11" slicks) but it still has some sorting to do. The cool CP Cuda ran in XP as well and took the 3rd spot. Otherwise there was a SM STi. I think on this course you would have had trouble just because of the horsepower difference. Put an STi drivetrain in that thing and then come to play! burnout.gif

On a local level I do pretty well with the 914 in STS2. I was pretty close to the CRX on both days even though he had a big horsepower advantage. But I really got schooled by a couple early Miatas. Again for this weekend the STS times were faster than the STS2 times which doesn't make any sense...but I guess they have a quite a bit more development behind them.
Dave-O
XP Joe beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Dave,
Are you running any of the MAC events in your car?

Rob
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jul 4 2006, 11:28 PM) *

Dave,

Rob

OH by the way, I am hearing that the Falken Azenis, particularly the first generation tires should be cooled with water between runs.

Rob
Joe Ricard
That's freaking sick. and goes to show how "UN-PREPARED" my car is.
Got a deal going to Co-drive a shifter Kart Saturday.

AND DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE I SLIDE EVEN FASTER.
GaroldShaffer
That cool Cuda runs with us here, if its is the one I know. Black with small yellow stripes? I know Jim Mckamey runs it along with a husband & wife team. I can't remember their names. The wife was 2nd in Nationals in CP
Dave-O
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jul 5 2006, 01:28 AM) *

Dave,

Rob

I have been running with MAC for about 2 years. They are great people and put on great events. We had 22 MAC drivers at this event. We called our space in the paddock "Camp MAC".

I am running the 2nd gen Azenis (RT-615) and didn't really realize how quickly they fell off when hot till this event. I will certainly invest in a water sprayer!

That cool Cuda runs with us here, if its is the one I know. Black with small yellow stripes? I know Jim Mckamey runs it along with a husband & wife team. I can't remember their names. The wife was 2nd in Nationals in CP

That's the one! I overheard lots of people saying "that's the most runs that car has taken without breaking in a long time!" They only ran it on saturday, a 67 flat black Cuda was running on Sunday.

And now for another shameless picture of my car
Dominic L
Dave your car looks like it's on rails! Mind sharing your mods with us. (Me! Lol) We just had an SCCA National on the east coast up in Devin Mass in June. A few guys and girls from our area made the trip and did well. No teeners though. I couldn't make it but there's a Region 1 PCA AX event in Mass. in Oct. that I'll be going to. A 2 day affair as well. Should be a blast!
Dave-O
Lets see here...the car is prepped per STS2 rules

-stock torsions
-22mm front sway bar set 2.25" from full soft
-150lb rear springs
-stock rear sway bar

-Koni yellows rear with threaded aluminum collars
-old (3rd/4th? hand) koni reds in the front
-Poly bushings

-Kerry Hunter header
-Butler aluminum seat
-Momo steering wheel

-6.5" Minilite Wheels
-205-50-15 Falken Azenis RT-615
-1" spacer in front with 58mm lug bolts

-2 degrees of camber all around
-max caster front
-1/8" toe out front
-1/8" toe in rear

I tried to keep the spring rates down on the car because we tend to run on "rough" venues. This tour event was on a very smooth and VERY sticky surface. This is the most body roll I have seen on the car since before it had sway bars! I'm not sure if it's a problem though. I'll trade a little body roll for a slightly softer suspension.
okieflyr
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 5 2006, 08:45 AM) *

That's freaking sick. and goes to show how "UN-PREPARED" my car is.
Got a deal going to Co-drive a shifter Kart Saturday.

AND DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE I SLIDE EVEN FASTER.

I feel your pain for XP, I just can't let go of my windshield! sawzall-smiley.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 5 2006, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jul 5 2006, 01:28 AM) *

Dave,

Rob

I have been running with MAC for about 2 years. They are great people and put on great events. We had 22 MAC drivers at this event. We called our space in the paddock "Camp MAC".

