Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 06 Pontiac GTO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
My Dad just drove down to visit from WA in his new toy. 2006 Pontiac GTO with a 6.0 LS2 V8 Making 400HP and a six speed manual. What a hoot. If I owned it I would be in jail in no time.

He had the last model year of the WS6 Trans Am before and the GTO is 10 times the car as the Trans Am. Good fit and finish, very quiet (no road noise) and the torque is killer.
turboman808
Really cool car. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing.
TravisNeff
agree.gif He got it in a charcoal grey as well. Stealthy. Quite a bit of car for under 30k. (locally in the paper they were doing specials on them at a dealer for 26K).
Rrrockhound
Great car. Too bad it's NARP (not a real Pontiac).
JPB
Love the look bro, love the look.
So.Cal.914
It's nice to see the GTO back.
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 5 2006, 05:47 PM) *

Unfortunately, the GTO has been discontinued. Slow sales, and tougher US safety laws has caused GM to pull the plug. Do a goolge search for more information.

-Chris
GWN7
They didn't allow them up here sad.gif
Allan
Isn't the GTO a Cavalier with a Vette motor?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(madd_dogg_914 @ Jul 5 2006, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 5 2006, 05:47 PM) *

Unfortunately, the GTO has been discontinued. Slow sales, and tougher US safety laws has caused GM to pull the plug. Do a goolge search for more information.

-Chris

I had a 64 and a 67 Goat, so I got my fill. But it was nice to see them come back,

If only temporary.
Brett W
Neat cars but the still have GM problems. Chintzy interior pieces and poor fit and finish. Some things never change.

They are however, a cam change away from 500hp. The LS2 is a great motor, 15lbs lighter than the early LS1 engines and even more efficient.

I wish the cars weren't so heavy. Would love to build a high speed cruiser.
Mueller
nothing like telling a new GTO owner "hey, nice Saturn" poke.gif biggrin.gif
Jeff73
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 5 2006, 08:10 PM) *

You show me a car for under 30K that can even come close to the same track numbers as the GTO. I wouldn't mind a 4 seater corvette. But, on the down side it does look like a Cavalier of Doom.
GWN7
If I remember the new GTO's are Holdens made in the land of OZ. Same cars as in the Mad Max movies.....
Mueller
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 5 2006, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jul 5 2006, 08:28 PM) *

You show me a car for under 30K that can even come close to the same track numbers as the GTO. I wouldn't mind a 4 seater corvette. But, on the down side it does look like a Cavalier of Doom.

$28K Mitsu Evo, $27K Mazdaspeed 6

I'd take an Evo over the new GTO any day... MDB2.gif
BMartin914
Powerful, but so... yellowsleep[1].gif
Jeff73
First off, the Evo can pull a 12.8 out of the box but that is the RS. A MazdaSpeed 6 pulls something like 14 and a GTO pulls 12.5. Road courses I will give them both that one, but you don't buy American Muscle to road course. Plus you had just a cam and the Goat will easily be in the 11's. The other two aren't even close with just that mod.
wbergtho
LS2 engine? Awesome performance! 6.0 liters of simple American muscle. The LS7 is even more awesome and proves that you can make big torque & HP numbers from a pushrod V-8 w/ sensors & computer gizmos all over the engine....I know, I have a built LS6 in my 914. Any LS series motor will provide a huge bang for the buck. I just wished the new GTO looked more like a GTO...
TravisNeff
The interior pieces ARE way better than before. Soft touch plastics and no ABS look like his old Trans Am had. I was impressed over what I initially expected without seeing the car. It got 28MPG on the way down here as well. I like it.
ninefourteener
^^^^^^

I'd like to second that...... I own one. (a 2006 WRX)

El cheapo TR model.... under 24K.

So far, I've spent $650 on the COBB Accessport, and $400 on a free-flowing 3-inch exhaust and Downpipe.

285 HP, 330 TQ

If I upgrade (which I plan on doing this year) to an STI intercooler (under $300 on eBay), and a VF-39 turbo (under $500 on eBay)..... It'll put me up to 330 HP, and almost 400TQ.

