Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more interesting evilbay stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
What up with the 'ceramic brakes' on the AX/timetrail car?
Does that mean the pads are all glazed up biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
The Yellow TT/AutoX car scares me. He says it will do 140mph. BULLSHIT. Not with that rear wing in place and 2.0 in the engine compartment. Oh.. nevermind the salvage title. I normally dont RIP on people and their 914's.. but where do these people come up with this SHIT ??

The Orange car is nice.. I have seen it somewhere.

The Yellow one appears to be a decent roller.

B
URY914
I think the speedo is stuck at 140.
Mueller
plus custom built fiberglass trunk

why, is the original one damaged beyond repair???
Aaron Cox
Why is everyone ragging on "ebay" calling it evilbay? I have had no problems w/ any one or anything i have bought. (except for me buying a late model bumper cap instead of a bumper top...ooops.) Most of the problems people report having is "USER_ERROR" , people make mistakes and cant aren't man or woman enough to own up to it and blame it on others! be an informed bidder....and yell at people with bad pictures of item for sale (as mentioned above)...

just my 2 dollars and 2 cents unsure.gif
Brad Roberts
Evilbay is just a term we use. I actually like Ebay. You are correct about USER_ERROR. Looking at the people who have responded so far to this thread (none of them have had a problem with Ebay). I call Taco Bell (Taco Hell) but I still eat the food. Jack in the Box (Jack in the Crack)... blah blah.. It is our "slang"

B
kafermeister
Seems to me that the yellow car would be a decent start for Jen if she hasn't found a good tub yet. Does anyone know the status for her rebuild?

Rick
Brad Roberts
The people with the Blue chassis havent gotten back to me.. I found (knew of) another chassis yellow 1974 for 1,000$

I left the pics at the office.. I'll post them sometime tomorrow.

B
anthony
I think a lot of people call it evil bay because you buy some part and then finally get it and it looks like it's been sitting in someone's backyard for 10 years. I bought a center console piece that looked good in the picture but had about 20 cigarette burn marks on it. You'd think the seller would have thought that was an important thing to mention.

I keep being surprised by some of the prices I see on ebay. The seller here seems to be getting a great price for this car (75, 1.8, needs paint, cracked windshield, rusted right rear suspension console) and it's already up to $1275:

914 on ebay
Brad Roberts
Anthony.. that is EXACTLY why I like Ebay. You stand a chance of actually getting more than you want for the car/parts. I listed 2 race trannies for sale on our classifieds a day or so ago. Do you think anybody browsing the classifieds will pay 3-4k for 1 914 gearbox.... not in this lifetime. If/when I put them up on Ebay... I'm betting I get the number if not more. The Ebay audience is VERY big and uneducated. Perfect.

B
bernbomb914
Hell I bought my 914 on ebay. you are right about user error. I have bought many items and the only time I got burned is because I didnt pay attention and assumed what I wanted it to be

Bernie aktion035.gif
seanery
I sold my alfa spider on ebay. I wanted $2700 out of it. 2 guys got in a bidding war and spent $5700! I contemplated returning some of their money, but my friends and family convinced me that the new owner might think I was trying to hide something if I did that!

IPB Image
More Pics
Alfred
So far, I've only had positive experiences buying stuff on ebay. You gotta pay attention to the seller's feed back rating and ask questions if you have any doubt about the item. (Last week, I almost bid on a 914 book that I had never seen before but I emailed the seller first and he said it was the German version of Brian Long's book, which I already have, but with a different cover photo). In the past, I got a great 12 page brochure for the '73 914 - not sure how I would have found it without the internet and ebay.

Alfred
Mueller
My only bad experiance on ebay was when I bought a set of stud removers.

This guy was advertising a high-end brand (on par of better then Snap-On) for a few weeks on different auctions. I ended up loosing since I wasn't willing to pay those prices. Well, i get an email from the seller stating that he just listed a set of stud pullers again on ebay a few weeks later.

I look over the ad and notice no mention of the brand but the rest of the ad was 100% the same.....so I do the buy-it-now option for 45 bucks.

When I got the pakage and opened it I was pissed.....I paid 45 bucks for a 15 buck items...they ended up being Harbor Freight brand this time.

I feel it was a "bait and hook switch" but it was my own fault for not asking what brand. I ASSumed they'd be the good quality set since that is what he had been selling prior.

Mike
silver six
Seanery,

Sweet Alfa. Your friends were right. You should not refund any money, regardless that you personally believe the car is worth less than the bid price. This is not so much an issue of fairness as an issue resolved by market forces. If you did not lie and the car is as represented, then when the market values it at $5700, then that is what it is worth. Feel good about it.

Just be glad you're finally on the winning side of the transaction. As a recent thread here and on Pelican showed (discussing the value of a prestine 914-4) all too often 914 owners will find themselves on the losing side of the bidding equation: too much money in, not enough money out.

Besides, it has always been my experience that the happiest buyers are those buyers who paid more. The people who haggle and bargain and grind you to death, at the end of the day, even after they've negotiated themselves a great bargain, always feel cheated, ripped off, or otherwise degraded. This is more of a personal psychological issue, I believe, than a reflection of how these buyers were actually treated by the market.

Douglas
Mike D.
I thinks it's funny on e-bay when a seller lists something, or bidders bid up, a price higher than the price of a new item. - laugh.gif
-Mike D.
tahoward
I've noticed that myself on several occasions. Who knows what they're thinking, or not.
Brad Roberts
That is the key: They dont know what "new price is" Most 914 owners dont know what new price is. Several large used parts places ask half of new for their used parts. People piss and moan all day about their high prices, but they never stop to check out what the new price is for that given part.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.