Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which 5-point belts and where to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Any opinions on the best brand/model/length of 5-point seat belts to use in a 914? Good vendor? Pelican doesn't seem to carry any at the moment...

Thanks,
Steve
Zeke
If you mount your seat on the floor like I did, you will have a tough time with any of the belts as they come from the manufacturer. They are way too long. Fred Crow at Crow enterprises in Anaheim CA will make up a set from your measurements to mid chest and to where the latch will rest on your stomach as you sit in the seat. This is for no extra charge and he shipped mine the same day. They hae some nice tie downs as well. Prices are very good. Everything is SFI rated and will pass tech anywhere.
campbellcj
I really like the Schroth harnesses. They are spendy, but are German made and the hardware, latches and webbing all seem to be very good quality. The shoulder straps are very LONG but can be cut down.

I get 'em from Sube Sports (where Pelican gets their seats and various other Sparco & Momo stuff IIRC), but other vendors carry them too.
campbellcj
By the way, you might want to consider "pull up" lap belts. They are far easier to tighten correctly by yourself in a typical cramped 914 cockpit & race seat, and they keep the adjuster hardware and slack belt ends out of the way a bit better than the pull-down flavor.
EdwardBlume
I don't like saying bad things about prods, but I've gone through 2 latches on my crow 5pt harness. They get stuck in the locked position to where it practically takes a crow (no pun intended) bar to get it unlatched. A very dangerous potential.

Each time I took it back, I was comp'ed an new latch - no questions asked. I'd try another make for starters.
Brad Roberts
I have had problems in the past with Crow latches also. I stick with Simpson camloc or latch style. I thought Rob was joking with me when he said he had the problem.. then I got to experience it in his car.. not fun.

The only thing I trim off are the shoulder harness of the Simpson's (I know Steve will have to mount his seat to the floor).

B
jnp914
My experience race cars is to avoid the lever latch type and go with the rotary latch. I found it more comfortable, and impossible to open by catching the lever with a glove cuff, etc.

I have used Sabelt in three race car applications. The first was pull-down, the last two were pull-up. Go for the pull-up, getting the adjusters closer to the floor are a lot easier on the hip bones.

The only possible negative aspect of the Sabelts for me was the stiff nature of the fabric. When I come off track and exit the pit lane I like to loosen the shoulder belt adjusters and get some relief from the pressure. I don't really notice it on track, just when I start to relax on the way to my trailer. Anyway, the stiff fabric doesn't seem to want to release through the adjuster, so I have to actuate the buckle release. No big thing, just a small matter.

And if you need any sort of hardware, try Pegasus. They offer bolt-in ends of varying angles, etc. that make a difficult installation a little easier.
Part Pricer
I've heard really good things about Bill Simpson's new company, Impact Racing.

IPB Image
kdfoust
Lesson learned on SPARCO harnesses: if they aren't in stock then don't even think about them. It took Sube 3 months to get a set of Sparco's for me.

Kevin
siverson
Thanks for the tips - a set of Schroth belts are on their way. More engine break-in this weekend, belts sometime next week, and I'm off on a road trip next weekend! mueba.gif

-Steve
Joe Bob
Steve....still interested in that 3.6 chip?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.