Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ran a 2:15 at Thunderhill today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nebreitling
i know the car has more time in it, and i know i have a lot yet to learn, but i ran a 2:15 up at Thunderhill yesterday, with consistent low 2:16s in clear laps. I've had 3 track days up there in as many weeks, and each day i dropped like 3-4 seconds off my time.

biggest gains were found in turn 1 (turn-in at 4500 rpm in 5th) and 9 (surprisingly high speed 4th gear). i know i'm leaving time in 6 (which is random, but i find it a hard turn to read), and i know i'm not braking late enough into 10.

no offs -- only one half-spin over the cyclone which i caught -- and the car held up beautifully. new (bigger) oil cooler opening left me with 220 and 230 oil temps at the end of a 30 min session in 100 deg. no problem with brakes at all. 710s get pretty greasy in that heat after a few laps, but they have held up okay. i should get one more day out of them.

i also rode in a track-prepped CaymanS yesterday -- which was.... underwhelming -- especially after the gearbox broke, and IT CAUGHT ON FIRE.

good times.
KenH
Humm - My 710s did not change from beginning to end at BW a couple of weeks ago, air temps 110. Track surface over 150. Running 28# cold.

Ken
Trekkor
Good laps!! clap56.gif

I wish I could have made it up to put a stop watch on you and hold up a lap time sign for you to see on the main straight.

Would have been great to check tire temps and pressures as you came off the track in the hot pit lane as well.

shooting the oil filter to double check oil temp guage would have been good, too.

I set tires at 26#'s cold now and also have not felt the tires going away.
Our laps are very close time wise. I believe I do 2:17-19's right now.

You are more aggressive...I give you that laugh.gif

We will have fun out there on track together soon.

8/11 with TMR is only $185 this next time for 4-25 minute sessions.

KT
nebreitling
QUOTE(KenH @ Jul 8 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Humm - My 710s did not change from beginning to end at BW a couple of weeks ago, air temps 110. Track surface over 150. Running 28# cold.

Ken

hmmmm, indeed... maybe i'm overdriving the tires, but i doubt it. i start each session at 29#, but given your and Trek's feedback, i'll go ahead and drop them a little more. it just doesn't seem like they bite any lower than that. then again, these 710s are on their last legs.

turns 2-4 would get a little greasy after a 4-5 laps, and by the end of 30 minutes, i'd have to adjust my pace not to go off.

i think the car has a 2:13 in it -- maybe better. front-running spec miatas are running 2:08's, but i don't know if that's with the cyclone or the bypass.

trek, i'm traveling Aug 6-10, so i don't know if the 11th will work for me... let me see though, the price is right, and good company always makes the day go by better beerchug.gif
drew365
Those are good times you're posting. The only time I ran at ThunderHill, my best lap was 2:12.1 with the cyclone. I should have a little more HP than you with 198 at the wheels. Unfortunately, POC dropped TH from the schedule, so it may be a while before I get to run there again. I'm looking forward to Laguna next month and Infinion in Oct.
Randal
[quote name='nebreitling' date='Jul 8 2006, 09:46 AM' post='722646']
i know the car has more time in it, and i know i have a lot yet to learn, but i ran a 2:15 up at Thunderhill yesterday, with consistent low 2:16s in clear laps. I've had 3 track days up there in as many weeks, and each day i dropped like 3-4 seconds off my time.

biggest gains were found in turn 1 (turn-in at 4500 rpm in 5th) and 9 (surprisingly high speed 4th gear). i know i'm leaving time in 6 (which is random, but i find it a hard turn to read), and i know i'm not braking late enough into 10.

no offs -- only one half-spin over the cyclone which i caught -- and the car held up beautifully. new (bigger) oil cooler opening left me with 220 and 230 oil temps at the end of a 30 min session in 100 deg. no problem with brakes at all. 710s get pretty greasy in that heat after a few laps, but they have held up okay. i should get one more day out of them.

i also rode in a track-prepped CaymanS yesterday -- which was.... underwhelming -- especially after the gearbox broke, and IT CAUGHT ON FIRE.

good times.

