Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo With Originality?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dilde
Hey guys. Almost done with the '73 2.0 resto. The Pioneer radio that came with the car is dying a slow death. Does anyone know what came in those cars? Blaupunkt? This is the 1973 2.0S, w/ all the bling bling, even the leather shift knob.

I'd really like to keep it stock looking. I just got some nice speaker boxes and new speakers. Are there any companies that make "classic" looking German stereos with today's technology. I looked online but most are Ford, Corvette, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for something w/ cassette b/c I still collect vinyl.

Scott
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dilde @ Jul 8 2006, 11:15 AM) *

Hey guys. Almost done with the '73 2.0 resto. The Pioneer radio that came with the car is dying a slow death. Does anyone know what came in those cars? Blaupunkt? This is the 1973 2.0S, w/ all the bling bling, even the leather shift knob.

I'd really like to keep it stock looking. I just got some nice speaker boxes and new speakers. Are there any companies that make "classic" looking German stereos with today's technology. I looked online but most are Ford, Corvette, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for something w/ cassette b/c I still collect vinyl.

Scott

The cars came from the factory without a radio, and dealers installed whatever was available and would sell. I've seen Motorola, Blaupunkt, Craig, Muntz, Audiovox, Jensen, and several others. What you want is a "period correct" unit, and you may have to settle for what ever's out there. None will be the "slide in" DIN type. All of the in dash uinits of the period had a post at each end, and some had pushbuttons below the tuning window. Hey, I might be able to come up with a nice 4 track, or maybe even an 8 track! The Cap'n
Joe Bob
DISCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RON S.
Go to a junkyard,

and get a Becker out of an early to mid 70's Mercedes.

I got one in my teener,and you can't beat the sound.Plus all Beckers are fully repairable by Becker North America up in New Jersey.

Ron
North Bay 914
My car has the dealer installed Blaupunkt Frankfurt, US version, and it still works. I call it the time machine...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ Jul 8 2006, 01:17 PM) *

My car has the dealer installed Blaupunkt Frankfurt, US version, and it still works. I call it the time machine...

Biggest problem with that is you have to listen to mid-70s music all the time. At least it's not disco! The Cap'n
North Bay 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 8 2006, 01:23 PM) *

Biggest problem with that is you have to listen to mid-70s music all the time. At least it's not disco! The Cap'n

The funniest thing about it is at 70-80 mph, you can't hear it over the wind/engine/road noise...and it sounds terrible turned up loud.
Eric_Shea
Why not a Blaupunkt in the dash and a hidden iPod kit with a poweramp (also hidden)?
mihai914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 8 2006, 05:10 PM) *

Why not a Blaupunkt in the dash and a hidden iPod kit with a poweramp (also hidden)?

Of course, everyone should have a iPod, it is a definite must! wink.gif

Well to be helpfull on the thread, the 1.7 I had came with a Sapphire Xi or Xii or something similar with a plate wrote VW on front.

Edit: I've never heard of a 914 2.0 with a original leather shif knob, leather boot yes, but no knob.
dilde
Duly noted. I bought the car from the original owner 2 years ago. It is an early '73 2.0 with A/C, now operable. It has the leather shift knob. I just assumed it came on the car. Has the Porsche crest, etc.

Pics to follow soon. Just have to have Al Reed polish the fuchs first.

Thanks for all the help people.

Scott

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jul 8 2006, 03:38 PM) *

Well to be helpfull on the thread, the 1.7 I had came with a Sapphire Xi or Xii or something similar with a plate wrote VW on front.

Edit: I've never heard of a 914 2.0 with a original leather shif knob, leather boot yes, but no knob.

pfierb
QUOTE(dilde @ Jul 8 2006, 11:22 PM) *

Duly noted. I bought the car from the original owner 2 years ago. It is an early '73 2.0 with A/C, now operable. It has the leather shift knob. I just assumed it came on the car. Has the Porsche crest, etc.

Pics to follow soon. Just have to have Al Reed polish the fuchs first.

Thanks for all the help people.

Scott

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jul 8 2006, 03:38 PM) *

agree.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 8 2006, 08:31 PM) *

The cars came from the factory without a radio, and dealers installed whatever was available and would sell.

I don't know if that was the standard procedure for the states, but here in Europe there were several radios available from the factory!
Blaupunkt units for the /4
Blaupunkt or Becker units for the /6
I've some price lists to proove - and I spoke to one or the other first owner that told me the same.

here are some infos from the '73 price list (Germany):

all radios contain suppressor kit, speakers and mechanical antenna on the left

M490 - mechanical antenna on the left an suppressor kit [if you want to install your own radio]

M095 - Blaupunkt Wolfsburg [short - medium - long]
M097 - Blaupunkt Emden [FM - medium - long]
M587 - Blaupunkt Hannover [FM - short - medium - long - automatic tuner - tape connector]

wavey.gif Gustl
pfierb
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ Jul 8 2006, 04:17 PM) *

I have the same radio in my 73.....the reception at best is pretty bad have you ever had yours repaired if so where?

