Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bar length?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
Can anyone tell me how long the bar it's self is?

I'm looking at some bars that are not for a 914 but are in the ball park right length. So once I know how long they should be I can narrow the field.

Before anyone says just buy one... dry.gif I'm going to look at what else is out there. But thanks.

-JR-
elwood-914
Front sway right? I have a stock one sitting here in my kitchen.....39 3/8"
-JR-
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 7 2006, 08:27 PM) *

Front sway right? I have a stock one sitting here in my kitchen.....39 3/8"

Front is correct!

39 and 3/8's huh? Hmm... That's longer then most of the ones I've seen.

I'm trying to source an aftermarket upgrade that won't cost me $500us to put together. I can make everything except the bar.

I've also been wondering if the steel is anything special for a sway bar. Like just go down to a fabrication shop or a spring shop and have a bar made.

-JR-
Andyrew
37.5 will work JR. I have it in my car...

2 guys I know besides me run the nascar bar as well..

Mine isnt all the way installed yet though.. lol Im working on the Arms... the nascar one's are way to big, and way to heavy.

Andrew

Search nascar sway bar... (use 'and' between each word you search...)
elwood-914
I've got no choice right now and want a sway bar, so stock is the only option for me ( No friggin money) I bought a 15 mm stock bar for $60. I figured that any bar is better than no bar.
-JR-
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 7 2006, 08:35 PM) *

37.5 will work JR. I have it in my car...

2 guys I know besides me run the nascar bar as well..

Mine isnt all the way installed yet though.. lol Im working on the Arms... the nascar one's are way to big, and way to heavy.

Andrew

Search nascar sway bar... (use 'and' between each word you search...)

Funny you should mention that...

I have the Ebay auctions up right now for NASCAR bars. I'm figuring that I might be able to make a 19mm bar setup for around $100us with roller bearings for bushings.
Andyrew
Double that $100 figure. but your still way short of a $500 sway bar... AND, you can get just about any stiffness you want with just the swapping of the bar.

Roller bearings are a PITA. I thought about it. but I went with a greasable poly bushing at my local flaps for 20 bucks...

Consider this for pricing.

Bar
Arm
Droplinks
Bushing
Mounts
Hardware
Welding
Paint
Hardware again because you got the wrong parts.

Andrew...

I have a 1 1/4 to 3/4in bar. A portion of the bar is "19"mm, but the bar is a stronger metal than the aftermarkets, and the bar is shorter, and the 19mm part is 2ft shorter than the actual bar. So it'll act like a 22mm or so bar if I put the same geometry in the arms and droplinks.
-JR-
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 7 2006, 08:56 PM) *

Consider this for pricing.

Bar
Arm
Droplinks
Bushing
Mounts
Hardware
Welding
Paint
Hardware again because you got the wrong parts.

I can make the droplinks, mounts, I have my own welder and some paint.

But I have to buy...
Bar
Arms (but seem cheap on ebay)
Bushings or bearings

-JR-
Andyrew
yes, you can make the droplinks and mounts, but you need to factor in the Eyebolts that are strong enough and the right measurement.. ACE doesnt carry that kinda stuff...

And yes, you need to have them adjustable. Also... you should make the arms adjustable too..

FYI the arms on ebay are like 18in long... you need some 5-9in long...
Oh ya... and the ebay one's are heavy mofo's...
Im modifing a steel one, but cutting it off and welding a square tube stock to with with holes for the droplink, probably about 5 holes for adjustability.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.