Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phenomenal 914 Road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Wife and I are making our way up the Pacific Coast Highway. Started in Chula Vista about 4 miles from TJ on Sunday. Will end up as far north as we plan to go tomorrow in Port Orchard. Has been a great drive. Have done the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1 or 101) as much as possible. Had to bail out at Camp Pendleton, Huntington Beach (ugly traffic), and just north of Half Moon Bay (Highway 1 closed for construction) so far. Big sur was awesome, but yesterday hit a better stretch of Highway 1 in Mendocino County between Fort Bragg and Leggett. 22 miles of twisties through the Redwood Forest. Lots of curves at 20 and 30 MPH recommended, a couple at 10 MPH. Better than an old E ticket ride at Disneyland. Looking forward to hooking up with everyone this weekend!

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Gary @ Jul 5 2006, 10:34 PM) *

. Better than an old E ticket ride at Disneyland.

Your dating yourself, have fun and a safe drive.
DNHunt
I did the north part of that drive in 04 on the way to San Jose with my son. Itis still one of my fondest memories. Have a great time

Dave
rhodyguy
i wonder if the "22 mile" sign is on 199, the road from cresent city to grants pass? a fine road.

k
Gary
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2006, 07:10 AM) *

i wonder if the "22 mile" sign is on 199, the road from cresent city to grants pass? a fine road.

k

It's at the north end of Hwy 1 at the Leggett end, just as 1 hits 101 again. Missed taking a picture of the southern one at the Fort Bragg end driving.gif .
rhodyguy
damn, you made good time. what town was the "welcome to oregon" picture taken in? get dressed and start driving smile.gif. see you tomorrow. watch out for the new white w/blue stripe mustangs in ore. they have little blue lights hidden in the front of the cars.

k
Porsche Rescue
I have driven that 22 mile road from Leggett to Fort Bragg twice, once in a '68 911 and once in a 928. Best twisty I've ever driven (unless behind an RV).

Gary
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2006, 07:56 AM) *

damn, you made good time. what town was the "welcome to oregon" picture taken in? get dressed and start driving smile.gif. see you tomorrow. watch out for the new white w/blue stripe mustangs in ore. they have little blue lights hidden in the front of the cars.

k

Thanks for the tip. Haven't actually been in a big hurry for the trip, although certain stretches have beckoned opening her up a bit, hehe.

The "Welcome" picture was just north of Smith River, where we stayed Tuesday night. Crescent City was booked up for the 4th. Probably good we didn't stay there. Did a gas stop and it was a zoo.

Gonna go for a run on the beach here in Lincoln City, then we're outta here. A B&B in Port Townsend calls...
DNHunt
Port Townsend? That's really the long way to Portland.

Dave
Gary
Well....

I'm outta contention for the WCC. Ate the outboard passenger CV today cruising down the Kitsap peninsula towards Portland - was just outside of Port Ludlow doing a fairly hard pull in 2nd and grabbing for 3rd when the telltail ugly sound and no power to wheels came on. None of the local shops had a CV. Gonna get one tomorrow and throw her in. Will miss you guys, but had a great trip up the coast. Teener was running great the whole way - very few mechanical problems considering the length of the trip. The speedo cable went out at Huntington Beach, and the chrome windshield let loose around Nipomo.

Have fun going up the Columbia River gorge. Maybe next year...
Andyrew
Why dont you go? Fix it... and attend the rest!
BMITCHELL
Anybody near him who can help him out? He's almost there!
Gary
Wife had fun taking this one. Reminds me of the line in "Toy Story" where Buzz says to Woody, "You're mocking me, aren't you?"
Gary
At Kitsap Towing. Quality folks - called around to shops in the area and found one that could have a new half shaft tomorrow morning.

Gary
Cool towtruck
Gary
Is this normal???
SGB
umm....
aren't there supposed to be little balls in there?
Andyrew
Did the cage crack, allowing a ball to come out? Mine did that...

and yet another one just plain blew up....

So... you gona keep going to the wcc?
HeloMech
wow, two hits on Huntington Beach... lol. The traffic.. yeah, around main street (pier) is usually messed up, then they're doing construction down there. Putting in about 400 new homes and a new marina area as well. Once you get to about seal beach it's ok, but then you have to go through ghetto parts of long beach.. blah!
Gary
Well,

Yesterday didn't work out exactly as planned - the parts place ordered the wrong half shaft, then determined that the CVs were NLA (we knew that). Had a buddy come out and rescue us - brought a flatbed trailer. She's now parked in our driveway. WCC ain't happening for us this year, but we had a great drive up the coast.

Anyone got a line on a single CV joint?
ws91420
Pelican has a listing for a complete shaft.
DNHunt
Gary

I'll check my parts tonight when i get home. I may have a used 1 that might get you home and I could have my son run it out to you tomorrow.

I'll be home tonight around 7. Phone 253 851-6447

Dave
Brad Roberts
Gary,

I'm not clear on what I see in that pic...

Is that an adapter from early 911 to 914?

B
Aaron Cox
that does look like a giant 901 stub....
Gary
Dave,

Appreciate your checking - we were up just for the WCC, so we're flying out tonight. Actually moving back in a couple weeks to our house in University Place, so may well take you up on your offer then.

Brad / Aaron,

good eye - need to check that when I get back. The whole shaft is tucked in my trunk right now.
rhodyguy
gary, your wa plate had me confused. i remember your pictures from when you still lived un U.P. so you were dropping off the car, yes?

k
reedhmb
I saw your car when you apparently spent the night at a bed and breakfest on Main St. in Half Moon Bay. Talk about a small world. You have a very nice car. Mark
Gary
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 10 2006, 12:23 PM) *

gary, your wa plate had me confused. i remember your pictures from when you still lived un U.P. so you were dropping off the car, yes?

k

Yup, dropping off the teener as a 20th Anniversary vacation / WCC '06 trip. We'll be back up with the family and other household stuff in a couple weeks.
Gary
QUOTE(reedhmb @ Jul 10 2006, 12:29 PM) *

I saw your car when you apparently spent the night at a bed and breakfest on Main St. in Half Moon Bay. Talk about a small world. You have a very nice car. Mark

The Old Thyme Inn. Nice B&B. Half Moon Bay is beautiful. In fact the whole Pacific Coast drive was great (up until the CV joint gave way huh.gif ).

rhodyguy
welcome back. i sure like your t.s. and side marker lenses. you picked the worst weekend possible to break down.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.