Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track day at BIR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I took my car out for it's first thrashing on the 3 mile roadcourse at Brainerd Int'l raceway in MN. Everything seemed like it was working well and then I realized I need race rims & race rubber to go faster. I guess I'll have to save up for these luxuries. As it was, I was still setting a pretty good pace in relationship with all the other 996 turbos, Pantera GT, Trick Corvettes, etc. Of course a guy had to show up in a Carrera GT and show off for the crowd ( I loved it...glad he was there to show off his $480K supercar...sounds awesome!). I hit 160mph on the straight and felt pretty good about how the car behaved. I need bigger torsion bars, stiffer springs, and race rubber to go faster though. All in all a great learning experience.

Bill smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
More pics!
So.Cal.914
Your car looks like it is going 160 PARKED. It may not have been the fastest

but it was the best looking.
dinomium
Right on! I love BIR. I worked my first endurance race in the pits fueling a Showroom Stock Rx7 there back in 1987! AND Paul Newman knocked my hotdog and popcorn out of my hands!

Yeah, that was a good time...
and you car does look "track ready!"
iamchappy
Bill, you are amazing, what was the event.

I fear that I would wreck my car up there, it's such a long fast track, I did all my go kart racing there as a kid when it was called Donnybrook. Turn three strikes fear in me, I can see my car now upside down in a ditch.

spare time toys
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 5 2006, 03:08 AM) *

Right on! I love BIR. I worked my first endurance race in the pits fueling a Showroom Stock Rx7 there back in 1987! AND Paul Newman knocked my hotdog and popcorn out of my hands!

Newman is an ass bootyshake.gif When he came to the races in Dallas at Fair Park or up in Addison I lost any respect for him. He would sit in his car or trailer and not talk to the fans that were around untill the TV guys were around then he was Mr. good guy with the crowd. alfred.gif
wbergtho
Hello all,

The event was put on by www.slowpokes.org The event is quite informal and they allow slow to fast cars on the track at the same time. Passing is by contract. Everyone got out of the Carrera Gt's way. That thing shreik's down the runway sounding like a F-14. Chappy...your'e right about turn 3...it looks scary beyond that point...a patch of grass and then BLAMMM...into the trees. There are a few spots where I can invision this happening. To all the other guys...thanks for the friendly comments...it was a blast!

Bill
wbergtho
pics
Brad Roberts
Awesome Bill!!

Glad you got to see/hear a CGT at speed. It is something all Porsche people should experience.

You car looks great! (leaning a little here and there, but you knew that)

Fun huh?

B
dinomium
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jul 5 2006, 06:30 AM) *

QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 5 2006, 03:08 AM) *

Newman is an ass bootyshake.gif When he came to the races in Dallas at Fair Park or up in Addison I lost any respect for him. He would sit in his car or trailer and not talk to the fans that were around untill the TV guys were around then he was Mr. good guy with the crowd. alfred.gif

I didnt want to hijack the thread with my brush with greatness, but Mr Newman is a class act! He said he was very sorry. He chatted me up for a couple of minutes and said he was sorry again and walked away. I went back to the car empty handed and told the guys what had happend. The you are so BS started.
About twenty minutes later, Paul Newman comes over to our pits, now dressed in street clothes and has a BOX of hotdogs, sodas and popcorn for me and my whole team! He stayed awhile signing autographs, swapping stories and letting my goofball cousin snap a bunch of fotos...
This was on practice day, but still I was amazed at how "normal" the guy was. He shook all of our hands and wished us good luck.

The exsact oposite of your meeting.
Lou W
You need to get your car on video and share it with us. driving.gif ph34r.gif
BigDBass
Yeah, Bill's car is sweet and sounds damn scary. ph34r.gif

Paul(lotus_65) has a teaser of a video posted here somewhere.

I heard rumors of Bill throttle-steering through the entire route of the WI/IL/MN gathering "fun run" a couple weeks ago! biggrin.gif
wbergtho
Lies lies and more lies. Rumors of me throttle steering my car? Surely you are only kidding here? Anyone that knows me well, will vouch for me as being a law abiding gentleman of leisure...a courteous kind and caring driver who pays absolute attention to all laws...and would never consider stepping across the line.

Regards,

Bill av-943.gif
jim912928
Bill, sure wish I could have made it to Brian's to see your car. If you ever get back around milwaukee let me know when you are coming!
Dave-O
Bill, It looks like you had fun! One of these years I'll do a little lapping. It's good to see that that you stayed safe out there. Takes a lot of driver for that car.

Let me know if you want to chat about suspension.
wbergtho
Hey Dave,

Let me know where you are hanging these days? Is it WI or MN? Or both? I would like to get together some time soon and shoot the breeze with you!

Bill
neo914-6
clap56.gif

wish I was there to see it...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.