Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: was the 914 a base for the DeLorean design?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
Watching "80s Tech" or something to that effect on History Channel last night and one part of the segment they talk about the DeLorean. There was a quick shot of a photo showing him in his office and on the wall there was the design for the DeLorean. But in that same split second my eye caught another partial poster on the wall of a skeleton schematic of what I swear was a 914 (showing the outline of the car with the engine and transaxle darkened in)!

Anybody know if there was ever any mention of the 914 as being a basis of the design thought for that car? Just thought it was odd to see that poster (saw the tail end with the mid engine and the sail panel which I consider a dead give-away to a 914)....

Not sure that I want to link the two... but then again they were both underpowered sporty cars... he may have copied that characteristic too well wink.gif
redshift
No.

The connection probably has something to do with that horrible Giugiaro thing called Tapiro that is a 1969 DeLorean.

icon8.gif

I am sick

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/showcar.p...ar_model_id=113

M
jasons
I saw that thing on the History Channel too. I had no Idea you could completely rebuild a Delorean out of new parts today! It was amazing to see all the original body parts on shelves.

From their site....

IPB Image
byndbad914
QUOTE(redshift @ Jul 6 2006, 04:40 PM) *

No.

The connection probably has something to do with that horrible Giugiaro thing called Tapiro that is a 1969 DeLorean.

M

Holy crap! That is like a Pantera/Mangusta/ WTF.gif mixed with a 914/6. It does explain why the poster of the 914/6 was on the wall tho'. What a trip... that basically looks just like a DMC.

So many of the European cars in the 70s looked alike. There is a BMW in the mid-70s that to this day I will still mistake for a Pantera if I see one on the track.
lapuwali
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jul 6 2006, 05:04 PM) *

So many of the European cars in the 70s looked alike. There is a BMW in the mid-70s that to this day I will still mistake for a Pantera if I see one on the track.

That would be the M1.

Click to view attachment

This is a Pantera.

Click to view attachment

The flying wedge shape was fairly limited, and you're right that they do all tend to look alike. The Maserati Merak, for example:

Click to view attachment

Or the Lotus Esprit, or the Maserati Bora, or the...
morph
it was a fiero
Pat Garvey
Umm, so what?

The Delorean was created by megalamaniac (read "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors") to see what this guy was about. Delorean may his reputation with Potiac division on the coattails of others.

The Delorean car was/is a piece of quality control heartbreaks and poor quality mechanicals. In short, it is/always has been a piece of crap! If I hurt the fealings of owners.....so what, get a usable car!

To put a Delorean in the same context of a Pantera (crude, but awesome) or a Merak (OK, at best) is like putting a Yugo (don't get me started on Malcom Briklin) up against a VW GTI.

I feel better now - vented!
BMartin914
Wow Pat, tell us how you REALLY feel!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Jul 6 2006, 10:35 PM) *

Wow Pat, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Sorry! As you can tell, I'm not a fan of John Delorean.

I am also, as ALL of my friends will tell you, very opinionated.

It is my belief that the likes of John Delorean & Malcom Bricklin, have bilked a lot of people out of good money based on their "made" reputations. They both screwed a lot of investors out of a lot off oney (shame on them) as well. I'll shut up now.
GeorgeRud
Hey, can the man who first imported Subaru 360s be all there anyway?
SGB
Unfortunately thats pretty true about the Delorian, I think. Feeble renault engine, way heavy, hard to get in. A lot of compromises were made to get it on the street- I don't remember what else. I think that became a technique with Mr D until he compromised too much...

I've always thought a pantera was like the ultimate kit car!

The M-1 was in a league above these. Closer to the pantera already really assembled. The were finished Group sumthins, made just enough streetable ones to campaign the racers, but I think the series evaporated before they got competative. Sometimes they ran LeMans as GT-2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.