Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jacking points...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
are they jacking the car here on the trans? is this kosher? never done this before but sure would be convenient.

thoughts?

cantley914
QUOTE(scottb @ Jul 8 2006, 11:55 AM) *

are they jacking the car here on the trans? is this kosher? never done this before but sure would be convenient.

thoughts?

Sure looks like on the tranny at the transmission mount.

Looks like convenient but I don`t like the idea of a car jacked without stands underneath (for safety)

Steph
mihai914
I wouldn't use the transmission any more, I've done it in the past but I see 2 reasons for not using it now:

1. If you jack it up on the tranny it's probably on that fine center line in the casing, not the best thing to have balance.

2. The transmission ears are not as strong as one would believe, I had both of them break in a car accident and everything just fell down.
nebreitling
yup. it's 'probably' okay -- and it's a common practice -- but there's a slight risk involved. ymmv.
type47
don't go too far forward on the engine as a jack point either. i popped both engine mounts (rubber bonding between mounting studs) lifting the car. like stretching a rubber band...
So.Cal.914
He may have one of those engine/trans adapters for his jack. I have seen and

heard of the ears at the rear of the trans breaking and it also damaging the

mounts. I do not take the chance, but it is up to you.
scottb
He may have one of those engine/trans adapters for his jack.

i have one of those trans/engine plates and it is for removal and install.... not for jacking the whole car up..... hmmmmmmmmm........

they work great for the purpose though!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.