Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesclassicvws
I need help solving a problem. I have a 1973 914 I've been slowly restoring these past 6 months. the engine lid was missing the torsion springs when I bought the car and I went to install a set yesterday. When I install the springs the torsion pulls the hinge on the passenger side out of wack and the lid won't close properly. If I push on the outside edge of the lid I can force the lid back into position but the springs are putting to much pressure on the hinge assy.. How can i fix this? Any help would be appreciated.
lapuwali
It's quite likely the part of the hinge that's welded to the firewall is broken. This is a very common problem. The bracket sags, and this allows the lid to shift so it won't close anymore. You'll need to either get the bracket welded up, or replace the bracket entirely. Examine that bracket carefully, and you'll probably see cracks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 4 2006, 10:27 AM) *

It's quite likely the part of the hinge that's welded to the firewall is broken. This is a very common problem. The bracket sags, and this allows the lid to shift so it won't close anymore. You'll need to either get the bracket welded up, or replace the bracket entirely. Examine that bracket carefully, and you'll probably see cracks.

agree.gif
newto914s
Make sure if you get it welded they weld it flush with no gap. Brought my car to a place to have them tack weld my hindge back(it pulled out a little while working under the hood) and they left a 1/4 in space. I didn't have the hood with me to test fit it. Then when I got home and put it on the gaps were all off. headbang.gif
johannes
Have the same problem.

The right hinge is loose and would need to be rewelded. For instance it hold the lid at the proper place but I had to remove one of the two springs.

I will fix that one day. smash.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.