Thanks Paul F.
JPB
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 8 2006, 04:23 PM) *

Yes sweet hits of the top 40'z like,"Me and you and a dog named poo, wa wa wan wa wa wawa "

beer.gif 1971 SUCKED HARD and I can't imagine anything being built correctly with that in the background!
North Bay 914
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jul 9 2006, 06:46 AM) *

I have the same radio in my 73.....the reception at best is pretty bad have you ever had yours repaired if so where?

Thanks Paul F.

Paul, Mine works great, the reception with a new antenna is very good, and it will even get the local station with the antenna down. Yours may have a problem. I have no idea where to get on worked on. I try not use mine much, so it continues to work. I bought an MP3 player for when I drive and want to hear some music.
johannes
Problem with those old Blaupunkts and Beckers, most are mono. They have two loudspeakers plugs but the tuner is mono sad.gif .
Gustl
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 9 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Problem with those old Blaupunkts and Beckers, most are mono. They have two loudspeakers plugs but the tuner is mono sad.gif .

I know at least the Becker Mexico was available as a full stereo unit
and I think the Becker Grand Prix too

don't know about others confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
914werke
when did the first Cassett deck's start getting installed 76?
Gustl
the Becker Mexico full stereo unit I mentioned above was available in 1972 - maybe a little earlier ...
it has an integrated cassett deck

wavey.gif Gustl
pfierb
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ Jul 9 2006, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(pfierb @ Jul 9 2006, 06:46 AM) *

Thanks Paul F.

Paul, Mine works great, the reception with a new antenna is very good, and it will even get the local station with the antenna down. Yours may have a problem. I have no idea where to get on worked on. I try not use mine much, so it continues to work. I bought an MP3 player for when I drive and want to hear some music.

I use the cd player mine won't get local am stations even with the antenna up,but it looks good.
Paul
Mark Henry
My teen came with a VW radio/cassette. It's a dealer radio, Volkswagan right on it and made in Japan by Fijitsu Ten. Sounded good but no power at speed.
wertygrog
I like mine! Tuner is so good I just leave the antenna down! Also has AUX input for my XM. biggrin.gif
JPB
Bro, I say go light weight, go head phones.

smilie_pokal.gif Less is more.
kdfoust
Becker just reintroduced a RETRO Mexico. Check it out.

Later,
Kevin

pfierb
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jul 13 2006, 12:32 AM) *

Later,
Kevin

That radio would look great in my car but check the price!!!..three of them cost about as much as the whole 914 is worth.
johannes
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jul 12 2006, 08:32 PM) *

Later,
Kevin

Looks AWESOME, but price was calculated for Mercedes 300SL owners ar15.gif
TJB/914
Here's a better picture of a Blaupunkt Radio out of a 1970 914-6

Tom
kdfoust
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jul 13 2006, 01:55 AM) *

QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jul 13 2006, 12:32 AM) *

Later,
Kevin

That radio would look great in my car but check the price!!!..three of them cost about as much as the whole 914 is worth.

If ya wanna play ya gotta...
biggrin.gif
North Bay 914

I use the cd player mine won't get local am stations even with the antenna up,but it looks good.
Paul
[/quote]

Check out this ebay auction...maybe found a place who can fix yours...the preset buttons on mine still work, and they say this can not be fix at present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...1QQcmdZViewItem
pfierb
[quote name='North Bay 914' date='Jul 14 2006, 03:28 PM' post='728043']
Paul
[/quote]

Check out this ebay auction...maybe found a place who can fix yours...the preset buttons on mine still work, and they say this can not be fix at present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...1QQcmdZViewItem
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul
JamesBernard
http://www.swstereo.com/Products/Becker/becker_recs.shtml

i think im going to go with one of these
because they have a CD player and maintain the "original" look.
The other thing i was thinking about was putting in custom speaker ports
and buy some nice old ones, and whenever(or if) i decide to sell it, it will be almost completely stock.

i want to know how it goes!
im doing the exact same thing right now.
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jul 13 2006, 03:55 AM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=726490:date=Jul 13 2006, 12:32 AM:name=kdfoust) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jul 13 2006, 12:32 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->

Later,
Kevin
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

agree.gif I only paid 1k for my teener and 150.00 for the parts car.
PORobinSCHE
i just yanked mine out and put a block-off plate in!! sawzall-smiley.gif

who needs tunes? let the motor SING driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.