Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official PRS914-6 Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
Ok, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my project, a 3.6 conversion with 911 running gear. My signature line will take you to my web site with all the pictures I will soon be taking but I will post some fun ones here as I go. To date, I have the car totally disassembled and media stripped. I am trial fitting the flares and rockers, welding new jack posts in, installing the chassis reinforcing and fixing some unexpeced rust that showed up from media blasting. The front end (911) is completely rebuilt and finished with poly bronze bushings and A arms powder coated. Many of the misc car parts are powder coated. The tranny is about done as well. Gauges (911) have been completely restored from North Hollywood Speedo. Tons of parts on the shelf and much work done on componants while it was at the blaster. Here are a few pics.....

The start:
IPB Image
After Blast
IPB Image
Brakes ready to install
IPB Image
Fitment and rust repair
IPB Image
Eye Candy!
IPB Image
givemebeer.gif
Stieve
aktion035.gif
Jeroen
keep posting pics!
brant
very very nice
PRS914-6
Been busy, here is an update on the project:
Tranny done!
IPB Image
I through bolted and nutted all available spots
IPB Image
I used an old 911 intermediate plate with a spacer to set the shift forks (cheap and easy) This is an easy way to not buy a tool.
IPB Image
Gauges ready to go!
IPB Image
Last new dash in the world.....(I think)
IPB Image
swood
drooley.gif
clap56.gif
PRS914-6
A few more pictures of the progress. Rear arms done, with 911 parking brake, oil cooler about finished, installing Rich Johnson motor mount.
_
IPB Image
_
IPB Image
_
IPB Image
_
IPB Image
krazykonrad
Koni Yellows! Nice! piratenanner.gif
Also, what kind of prices does North Hollywood Speedo charge for its work!
Great ride and best of luck!
Konrad
PRS914-6
North Hollywood is certainly not the cheapest but the work is quality and service is great. I had all my gauges reconditioned with a special damping device for the tach that they recommended. Needles were painted and all new bezzles. They supplied new sending units and had the guages calibrated to them and I bought a large fuel guage. Price....$300.00 The picture does not do them justice, they look brand new. I'm broke but happy.....
grasshopper
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 7 2006, 11:24 AM) *

Koni Yellows! Nice! piratenanner.gif
Also, what kind of prices does North Hollywood Speedo charge for its work!
Great ride and best of luck!
Konrad

It really isn't that hard to redo your own gauges. lightly pry off the retaining ring, remove the other small ring, then the glass, and then the gauges face can come out. You can get new glass cut at a glass shop, and it hasn't cost me more than $15.00 for the glass and being cut to size... Then just repaint the rings, clean all the dust off the gauge face, put everything back together. I've done a bunch of gauges that are all in boxes now... but if you do, you will screw up your first gauge, so buy a broken speedo or tach from someone here, and go ahead and take it apart. If you want pics of how to take the gauge apart, look in the classics, and open the 904 guage build.
PRS914-6
Barry, you are right, you can do your own gauges but I measured the circumference of my tires and had the speedo calibrated as well. Something I can't do. My guages came out of a donar 911 that had been sitting outside for 14 years and they were pretty corroded. Bezels were beyond repair. When I go to wire the 3.6, I don't want too many headaches at one time and this was good insurance. If I had known good working instruments I would have saved the money....
grasshopper
oh, ok. I have no clue how to calibrate the speedo... So it was that easy, just tell them the circumference of your tires and they will recalibrate it that easy?? how much would just a recalibration cost??
PRS914-6
Don't know about the calibration only as I paid for the entire package without a breakdown. I suspect it would be about $40-$50.00 but just a guess.
grasshopper
hhmmm...not to bad of a price.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 7 2006, 04:56 PM) *

hhmmm...not to bad of a price.

Pretty much everything is $100 to $110 when you call them but smile and say thanks because if you call Palo Alto Speedometer you will hear much higher numbers... biggrin.gif
John
You are doing a 3.6, right? Are you also doing a 915?

Is that a mechanical speedo? How are you going to work it with a 915????
PRS914-6
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Aug 7 2006, 08:40 PM) *

You are doing a 3.6, right? Are you also doing a 915?

Is that a mechanical speedo? How are you going to work it with a 915????

John, yes 3.6. I have a core 915 on the floor but I will start with a 901 until I have the gearing decided for the street or I break it, whichever comes first....... To do a WEVO 915 was just not in the budget at this moment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.