Couple that with AWD, and better handling, and less weight, and better gas mileage, and more rear seat room, and 2 extra doors, and, and, and.......

And it's not the Cavalier of doom----LMFAO
TravisNeff
The car was purchased for 30k with some of those so called overpriced options. the 26k was in the newspaper. There is not a lot of options on the car. No one was saying that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread -but you are sure trying to say it is a heap of shit on wheels. what gives?
ninefourteener
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 6 2006, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 6 2006, 12:20 PM) *

^^^^^^

It'll put me up to 330 HP, and almost 400TQ.

....scary! Will the stock tranny/diff handle that?

Oh yea... no problem at all. Granted, it may wear the clutch down a little faster, but I'm not the type to drop the clutch anyway.. I'm pretty easy on it.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 6 2006, 04:03 PM) *

No one was saying that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread -but you are sure trying to say it is a heap of shit on wheels. what gives?

agree.gif

For a group of people who enjoy a Porsche model that receives constant abuse from the unwashed masses (because it's "not a real Porsche"), one might expect a bit of enthusiasm for people who choose to drive a different, but still unusual, ride.

Personally I'd love to drive a GTO.
ninefourteener
^^^^^

Sure... I'm sure they are fun to drive.... and I really don't think nyone is saying that they are a "heap of shit on wheels"...... but I think the general consensus is that there is a REASON they didn't sell well.

GMs are notorious for being 90,000 mile cars..... thats it.

The resale value on average drops 25%-35% in the first YEAR.

And quite frankly, you can get just as much car, for the same money, or less.

Would I drive one? Sure.
Would I BUY one? Never.
Eric_Shea
Coolest American Iron in a long long time.
turboman808
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 6 2006, 12:18 PM) *

but I think the general consensus is that there is a REASON they didn't sell well.

Honestly didn't even know about this car until after it was discontinued. Bad marketing if you ask me.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 6 2006, 01:34 PM) *

I'd say its more like a semi soft turd on wheels. Just wait a couple years and you'll be able to pick one up for $15K might as well let somone else take the huge depreciation hits that come with Pontiacs.

Sure, what other american car has good resale? A honda or toyota has good resale, but they haven't got much soul either. I'll save my 15k for a used boxster, they depriciate fast too.

MBowman325
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 5 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Isn't the GTO a Cavalier with a Vette motor?

That's damn close to what it looks like. The GTO, to me, was an experiement. I'm typically a function over form guy, but the GTO reminds me too much of a car with looks pulled from a Grand Am, Grand Prix, and Cavalier. It'd be nice to see a good lookin car built like that, but I doubt it'll happen. The Holden was a slick car, too bad GM couldn't just import that.

GM, we make vehicles! Wait, no, that's not right.... GM, we sheeplove.gif

/Short Rant

Otherwise, I love MY GM products.
Loser_Cruiser
The gto in that link only has the LS1. THat could be why is has depricated so much.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 6 2006, 02:02 PM) *

As a Boxster owner I can say my car held its value farily well. Owned the car for over 4 years, put 50,000 miles on the car and sold it for 67% of its original purchase price. People who got hosed are those who paid far over MSRP when Boxster was hot and tried to dump the car during slow economic times.

Here's a fairly new (couple years old) low mileage (26,000) Pontiac GTO with full option package and its all ready lost huge amounts of resale value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-GTO...bayphotohosting

WTF.gif

DOOD! the ebay auction is not over yet. How the hell can you speculate what the final price will be when the auction ends in a few days?

You sure are trying hard to win an argument that really doesn't matter.
TravisNeff
Then bring you checkbook and shut the hell up biggrin.gif
jhadler
If I was looking for a $30k 4 seater Vette, I'd get a slightly used Corvetilac. The Caddy CTS-V is one mother of a mover, and with better suspension than the GTO...

Still, I had to admire GM for putting the Vette motor into as many different cars as they reasonably could.