I am running the 2nd gen Azenis (RT-615) and didn't really realize how quickly they fell off when hot till this event. I will certainly invest in a water sprayer!

That's the one! I overheard lots of people saying "that's the most runs that car has taken without breaking in a long time!" They only ran it on saturday, a 67 flat black Cuda was running on Sunday.

And now for another shameless picture of my car

Dave,

I was the MAC comp director at one time in the 80's. Don Gettinger still around? He must be retired by now. I watched the front suspension break off of his Corvette at COMMANGSAC one year.

Funny, Between all of the clubs in MCSCC you can practically autocross or Solo every weekend and not much drive time involved. Here in California you have to drive a ways to get to most events.

I would bet that old Forest Lake go-kart track is no longer being used but that place was amazing...

Anyway, nice car, nice set-up. You midwest guys take a note. You always have a bunk at my place if you want to come to California for any reason.

Rob
Dave-O

Dave,

I was the MAC comp director at one time in the 80's. Don Gettinger still around? He must be retired by now. I watched the front suspension break off of his Corvette at COMMANGSAC one year.

Funny, Between all of the clubs in MCSCC you can practically autocross or Solo every weekend and not much drive time involved. Here in California you have to drive a ways to get to most events.

I would bet that old Forest Lake go-kart track is no longer being used but that place was amazing...

Anyway, nice car, nice set-up. You midwest guys take a note. You always have a bunk at my place if you want to come to California for any reason.

Rob

Rob,

Don is still around and from what I've heard his Corvette looks exactly the same as it did 20 years ago! You might also recognize the name Phil Ethier. I've only been in the club a few years so I don't know too much about the history. But, from what I've heard it went through some very hard times in the mid to late 90's. They lost the only venue they had (Canterbury Park) and had trouble even putting on events.

Now they have several venues including Valleyfair in the spring, Midway Stadium, Dakota County Technical College, and a public parking lot in downtown St. Paul. MAC is the only club in the Cities really putting on events anymore. Every once in a while Nordstern and COM will put on an autocross which is essentially run by MAC. As a club MAC is doing very well. They typically field 150+ driver events once or twice a month and they are way above water.

Possibly the most interesting thing about the direction MAC is headed is how many drivers are competing on a National Level. Like I said 22 drivers at the Tour event and usually 10+ competing at the National Championships.

The same offer goes to you! If you ever find your way up to Minneapolis I'm sure you'd have a place to stay and a 914 to drive (so long as it's running at the time!)

David
mskala
QUOTE(Dominic L @ Jul 5 2006, 08:49 PM) *

Dave your car looks like it's on rails! Mind sharing your mods with us. (Me! Lol) We just had an SCCA National on the east coast up in Devin Mass in June. A few guys and girls from our area made the trip and did well. No teeners though. I couldn't make it but there's a Region 1 PCA AX event in Mass. in Oct. that I'll be going to. A 2 day affair as well. Should be a blast!

Hi Dominic,
Yep Zone 1 is in Mass this year, I plan on going unless really poor weather. Should be 914's present if anything like 2004.

This is a great air strip, come run on it before it's gone. Which I hear may be happening next year.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 5 2006, 09:40 PM) *

Dave,

Rob

Rob,

Don is still around and from what I've heard his Corvette looks exactly the same as it did 20 years ago! You might also recognize the name Phil Ethier. I've only been in the club a few years so I don't know too much about the history. But, from what I've heard it went through some very hard times in the mid to late 90's. They lost the only venue they had (Canterbury Park) and had trouble even putting on events.

Now they have several venues including Valleyfair in the spring, Midway Stadium, Dakota County Technical College, and a public parking lot in downtown St. Paul. MAC is the only club in the Cities really putting on events anymore. Every once in a while Nordstern and COM will put on an autocross which is essentially run by MAC. As a club MAC is doing very well. They typically field 150+ driver events once or twice a month and they are way above water.

