Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get a 14 male plug at relay board?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
this is the one from the firewall to the board.

Or where can I get a 14 pin weatherproof and heat resistant male/female connector?
Brad Roberts
Unless you are dead set on it.. I would leave it in place and use the fuse holders and relays to trigger/turn on shit you may use in the near future. It makes for a clean way to get into the cabin if you ever need to wire anything from the engine.

Just a thought.

B
lapuwali
There aren't actually 14 connections that go from the relay board through the firewall, so you don't really need a single 14 pin connector. You can use a set of other connectors (Weatherpak's are cheap, waterproof, and readily available) to group the wires appropriately. Some of the wires on the 14 pin side actually start and end in the engine bay (like the reversing light wires, the battery + for the relays), some aren't going to be useful to you (switched power for blower fan), and others are just repeats (switched power appears 3-4 times).

switched +12 (from ignition switch)
tach
oil pressure
oil/coolant temp
charging system +12 (from G light)
starter

are the only wires that go from the tunnel to the engine itself. The switched +12 would be run to a fuel pump relay as well as the coil (or coils). A 6-pin Weatherpak would handle this.

If you put the ECU in the cabin, you'll need more, but those can go on their own connector(s).
Dave_Darling
I think there's a 928 part that is the connector you're looking for. I don't know the part number, but I recall reading that there is a 928 connector that fits "just right".

--DD
John
Why not call a salvage yard and have them cut BOTH 14 pin connectors from a taildragger (911). They use them to go between the engine and the main harness in the engine comp. (I don't remember which side is the male)

Or you could get one from a very early steering column/harness.
gopack
look in digikey for a waterproof connector. i found a 16 pin round one with a quick search. not sure of the wire guages etc so i didnt post a part number.

digikey catalog page
tech specs of this series
shoguneagle
I think you can get the 14-pin male plug at Parts Heaven where I paid $40 for one; a little expensive. I think it is a 928 part number as Dave says. I can find the part number if anyone really needs it. Probably can get through Patrick or possible Peligan; or some of the parts/dealers like them.

I am converting a 914-4 to a 3.2 1987 Carrera engine and eliminating the relay board. Will be running the Motronic Injection in stock configuration.

Hope this helps.

Steve Hurt
byndbad914
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 7 2006, 10:16 AM) *

switched +12 (from ignition switch)
tach
oil pressure
oil/coolant temp
charging system +12 (from G light)
starter

are the only wires that go from the tunnel to the engine itself. The switched +12 would be run to a fuel pump relay as well as the coil (or coils). A 6-pin Weatherpak would handle this.

agree.gif depending on how much wiring you intend to do, here is a link to Waytek Wire. Look in products, then multi-pin connectors then select Packard Weather Pak. (The link to that location was too long to work here)

http://www.waytekwire.com

They have a $5 line item minimum (so you have to buy $5 worth of each part # minimum) but I bought pretty much every type of connector and 14-18 gauge pin size for $50 and I still have some left. One 4-pin set for the ignition was going to be like $10 from a parts store. I used a bunch to wire the V8 car and remove the relay board and reroute the harness thru the heat duct. I will use more doing the new custom harness when I get it back in a few weeks.

Waytek is WAY cheaper than most places and I got a 12x12x12 BOX of connectors from them for what a fist-full would have cost elsewhere.

EDIT - actually Felix if you just need a single 6-pin male/female I could probably mail you one. I think I only have the smaller gauge connectors left, but you can crimp them onto larger gauges just fine (I did this when I ran out of the bigger ones).
BIGKAT_83
The weather pack connectors are the way to go, but you do need the correct crimping tools to do these right. With your new car and all of the wiring you plan to do the $100 or so for the tools will pay for themself. I bought these and the tools to do the pins on my LS1 computer wiring.

Bob
lylegd
If you are really determined to go with the factory type 14 pin connector then here are some options for you.
The front molded piece with the actual 14 holes thru it is part number 911.612.115.02 and the back half of the connector shell is 911.612.113.05. The back half of the connector is available from Stoddards for $38.07 They showed the front half of the connector as not available. The same connector is available used from a number of sources. A 1971 914 used this connector on the steering column connector and many models of 911's used them on the engine bay relay panel.
neo914-6
I'm trying to spend less $, time, and buying special tools (so I can have more for neo914), I just kept the board and the modified 12 pin wiring. My big question is dedicated switched (hot) 12+ for the distributor. It "should" be on the second setting of the key switch...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.