Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Won't idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Carbed 1.8 motor, the valves are adjusted, the timing is okay, new plugs, new plug wires, 009 dizzy (it's all I had available) dellorto 36 carbs freshly rebuilt. Fires right up, blip the throttle to warm up and let it drop to idle and it drops down and runs for 10 seconds or so and then starts to stumble and dies.

Pulled idle jets and cleaned them, adjusted speed control screw to increase idle, played with timing, I get an occasional back fire from the 3-4 side of the motor, this is my first set of dells, I hear they are easier. Dwell is a little off, but not really bad (45.9). Any ideas? I have installed and tuned many Weber VW/Porsche carb setups, I even have the Tomlinson Delloto tech book!

When I crank it up and hold the throttle on it it seems to be strong, it pops a little, but probably a little timing.

Help!

I have set of webers that I am about to rebuild and throw on! mad.gif
bd1308
90% of "fuel delivery" problems are actually spark.

but it sounds like you, as I had in my case, were lucky enough to score the other 10%.

Check for a kinked line or something... thats what my problem was.

Good Luck!
tdgray
Don't know carbs on these cars...

I would check fuel pressure to start with.

Do Del's have float bowls??? Check to make sure floats are set correctly if it does.
1bad914
Dells don't use a T fitting for the fuel lines, they have a banjo fitting on one carb that splits the fuel and sends it to the other one. The carb that gets fuel first is acting up, that tells me that the fuel is making it to the other carb. Yes they have floats, I set them while rebuilding. I walked away from it for awhile, developed a little JAVA code for work and thought it thru, I may just re-build the webers and try them, I need to do that anyways, so that would elimenate the fuel issue.

Any other ideas?

Tom Perso
Sell it and put your BMW up on jackstands...

dry.gif

laugh.gif

Tom
1bad914
So I can be like you Tom? drunk.gif

It will drive out of the driveway tomorrow or be up for sale!! chair.gif

QUOTE(Tom Perso @ Jul 7 2006, 09:11 PM) *

Sell it and put your BMW up on jackstands...

dry.gif

laugh.gif

Tom

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Jul 7 2006, 05:00 AM) *

Carbed 1.8 motor, the valves are adjusted, the timing is okay, new plugs, new plug wires, 009 dizzy (it's all I had available) dellorto 36 carbs freshly rebuilt. Fires right up, blip the throttle to warm up and let it drop to idle and it drops down and runs for 10 seconds or so and then starts to stumble and dies.

Pulled idle jets and cleaned them, adjusted speed control screw to increase idle, played with timing, I get an occasional back fire from the 3-4 side of the motor, this is my first set of dells, I hear they are easier. Dwell is a little off, but not really bad (45.9). Any ideas? I have installed and tuned many Weber VW/Porsche carb setups, I even have the Tomlinson Delloto tech book!

When I crank it up and hold the throttle on it it seems to be strong, it pops a little, but probably a little timing.

Help!

I have set of webers that I am about to rebuild and throw on! mad.gif
Does it idle when cold? If so and it has to warm up before it stalls you may have a

tight valve. I don't think that dells are any easer than webers and visa versa.

Make sure that your dwell and timing is nuts, these T-4 are sensative.
1bad914
I found the problem...low compression on number 3! sad.gif 75 PSI, that would do it. I'm out, going up for sale tomorrow, will be in the classsifieds!! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.