Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler for 3.2 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Any suggestions on an oil cooler for a 3.2 conversion into a 914. Anything new and different out there??
CCLINLO
Brad Roberts
Not yet. I still have a wild idea about an extended factory style cooler.

B
boxstr
Well lay it on me brother. Let's go.
CCLINOILCOOLERLAND
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 10:09 AM)
Not yet. I still have a wild idea about an extended factory style cooler.

i know B. doesn't like it, but after seeing the 3.6L at the MUSR with the venting going out the hood (like i always wanted to do) i went and had a look at my friend jack's 328 Ferrari again.
it would be a perfect setup to copy for a 914.
i was trying to talk him into letting me do a fiberglas mold of the venting area, but had no luck sad.gif

if someone here on this board has a hood-vent from a 328 sitting on the shelf,
please let me know wink.gif

Andy
Brad Roberts
I have contacted Fluidyne about making a larger cooler that bolts into our stock 6cyl location. The cooler would be almost twice the thickness of the stock cooler. I'm going to take some more measurements tonight when I pick up Olavs 3.2 for some service work. It would require a new cooling duct from the fan shroud to the cooler (easy to make and look nice). When I first did my measurements the car had a stock 4 cyl Bosch starter... I need to see if it still clears with a stock 911 starter.

I may also have to provide them with cores. Having a new base cast would not work... at the same time I plan to increase the size of the tube for the suction side of the pump (where we modify them for 9146).

I spoke to Richard Clewitt about this at the German Autofest (he modify's ALL of Otto's/GPR's/RJ's 9146 conversion coolers).

B
Brad Roberts
Andy,

I know it works and it works well.. but street car people need a front trunk. It also is not legal in any SCCA racing.

When I see It.. I think FORD. GT40.

B
maf914
Brad,

How about some jumbo stock location oil coolers for the T4? Or is there no space for one?

Mike
Brad Roberts
he he... happy11.gif already thinking about that one.

The only way we can go is down. This would require a remote filter setup.

B
boxstr
If you need some help on this count me in. You can use this as a test mule since it is out of the car. I pickup the 3.2 Saturday. I want to keep the stock injection in place. I am also getting the brain and wiring harness,SS exhaust and etc.
What flywheel will I need for this conversion?? Any other secrets to be learned??
TIA
CCLIN3.2VILLE
Brad Roberts
Are you staying 901 or going 915 ?? use a stock 3.2 DME flywheel. KEP sells a conversion ring to use our push clutch plates and a stock looking 901 ring gear (basically its a ring gear cut off of a stock 4cyl flywheel with holes in it for the 3.2 flywheel.

I would buy the Kennedy stage 1 setup.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 10:24 AM)
When I see It.. I think FORD. GT40.

what's wrong with that? the GT40 is a pretty pretty car ...
so, it's illegal for scca. what about pca and poc ???

Andy
Brad Roberts
PCA and POC are fine.

I liked Rons car.. but his hood looked like SHIT.

I just ask that you please dont go this route for a street car.

There honestly is no need for that size cooler/hole unless the car is going to be tracked 99% of the time.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 10:41 AM)
I liked Rons car.. but his hood looked like SHIT.

that i agree with. that's why i'm looking for alternatives.
the F328 looks very stealth. i'll have jack swing by the shop one of these days.

that plus the cool mirrors you didn't let me buy and the porsche reflector and my car will be pretty again laugh.gif

Andy
boxstr
Okay called KEP, parts ordered. They need a two week lead time so. I will wait. Any reason not to order the Stage 2 kit??
Andy,is that the blue car with the big hole in the front hood?? If yes, I think it could be a little more refined in that area.
CCLINPALMDALE
Brad Roberts
Stage 2 kit gets a little tough in traffic on the clutch leg. Feel free to order it.. but I dont think you need it.

B
J P Stein
The stage 1 in my car is holding up well. You will have more torque, but will prolly get less abuse laugh.gif
My concern with a stiffer clutch was the clutch linkage/tunnel tube, et al....a stiffer clutch means more stress on that lash-up.

The front mount cooler (Fluidyne, in my case) doesn't preclude use of the front trunk. I have reinstalled a cover similar to the stock spare tire cover...with carpet & all. The venting thru the rear bulkhead is workin' gud.
boxstr
Okay, I copy. As far as the cooler is concerned, Brad the one you are refering to is a stock location mount, correct?? Not the up front under bumper type mount.
CCLINCAMBRAI
Brad Roberts
Correct. I wanted something that people could bolt on to the stock engine and not have to run lines/cooler up front. Different states will vary with temp.. but anything north of Santa Barabara doesnt need an external front mounted cooler unless your running the car in Time Trial or Club racing.

I'm finding that the stock cooler is close to being "ok" for the daily driving/spirited driving... I still have a 3.0 test car that doesnt need a front cooler and it gets raced in 100 degree heat.

B
olav
I don't have an external cooler and the engine stays between 180 and 200. I don't track the car just drive it around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.