Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Rear Condenser Under Engine Lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Just wondering if anyone has tried implementing the 911 rear condenser under the engine lid. Someone mentioned to me today this might be an option if you put a fan or two on it. He even thinks it woudl fit with the rain tray!

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and any tips you might want to share.
So.Cal.914
A 914's engine is air cooled, it depends on cool air coming in through the grill

to cool it. What would happen if you put a condenser in the way that is radiating

alot of heat?
D1A3
My thought was that if I put a fan (or two) on it, that woudl help. Also if it will fit between the grill and rain tray, the tray would help with some of the heat.

If the heat is an issue, then why does Porsche put one on the rear deck of the 911?
MBowman325
That's still going to be sucking hotter air in to cool the engine. That said, it's a good point on the 911, though I don't know enough... Was it a factory option? I have wondered about the viability of placing it in the rain tray as well, but it seems like not enough room unless you made it deeper to deal with the flow, and a deeper rain tray, I'm not sure how that would affect the engine air flow. (I wouldn't think it would adversly affect it..) {shrugs} Try it, and report to us what happens. wink.gif

I've never attempted to measure the difference in temp of the air in front of vs the air behind any condensor I have. It wouldn't be highly scientific since all mine have waterpumps. Could give a decent idea though. Or maybe someone will try to measure theirs. Fans or no, the air will still be heated after it passes through the condensor.

Maybe if there were a way to modify the rear firewall into the trunk and mount it there? Draw air in from the lid, and expel it under the trunk where it's already freakin hot? Have to make sure it's sealed well, and a fan would help in that case.
gregrobbins
Dealer install in the front trunk on the floor. Probably recommended by the factory.

Anything that adds heat to the engine compartment is a no no.
MBowman325
I do wonder though, the guys (or gals) that run three and four condensor setups, what sort of delta there is at the last condensor. Could be it's minor enough to mount on the deck lid, in their opinion, but if that's the case, why have it?

As far as I know, the front trunk is the recommended place. But now that I've started thinking... So long as you maintained a flow through from the engine bay, a condensor mounted in the bulkhead for the read trunk and ducted down towards the transmission/exhaustmay work, but the added work of the fans may only slightly offset the reduced load on the compressor. But, you'd have to be sure that the hot air wouldn't come back up through it into the engine bay, as that'd be much worse than mounting the condensor on the decklid. (I was amazed at how hot the rear trunk gets)

Mounting in the front eleminates the need for super duper fans.
brant
I would theorize that on a 911 the rear engine lid gets more aero flow over it than on a teener...

plus on 911's with the rear condensor, they still run a front trunk one as 2ndary!

this has been covered over and over from the point of cooling oil and mounting oil coolers onto the engine lid. I personally believe its a bad idea all around and would be largely the same for A/C

but what I think isn't all that important.
its what you think that matters.

brant
2-OH!
Don't some of the tail draggers have the condenser mounted in the left rear fender well...I have seen some kits in Excellence that have a unit mounted there...

2-OH!
anthony
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Jul 10 2006, 09:39 AM) *

Don't some of the tail draggers have the condenser mounted in the left rear fender well...I have seen some kits in Excellence that have a unit mounted there...

That is an add-on kit for 911s because even with front and rear condensors their A/C systems tend to suck especially when converted to r134a.

Besides what was said above, the 911 rear grill in the rear is a lot larger than a 914 grill. On a 914 two skinny, modern, ribbon condensors would probably work a lot better.

MBowman325
I've seen kits for 911's that use up to 4 condensors, on in front, one on the deck lid, and one in each rear fender well, behind the wheel. The last two places seem like "dangerous" placed to put something that's suceptable to damage form debris. Maybe they're screened or something...

I've heard that multiple condensors can lower head pressure on the condensor, which reduces the load it brings and extends life. As cheap as some of the condensors are (I've seen the parallel flows ones sale for $120-180), I guess if you're stuck with using small ones, might as well load up.

I sure miss having working A/C sometimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.