Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Total parts list for megasquirt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I have finally come to the conclusion that the 2.0L D-jet will not optimize my 98mm x 78mm Type IV. Thus, a new EFI system. It seems that megasquirt has been very useful in this type of engine and reasonably priced. However, when I try to identify all the parts I would need to set up a budget, I find I am not sure what all is needed.
From my understanding, I can use the 2.0L injectors, plenum and TB.
So do in need:
MS I or II? $240 vs 330 vs 240
Wire harness? $68
Relay board? $90
Simulator? $75
Tunning cable? $7 vs 70
I appreciate the input.
Larry
lapuwali
MSI v. MSII partly depends on what you're going to do over time. MSI WILL work with your setup, though several have reported you can get smoother idle settings with the higher resolution available from MSII.

Yes, get a wiring harness. Makes life a lot easier.

Relay board is iffy. Makes installation easier, but it depends on how and where you intend to mount your ECU.

Yes on the stim if you're going to build a kit. If you buy pre-built, this is optional.

You also should consider a wideband setup (Innovate LC-1: $200).

Mueller
you forgot:

TPS ($10 to $75, used, ebay or new, it is a wear item, I'd go with new)
CHT (you can use the stock one, but once again, I'd go with a new unit to play it safe)
Air intake temp sensor (same as above)

I did my 1st MS install for less than $300 including the MS which I had to build myself. I used a brand new GM part for the air temp sensor and a new TPS.
lapuwali
TPS is optional (can use MAPdot mode in MS to use the MAP sensor for acceleration enrichment, which is all the TPS is used for with MS).

You can use the stock air temp sensor, or replace the air temp sensor with a GM part (cheap, readily available, and the "open-cage" design is often more responsive).

And, if you're using stock D-Jet injectors either you need to buy or make a resistor pack (the L-Jet part will work), or you need to use the "PWM" current limiting setup on MS (v3.0 board or later, MSI or MSII), though many seem to find the resistor pack angle easier to deal with.

DNHunt
I made the switch from MS I to MS II and MS II much better but, it's also more work and more complicated. If you are up for the challenge go with MS II on a version 3 board. Get the relay board and bring your FI harness to there. It provides extra fusing and relays you will need for the fuel pump. MS II and the v 3 board can go in the engine bay if you want (mine is in my console because my MS I went there). The stock location would probably be good but make sure it's not too much trouble to get at cause you WILL mess with it. Be ready to learn.

Dave
JPB
Friends, if my Megasquirt thread dosen't make it for a classic, lets make this one a classic by cracky. We need a complete parts list, cost, and general info on what we can do to make this easy and a viable alternative to the stock option or carbs.

beer.gif Are ya with us? yes1 Then dump your hearts out for this cause!!!PLZ!
lapuwali
I'm working on a Fuel System FAQ, to compliment the other FAQs. I'll be including stuff on MS and other PEFI conversions.
lmcchesney
smile.gif Thanks everyone. Looks like I will need to do some shoping and learning.
Larry
yarin
Ok you asked for it...

MS II V.3.0

Here are most of my pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594124768996/

Thanks to all who have helped me get off the ground. It took me a few months of struggling with various MS and non-MS related issues but the car is finally running well. Sometime soon I hope to write something up about my build from start to finish and post it on the web somewhere for people to reference.

For now feel free to inquire about anything that looks tasty.

Enjoy!

givemebeer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.