Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: computer question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Dial up is slow enough but my new (to me) computer, when I connect to the internet, is sending way more bytes then its recieving.

It's really slowing my connection down. It doesn't do it all the time but it does piss me off, like I said, my dial up is slow enough. mad.gif

Thanks for any help, M.
anthony
Do you have up to date virus protection installed?
Pnambic
how 'bout some numbers. how much upload compared to how much download in a given amount of time?
Mark Henry
I have the temporary Norton on it. It's supposed to be good for a couple of months, so my 'puter guy said. I also don't surf the "bad" sites and Outlook 6 blows off most attachments.

It's uploading 3X the info it's downloading, like I said it only does this about half the time.

Right now it's OK.
Brad Roberts
One word: Spybot

Its free. Look it up on Google.

I'm betting you have about 100 spies running on that computer sending info out.

B
Charles Deutsch
The free stuff is usually the spyware. I use Webroot's Spysweeper and I have a subscription to Mcafee's ant-virus software that gets updated automatically.
Jeffs9146
I use Spybot everytime I log off and it always finds something new! When it is still doing anything funny (pop ups) I run Mcfee and I clean anything that Spybot missed!

Jeff
GWN7
If you do a search on here for Spybot, there is a link for the download. After I read the thread, I down loaded it and it found 215 (or some such number) bots. Puter runs much better when their disabled.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2003, 12:21 PM)
One word: Spybot

Its free. Look it up on Google.

I'm betting you have about 100 spies running on that computer sending info out.

B

Thanks Brad!! smilie_pokal.gif

I was infested! headbang.gif

I'm just zipping along again! dance.gif

If my 'puter guy wasn't my asshole brother I'd fire him, still might. Dealing with relatives is a royal PITA, even if you do pay them. finger.gif

All is well now, should I get another anti virus program (like Jeff said) or is this good enough? I'll probably give this guy a couple of bucks for saving my ass.
smilie_flagge24.gif
p914
You may want to try setting your IE6 so that graphics are limited or not loaded as this takes a lot of time on dial up. It makes internet bland but speeds up surfing.
Joe Bob
I blew off spybot.....Spysweeper is the best. Yes it costs but I have run both side by side and Spysweeper kicks ass......

Once when I was in band camp....I got a nasty that hijacked me default website page....doesn't happen no mo....
Neal
You don't say how slow, it sounds like your modem is doing allot of error correction and I would bet it's beacuse your home line
has a problem let's say you have a 56k modem and I know that about the most you can get is aroung 51k with a clean line if you are gettting 28.8 or 31.2...etc then you have a dirty line. Pick up your phone receiver and press any # to get rid of the dial tone if you hear any static or noise thats your problem. I would call the phone company and open a probem ticket tell them you are getting static on your line
they will have to run some diagnostic tests and possible a splicer will have to reseat your cable pairs.
If your problem is just that you are sending more than receiving and you have always connected at this speed then follow the ideas expressed previously.

Neal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.