Nice going Nathan. That is cooking.

One thought, I'll bet your car with Hoosiers would pick up a few seconds.

That is interesting about the Cayman, because the stock ones I've instructed in handled so well you couldn't teach the student anything. They would have to be crazy fast, in the corners, on the track.
grantsfo
Yikes the Cayman S caught fire? That's scary. And havent you heard 710's arent track tires! biggrin.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 9 2006, 09:45 AM) *

Yikes the Cayman S caught fire? That's scary. And havent you heard 710's arent track tires! biggrin.gif

yup -- full story here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=55756
nebreitling

That is interesting about the Cayman, because the stock ones I've instructed in handled so well you couldn't teach the student anything. They would have to be crazy fast, in the corners, on the track.

again, this is also a driver issue, but my turn-in speed was actually higher in T1 and T9 than the Cayman. RA1's kinda suck, though, and that's what the Cayman was wrapped in.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 9 2006, 01:50 PM) *

again, this is also a driver issue, but my turn-in speed was actually higher in T1 and T9 than the Cayman. RA1's kinda suck, though, and that's what the Cayman was wrapped in.

I would think a well set up 914 would have better turn in. We're talking about a car that weighs 1000 lbs less and has a lower center of gravity than a Cayman S. Going back and forth between my Boxster and 914 I'd sum it up like this. The 914 had faster transition response and turn in, but the Boxster was far more stable at speed and a lot more forgiving.
Brad Roberts
Nathan!!

Those are really good times for your first time out on Thill clap56.gif

The stock BP injected 2.0 cars ran consistant low 2.14's back in 99/01/02 seasons before they changed the track. I havent ran this latest config with the extra area for 8/14/15.

Good job on turn 9 in 4th clap56.gif I watched a video givin by a GGR instructor during the ground school for TT license.. I asked him why the driver was downshifting into 3rd for that corner.. he was a little miffed... it was HIM in the video..LOL

Full throttle through 8 is fun (was fun, I hear they extended the runoff room)

Lift and go in 1 clap56.gif I cant do it all the time on 205's but I try every time LOL

B
nebreitling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 10 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Nathan!!

Those are really good times for your first time out on Thill clap56.gif

The stock BP injected 2.0 cars ran consistant low 2.14's back in 99/01/02 seasons before they changed the track. I havent ran this latest config with the extra area for 8/14/15.

Good job on turn 9 in 4th clap56.gif I watched a video givin by a GGR instructor during the ground school for TT license.. I asked him why the driver was downshifting into 3rd for that corner.. he was a little miffed... it was HIM in the video..LOL

Full throttle through 8 is fun (was fun, I hear they extended the runoff room)

Lift and go in 1 clap56.gif I cant do it all the time on 205's but I try every time LOL

B

thanks, but actually, this was my 3rd full day at Thunderhill. but i know i have a 2:12 or so out there on fresh tires, a cooler day, and more experience. the car could use more sorting too. it really seems like the shocks could use some proper tuning. got a source for double-adjustable konis? i'd also like to try running a rear spoiler.

the new run-off areas help, but T8 is still ballsy without a lift.

people puss out in T9 for no reason. i know i did at first. it took a ride in an instructor's ITC datsun 510 for me to realize how much speed you can carry into it. i'm still not using all the exit, and i'm bombing in there at pretty hot. the car gets super-heavy going up the hill.

as for just a 'lift' going into T1, you're fucking crazy! even with a lift that's over 100mph. maybe with the new hoosiers that just showed up... i brake to 4500rpm, and still end up scrubbing off speed keeping the car in-line mid-corner (though i regain 4500 at corner exit).

i thought the Bp record was 2:15, but i could be mistaken. i know that seidell runs a 2:08 and change, but he's on proper canti slicks. still, that's fast as hell for a 914-4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.