Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megaphones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I like really LOUD open exhaust. Who doesn't? cool_shades.gif

with the exception of Laguna, the the Db limit is 103.
My SIX goes to 7300 rpm's. How loud will it be?

I'm planning on making a set. dry.gif

Any ideas?

KT
Heeltoe914
I have a used two bolt set that worked great on my 3.2 with 1 3/4 headers. Its sounds like a race car should. LOUD as all get up. But at the same time so sweet.

will sale 50 for set.
Trekkor
I want them...

Can I see a picture?

KT
Trekkor
I was wondering is there any danger to the engine, specifically the valves, when running an open exhaust? Cool air rushin back to the valves and warping, bending etc?

Thanks,

KT
redshift
Not that I have ever heard of. Only time I know that is a problem, is with a leak at the head.

I got a set of phones with a /4 I bought once, and we put them on, and went driving around Miami for a day... and only got pulled over once.

laugh.gif

M
slivel
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 6 2006, 10:42 AM) *

I was wondering is there any danger to the engine, specifically the valves, when running an open exhaust? Cool air rushin back to the valves and warping, bending etc?

Thanks,

KT

There is a fair chance that your mixture will need to be richened if you uncork the exhaust. I typically go up one jet size on my mains (Weber 46's) when I go from mufflers to open pipes.

Steve
Joe Bob
My seat of the pants dyno on my 2.0/6 S motor found a significant loss of bottom end power....
grantsfo
Good! I need to be able to hear what you are doing if I ever get out on the track with my car. Note people will also hear your mistakes a little easier too.
jgara962
QUOTE("Z" @ Jul 6 2006, 12:23 PM) *

My seat of the pants dyno on my 2.0/6 S motor found a significant loss of bottom end power....

agree.gif
I put on a GT style open exhaust on my car. Just driving around, I can tell a difference in a lack of low end power vs the Birsch. But man, does it sound bitchin'! aktion035.gif
Trekkor
Yes, the sound is important too. smile.gif

I don't think low end will be an issue as I am at 4500 rpm's and above on track.

( am I wasting my time? )

KT
J P Stein
You'll loose mid range power due to the loss of the ballance tube effect of a properly
engineered muffler.

You want noise?
Do a GT engine lid & remove your rear window....trust me.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 6 2006, 08:10 PM) *

You'll loose mid range power due to the loss of the ballance tube effect of a properly
engineered muffler.

You want noise?
Do a GT engine lid & remove your rear window....trust me.

I totally agree. Listen to good advice Trekkor.
campbellcj
Yep the midrange can drop; however you might pick up significant power at the top-end. If you keep the revs in the meat of the powerband then there is no problem. For autocross it would be problem if you have to hold a particular gear to avoid a shift and need to pull cleanly from low revs but this is not typically an issue on the track. FWIW my car seems to pull much better up top with the megaphones than the Dansk sport muffler...
Root_Werks
Some have already said it, you'll loose the cross extraction you have now. Which means less torque. Unless you run above 6000rpms all the time, leave the muffler on.

If you want loud cross extraction, just put on a dual tip muffler.
john rogers
I run stingers on my 2L vintage race car and as Steve noted above the jetting has to be fattened up some when switching from a muffler. I have to go from 160 mains to 170 mains on the Weber tripple throats. Above 7K they make a very high pitched sound and I have started to wear ear plugs as my eard ring after a 30 minute race. If the car is dyno'd for the megaphone/stingers then you wull make more power as was shown on my dyno tests with 185HP at the rear wheels with stingers and 172HP with the muffler with dual outlets that makes exactly 92 DB. If you do change the exhaust, invest in some dyno time to get things set right because as Wayne Baker sez "an hour of dyno time is worth at least 4 hours of work at the track". My experience has shown this to be true.
Joe Bob
HUH....WHAT????

I LEFT MY EAR PLUGS AT HOME....I'M NOT SHOUTING......
Trekkor
Thanks for the replies.

Another "creation" I've been dreaming about is taking two "Cherry Bomb" glass packs , shortening them to 18" an welding a mounting flange to them for fun.

Maybe I'm just bored idea.gif

KT
Van914
trekkor,
Why go to all that trouble. Just buy race muflers from Jeg's or Summit.
van914
Trekkor
I like a project... welder.gif smash.gif

Phase 9's would be nice though. idea.gif

KT
TimT
here a project,

Pair of Coast mufflers, with a crossover I made.

The mufflers are straight through. Plenty loud if thats what your after

The systems really shrieks at 7500 RPM

Burns stainless makes a similar muffler to the Coast. Both the Coast and Burn mufflers are available witht either glass packing, or stainless wool packing, and are rebuildable.

werd up yo
Trekkor
I like that!! clap56.gif

I don't understand what the crossover does?

KT
Trekkor
This is what I currently use.

KT
Root_Werks
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 7 2006, 12:22 PM) *

I like that!! clap56.gif

I don't understand what the crossover does?

KT

It creates cross extraction for the exhaust. Similar in function to the old "H" pipes used on muscle cars decades ago. Just having your exhaust dump out somewhere will not yield as much smooth power (torque) as a "tuned" system. If you're looking for loud, that's easy. But I would keep it cross extracted. wink.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(TimT @ Jul 7 2006, 11:58 AM) *

here a project,

Pair of Coast mufflers, with a crossover I made.

The mufflers are straight through. Plenty loud if thats what your after

The systems really shrieks at 7500 RPM

Burns stainless makes a similar muffler to the Coast. Both the Coast and Burn mufflers are available witht either glass packing, or stainless wool packing, and are rebuildable.

werd up yo

....now thats cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.