Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: left rear suspension botl hole stripped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Hey guys,
While putting back on the trailing arms and torqueing the bolts that hold the outside front of the trailing arm and shims, one of the bolts would not torque down. Inspection after removal shows some threads came out with the bolt. All 5 others , two on drivers side and 3 on pass side torqued fine to 50 FT. Lbs.
Any quick fixes other than insert or helicoil?
Thanks,
Tom
dflesburg
extra long bolt, washers and nuts...
Brad Roberts
The extra long bolt is the only way to fly quickly. Make it pass all the way through the welded on nut and then nut it on top of that.

B
John
That's how I did the track car 18 years ago.

No problem.
Tom
Thanks for the replys. Here is the solution I found that worked for me. I went to Tacoma screw and talked to the guy there and he recommended a longer bolt. I got 10 x 70 mm to replace the 10 x 55 mm bolts. I chased the threads and put the longer bolts in and torqued successfully. Worked so well , I changed the other 5 bolts also. This probably would not have worked but this car has 4 shims totaling 8mm of thickness . On a car with less shims the bolt may bottom out. The just use a 65mm or 60 mm bolt.
Tom
John
I'm glad it worked out for you.

You can get MUCH longer bolts. They won't bottom out per se, but they will extend through the tops of the tapped tubes and allow you to put nuts on top to basically through-bolt them.

As an added benefit, the throughbolt method keeps dirt and water and junk out of the tubes that cause the bolts to become rusted in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.