Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How to get rid of a used dishwasher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
San Jose / NorCal peeps,

I have a working (but old) dishwasher I need to get rid of but I don't want to pay to put it in the ground. Does anyone around here know how to get rid of such a thing? I tried Goodwill (nope) and don't want to spend all day calling charities (and most are probably closed today anyway).

I can sawzall-smiley.gif it as a last resort but would rather not take the time.

If I end up dismantling it I may keep the motor, but I don't think it's as strong as my old washing machine motor. burnout.gif

Dr Evil
Put an add in the paper and enjoy all of the unique people that come to look at it wink.gif

Actually, when I moved I put everything up on Craigs list. Most stuff taken with in the first 3 hours.
Andyrew
It IS the fourth...

I vote blow it up..
TimT
Save it and use it as a dedicated parts washer
Allan
QUOTE(TimT @ Jul 4 2006, 03:44 PM) *

Save it and use it as a dedicated parts washer

agree.gif
scottb
put it at the end of the drive with a sign that says "free"

if after a few days it isn't gone, change the sign to "for sale $25"

someone with steal it within 24hrs......
jonwatts
Haven't you heard of the Craigslist Strangler?

I was trying to think of some alternative way to use it for anodizing aluminum parts; but true to silicon valley the real estate this thing takes up is worth more the the item so no partswasher for me sad.gif

I definitely do better with "take it somewhere and drop it" vs "come and get it". Not sure why probably just wacko.gif

LowGT
Push it off the back of the truck on the interstate. biggrin.gif
marks914
I put a sign on my old one that said, " FREE WORKS" and put it at the end of the driveway.

It was gone in about 15 minutes

Works well for air conditioners, vacuums, lawnmowers, mother in laws

Mark
MBowman325
I had a washer and dryer that a good friend of mine's brother came to buy, and as they were loading 'em up, I reminded him that the discounted price included the mandatory dish washer. smile.gif

(Which come to think of it, is similiar to how I got my FIRST 914...)
clarkcou
Try Freecycle.com for your area.
DBCooper
Sawzall party!
anthony
Ad on craigslist or these guys:

http://www.jacoinc.net/

They will come and pick it up and recycle it for $25.
Bleyseng
Jon, put it in the garage and use it as a parts washer! boldblue.gif av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
blowup.gif
maf914
Last month, our old dishwasher was on it's last legs, making a awful grinding noise, so we bought and I installed a new replacement. Project went smoothly and only took a couple of hours. Imagine that. laugh.gif

The old one got dumped into the metal recycle bin at the local recycle center. thumb3d.gif
elwood-914
Hmm, is it kinda square looking?.........Put a six in it! driving.gif
neo914-6
garbage co. will pick up 3 large items for $21, best deal in town...
DBCooper
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 5 2006, 06:55 AM) *

garbage co. will pick up 3 large items for $21, best deal in town...

Sawzall, I'm telling you. In ten minutes you can make that one large item into two dozen small ones and send them all out with the recyclable cans, saving yourself $21. Not only that, but you can make it a party! Those SoCal guys don't seem to need any special reason to have a barbque, imagine the goings on if they had some appliances to cut up!
jonwatts
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:45 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Best answer so far biggrin.gif

Looking in to Freecycle.com, and the other suggestions, thanks!

maf914
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jul 5 2006, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:45 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Best answer so far biggrin.gif

How about "You can't turbo a dishwasher!" laugh.gif

Well, somebody had to say it. rolleyes.gif
BigDBass
I put a sign on my old one that said, " FREE WORKS" and put it at the end of the driveway. Works well for mother in laws
Dang, your mother-in-law is functional? Lucky you!
mharrison
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 4 2006, 02:29 PM) *

I vote blow it up..

agree.gif

You see, the secret to appliance (or anything) disposal is Parts Per Million
IPB Image

The Red Green show had a great episode about appliance disposal through explosives that primarily featured the Edgar "Ka Boom" Montrose explosives expert character.

"Any problem (including leaky roofs and getting rid of weeds) can be solved with explosives."
shaggy
explosives w00t.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XC9oALoSHzI&search=gernade

that could be done to a dishwasher too....

-shaggy
Dr. Roger
Bay Area Eco-Friendly Appliance pickup.

http://www.jacoinc.net/pickup.aspx

although the /6 idea is a good one too.... =-)
morph
I post stuff on www.freecycle.org or in the free section on craigslist and most of it goes pretty fast.
ninefourteener
Stick it out in the back yard...... and when your in-laws come to visit, tell them it's the outhouse.

Be sure to tell them to close the lid when they are finished.

smile.gif

Seriously..... put it out on the street with a sign "FREE-WORKS".. it'll be gone in under a day... I put out a SET (washer and drier) when I bought my home a few months ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.