Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gear confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
OK, I bought my 914 a year ago, it came with a built spare transmission, and enough spares to build another tranny.

I was going through all the spare gears that came with my purchase (of course none were matched) and I came across this:

the gear on the left is stamped "P" has 29 teeth, the gear on the right is stamped "M" has 29 teeth.

a 901 P is 23:27

the M is 22:29

Are the 914 gears labeled differently than the 901 gears?

I also have a "F" input shaft from a known 901 box, In my box of 914 tranny spares I have a shaft marked "S" with the same amount of teeth..(18) whats up with that?

Brad, I dont know dick about 914 boxes... I thought they were 901's and the gears would be labeled as such.

BTW Ill have a bunch of 901 gears for sale as soon as I figure this all out...

I have most of the alphabet covered beerchug.gif
TimT
oops I should add that "M" gear set is from my 901 parts bin...its a known gear set..
Bleyseng
So far out of the three 914 trannys I have taken apart, the gear sets were labeled whatever. I had to count the teeth!

Geoff
redshift
I have an H mainshaft. How much trouble is it to machine off?

M
Brad Roberts
Geoff is correct.. most of the letters dont mean anything. You have to count the teeth and "determine" what it is...then mark it.

I may be semi interested in some of the gears.

B
J P Stein
I'm interested in either of the first 2 letters of the alphabet....mostly the 2nd.
brant
I'm interested in a few gears also...
I'll watch here for something when your ready to post what you have..

or please mail me a list at your convience.

brant914@hotmail.com
brant
Tim,

you've got PM

brant
TimT
What gets me is all the 911 901s Ive worked on, the gears were clearly marked with a letter that corresponded with the ratios published by Porsche,.

No counting teeth.

The 914 gears have letters punched in them that apparently mean nothing.

You would think the gear suppliers were the same for the 901 and 914 boxes?

When I get everything sorted Ill post a list of the gear sets I have using the 901 letter system

I know I have the following already:

A,F,GA,K,Q,V,M,S,O,Z,ZD

(F&GA are input shafts)

Ill have to add more to the list soon.

BTW M&S are not for sale, but it looks like I may have doubles of the M&S

right now I have 2 914 sideshifters, a 911 box and a 901 box..YIKES
brant
Brad can you answer a question for me.
Is there sometimes a gear that will work in one location and not another.

what I'm getting at is that I was told to find a 4th gear "O" and the person who told this to me seemed to be saying that there were some "O"'s that were made for 4th and some that were made for other spots in the box.

Does this make since?
brant
TimT
JP sorry, I have "A"'s the next gear I have is an "F" LOL
TimT
ok sorted some stuff out today, in addition the the gears I previously posted, I have:

29:23 (N or Z)
27:25 (R or V)
31:22 (Z)

I have two F input shafts ( second gears)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.