Oooh, better yet, a late 90's Chevy Impalla SS. A friend of mine has one, says it handles like a big BMW (that's a compliment), and gets 28 mpg at 85 mph...

We had someone show up at an autox with an SS, and he would power brake the car at the start line. The rear wheels would -slowly- turn and grind with the car stationary... Totally cool to watch... A boat of a car on an autox course, but a heck of a nice touring car for big long stretches of american interstate...

But put me on a twisty mountain road, I'll take the teener in a heart beat...

-Josh2
TravisNeff
you can haul shit in just about any vehicle, LOL. blink.gif
Aaron Cox
you sure picked a pot to piss in....

thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread smile.gif
TravisNeff
We aim to please
Jeff73
I think we could go on and on and on and on....... My last input to this thread is that if you are paying 35K for a GTO you are paying to much. It is worth 30K and no more. You can mod a Ford Festiva and make it run 12's, but it always comes down to funds. Let's move on.
jhadler
I forget who said it, but it's just as true now as it was then...

"No amount of money can turn a pig into a race horse.... But you can make one hell of a fast pig!...."

-Josh2
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jul 6 2006, 01:47 PM) *

You can mod a Ford Festiva and make it run 12's,

Now THAT is something I wanna see!!! biggrin.gif
MBowman325
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 6 2006, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 6 2006, 02:35 PM) *

Oooh, better yet, a late 90's Chevy Impalla SS. A friend of mine has one, says it handles like a big BMW (that's a compliment), and gets 28 mpg at 85 mph...

-Josh2

Now that is a cool car. Chevy didnt try to pretend that it was some kind of Euro sports coupe. We had one here in SF Region SCCA at the last AX. It was amazing to watch. My neighbor has a real nice one.

Blew me away when a fellow owner (Impala) told me that he AX'ed his Imp down the the DFW area. I know a few guys that AX their Monte Carlos. I've gotten 33 MPG on a cool morning going downhill before. Long hauls were typically an average of 26-30 MPG. Still debating on keeping it or not....

My personal opinion, that was the last car GM made that was worth buying.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 5 2006, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jul 5 2006, 08:28 PM) *

$28K Mitsu Evo, $27K Mazdaspeed 6

Got to agree that the new Mazdaspeed6 is a nice car rented one a few weeks ago. The local dealers are discounting these 8K off of the true MSRP. This makes these at the low 20k and kills the resale for the people that payed close to list.

Bob

Downunderman
The last GTO was built on 14 June.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...18207&vf=12
jhadler
'came accross this article. Had to post it here... It's a review of the new police package Dodge Charger... shades.gif

Police Package Dodge Charger Review

-Josh2
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 6 2006, 05:17 PM) *

WTF.gif

DOOD! the ebay auction is not over yet. How the hell can you speculate what the final price will be when the auction ends in a few days?

You sure are trying hard to win an argument that really doesn't matter.

Additionally, there aren't that many people that paid MSRP for their GTO, especially the '04. Due to the complete lack of marketing, come '05 rollout time, there were still tons of '04 goats languishing on the lots. The normal '04 clearance incentives, combined with GM card deals, and other special offers led to some people getting their new GTO for as low as 17K with a majority of people paying between 19-23K.

That's a hell of a car for a heck of a price, and while a few people who coughed up 35K got hosed, there are many that actually made money, or got free use of a car for 20K miles. My buddy paid 21K for his '04, and as of a few months ago he'd put ~20K on it, and similar cars were wholesaling for 19K. Not too shabby.

The deals on the '04s and the 50 hp bump that everyone knew was coming has led to higher prices on the '05s, but as mentioned you can get an '05 for $26K new. Yeah the interior isn't BMW quality, but it's a lot better than the GM of old, and it has a definite european feel to it.

As for discontinuing the GTO. It was planned from the beginning as a 3 MY run. Lutz wanted to revive the GTO, and looked to the Auzzies for the Holden as a stop gap measure until GM could engineer a domestic GTO. I think it's scheduled for '08, and it should be mechanically similar/identical to the 5th gen Camaro.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.