Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear shock removal tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
any tips for removing the rear shocks? I know about the issues with the springs. I am talking about the top retaining nut on the shock shaft and the bolt on the control arm.

TIA
dr
ChrisReale
Its easy as hell. Undo one nut, then the other, and the shock/spring comes out.
rhodyguy
well try this. jack up the car up, put it on stands, and remove the wheels. put your floor jack under one of the control arms and put a little presure on it. undo the top nut and loosen the one on the bottom. lower the jack and the whole thing will come down. the whole unit will come off very easily.repeat. as haynes would state "installation is the opposite of removal".

kevin

kevin
machina
thanks guys,

going to install coil over kit from jason this weekend. Got 175lb hypercoils, thought they matched better with my 21mm front torsion bars than 200lb springs.

hope the coleman sleeve fits my koni reds OK. Looks like dia of shock is 2.0" accept where it has the ring which is around 2.17. The threaded sleeve measures 2.0" ID.

let you know how it goes.
dr
ChrisReale
I wrote this up when I put my coil-overs on:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=5&t=3926
machina
thanks chris good thread.

just wondering how you moved the threaded collar lower on the shock. Looks like it only fits in one spot on the tube, held by the ring where the OE perch was located.

dr
ChrisReale
The Koni Yellows have three positions where you can adjust the spring perch. Not sure if the Reds have this. If your rear end still sits higher than you want, you might go to a shorter rear spring. Like 8" or something
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.