Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shave the side marker lights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff73
I was curious if anyone has had their side markers shaved off. They just seem out of place considering the lines of the car. Also, I plan on shaving the antenna also. I know some people probably hate me for saying this, but it's my personal preference.
Aaron Cox
i welded up sidemarkers and antnnae holes.....

looks sooo much cleaner.

euro cars didnt have side markers
tat2dphreak
it's on my list... I'll wait until I'm about to get it painted though...
Trekkor
I did all that and more!! Also deleted the fender to cowell gasket, windshield squirters and inlet grill between the wipers.

See my paint thread below...

KT
So.Cal.914
Take a look at the turtlegirl build on the last few pages, it looks so damn clean

without them.
Trekkor
drooley.gif

Midtowner
Dan (Almaden Valley) had this done and it looks great! My car in the background looks like it has grown ugly warts on the fenders. blink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jul 7 2006, 05:44 PM) *

I was curious if anyone has had their side markers shaved off. They just seem out of place considering the lines of the car. Also, I plan on shaving the antenna also. I know some people probably hate me for saying this, but it's my personal preference.

Never have had an antenna hole.

My next 914 won't be a purist version, so when it's time to repaint, the side markers will go & it will get full Euro exterior look. Won't put in a VW-logo'd steering wheel though.

It's your 914 - do what makes you happy. So long as you aren't going to seriously concours the car, so what?
JPB
All retro cleanness is good if thats what ya wnt. I got an electric antena and covered the side marker holes. As for me, its a growing thing/mutation. Have fun with it and good luck!

smilie_pokal.gif Who be the champions, we be the champions!
Jeff73
Thanks, looks as good as I thought it would. I like the cowl and squirters deleted also. Might have to copy you on that one.
turboman808
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jul 7 2006, 02:01 PM) *

Dan (Almaden Valley) had this done and it looks great! My car in the background looks like it has grown ugly warts on the fenders. blink.gif

Oh I really like that number five car. What a nice color. I would like to paint mine like that in a few years. With flat black bumpers, hoods and wheels.
tdgray
Best thing I ever did to teener.

See my progress thread.

dion9146
I think there may be more US 914's with shaved fenders than those with the side markers anymore. smile.gif I've done it to 3 914s - my first with fiberglass, the other two with steel.

My current look:

Dion
Chogokin
Mine is all primered right now but everything was shaved off when I got it, I think it is gonna look pretty sweet. BTW have any of you had problems with the fender to cowel fills? I think I need to grind them out, the PO used fiberglass filler in them and it keeps cracking... that is the only part I have not redone yet, any advice on refilling those?
Rand
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jul 7 2006, 02:44 PM) *

I was curious if anyone has had their side markers shaved off.

For sure. Maybe even the majority when given the opportunity during bodywork.

Burma Shave baby!!!
914-8
I was really on the fence about shaving them when my car was redone.

I was against it . . . but then at the last minute changed my mind and got rid of them.

I'm VERY happy they are gone!

IPB Image
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jul 7 2006, 04:11 PM) *

Mine is all primered right now but everything was shaved off when I got it, I think it is gonna look pretty sweet. BTW have any of you had problems with the fender to cowel fills? I think I need to grind them out, the PO used fiberglass filler in them and it keeps cracking... that is the only part I have not redone yet, any advice on refilling those?

If you have access to a welder you can fill them with weld, if not lead will not crack.
Trekkor
any advice on refilling those?

Use metal rod stock and fit it into the seal slot below the fender and cowell height.
Weld and grind. welder.gif

KT
David_S
I shaved mine too !!! Too bad this is just primer though ....
Lou W
Much cleaner without them;
brant
I've done a couple of cars now.

I predict as these cars rise in value that many will be "undone" when the "stock" cars become worth something....

its always been that way.
look at other cars that used to be modified but are now back to stock.

anyways.
do what you want:
brant
and:
brant
between the tail lights:
brant
my other car I also filled:
Dr Evil
Huge fan of the shaved look. I agree that the side marker lights, or arts as I like to call them look way out of place. They look like they belong on a tailer.

No antenna either....not sure what I am gonna do about it when I wnat ot listen to the radio, but it is not a problem currently (not running and I have a radio in the garage).
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 7 2006, 08:32 PM) *

IPB Image

Cool aero kit, where'd ya buy it? Is it a hovercraft or 914? biggrin.gif

Just kidding, of course!
72914S
leaded in the fender welts(no cracks yet it`s been a long time) and replaced the side marker lights with these from a `68 roadrunner.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2006, 09:49 PM) *

Huge fan of the shaved look. I agree that the side marker lights, or arts as I like to call them look way out of place. They look like they belong on a tailer.

No antenna either....not sure what I am gonna do about it when I wnat ot listen to the radio, but it is not a problem currently (not running and I have a radio in the garage).

Doc...

What color is that? I really like it on the teener. aktion035.gif Hopefully will ave min re-painted next year, and I think I might go that way....
Chogokin
DAMN! Brant, that orange looks sweet! smiley_notworthy.gif That is my original color that I want to go back to. Ahh someday... idea.gif after the 10,000 other projects that keep poping up headbang.gif ...
Dr Evil
Not sure what the color is. It was one that they had at the mexican paint shop. Waht I REALY wanted was the color that is on the more reacent beatles. It has a little more black in it....a little more.....sinister happy11.gif At this point it is rust protectant and will get repainted how I want it when I start making the Dr money (in like 10 years dry.gif )

QUOTE(bmunday @ Jul 8 2006, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2006, 09:49 PM) *

Doc...

What color is that? I really like it on the teener. aktion035.gif Hopefully will ave min re-painted next year, and I think I might go that way....

tat2dphreak
everything looks cleaner when it's shaved cool_shades.gif
brant
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jul 8 2006, 09:20 AM) *

DAMN! Brant, that orange looks sweet! smiley_notworthy.gif That is my original color that I want to go back to. Ahh someday... idea.gif after the 10,000 other projects that keep poping up headbang.gif ...

thanks man!

brant
SLITS
My car was a gazillion miles faster when I lost the side lights....aerodynamic drag you know........

On my new car I'm leaving them on, got a big ticket with the other one.

Yaarrg, Matey........
Lou W
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 8 2006, 05:44 PM) *

My car was a gazillion miles faster when I lost the side lights....aerodynamic drag you know........

On my new car I'm leaving them on, got a big ticket with the other one.

Yaarrg, Matey........

A ticket? someone must have been in a bad mood. dry.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 7 2006, 11:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 7 2006, 08:32 PM) *

IPB Image

Cool aero kit, where'd ya buy it? Is it a hovercraft or 914? biggrin.gif

Just kidding, of course!

I have to retape it everytime it gets wet. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.