Possibly the most interesting thing about the direction MAC is headed is how many drivers are competing on a National Level. Like I said 22 drivers at the Tour event and usually 10+ competing at the National Championships.

The same offer goes to you! If you ever find your way up to Minneapolis I'm sure you'd have a place to stay and a 914 to drive (so long as it's running at the time!)

David

Hi Dave,

It sounds like the Twin Cities have gone the way of California. We are struggling with venues ourselves.
I think I was the EM for the second ever event at 916 VoTech. It was a small parking lot at the time.
I do remember the name Phil Ethier but he was more of an SCCA guy back then as I recall. I thought that SCCA dues were too high so I abstained. I occasionally ran the open events though.
There was a guy though that looked to have national level talent when I was there. Randy something.... maybe Johnson. His girlfriend or wife drove too. Man he was fast in whatever he drove.
Wow! Nordstern in bed with MAC! That is new.
Thanks for the offer. To be honest I would offend more than a few Norwiegian relatives if I didn't stay with them. But I wouldn't mind a hook-up and a beer or two with the Midwest Contingent of the Non-Club-Club. I might even drive one of my 914's the 1660 miles if I was feeling bold... Valve adjustment and an oil change before I leave and maybe one there too?
Actually, I will check the schedule before I go... Maybe I can get beaten by the Midwest Contingent while I am there too!
Too bad COMMANGSAC is not still being held. It was on the tarmac at the Air National Guard Armory at the airport. I think it was the Corvettes of Minnesota, Minnesota Air National Guard Super Autocross Course. This was one event I never missed. I have a picture of my corded Michelin XVS tires around here somewhere. I had to blackflag myself after the first run. I was the tech inspector.
Well, Hi to Don Gettinger if you remember... He might remember me.

Rob
Dominic L
QUOTE(mskala @ Jul 6 2006, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Dominic L @ Jul 5 2006, 08:49 PM) *

Hi Dominic,
Yep Zone 1 is in Mass this year, I plan on going unless really poor weather. Should be 914's present if anything like 2004.

This is a great air strip, come run on it before it's gone. Which I hear may be happening next year.

So your the guy whose video I keep watching to get tips on driving these cars!! When my brother and I get our sh*t together we'll be buying one of your video setups. Looks like the cat's meow!

I think we're going rain or shine. Our car is stock except for Webers and Bursch exhaust. The car sat in pouring rain while we waited for the weather to clear a bit during a driving school event and still ran like a champ. Hope the weather's nice though. Rain gear is a pain while working the track!

Hope to see you there, Mark

Oh and here's a picture of our car leaning in a sweeper!

Click to view attachment

At least in this pic it's on all fours! We had it lifting the inside front tire at one event! Some handling mods are in the works soon!!

QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 5 2006, 05:59 PM) *

Lets see here...the car is prepped per STS2 rules

-stock torsions
-22mm front sway bar set 2.25" from full soft
-150lb rear springs
-stock rear sway bar

-Koni yellows rear with threaded aluminum collars
-old (3rd/4th? hand) koni reds in the front
-Poly bushings

-Kerry Hunter header
-Butler aluminum seat
-Momo steering wheel

-6.5" Minilite Wheels
-205-50-15 Falken Azenis RT-615
-1" spacer in front with 58mm lug bolts

-2 degrees of camber all around
-max caster front
-1/8" toe out front
-1/8" toe in rear

I tried to keep the spring rates down on the car because we tend to run on "rough" venues. This tour event was on a very smooth and VERY sticky surface. This is the most body roll I have seen on the car since before it had sway bars! I'm not sure if it's a problem though. I'll trade a little body roll for a slightly softer suspension.

David, thank you for posting your mods. I think we'll keep the spring rates soft too as we run on some real bumpy lots too.
mskala
Thanks Dominic, hope to see you there. Plenty of people (a lot of 944s) are leaning that much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.