Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat/Power/Fuel Issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Here is the deal.
My car runs great, starts great, pulls good(for an 86hp engine) but idles a bit high, most of the time. I just use it for short comutes.
I drive it in morning 50-70*F and it rarely gets up to temp and idle remains about 1300rpm. Great torque on the low end, pulls OK on the high end. (factory temp gauge reads 1/4)
I drive in the afternoon 70-90*F and after 10-15 minutes the fast idle comes down to about 1000rpm but car still pulls good on the low end and is still OK on the high end.(factory temp gauge 1/2)
But if I drive it on a hot day 90*F + the temp gauge goes to 3/4 (not in the red) the idle drops to 400 rpm and it wants to stall while pulling away from intersections. The torque on the low end is poor, the pull in the middle is poor but is marginally OK on the high end?
The motor is completely rebuilt, petronix ignition, fuel injectors were all tested and passed and I am not sure where to look from here.
Any ideas???
TX
Dr Evil
Hey Doug,
since this is a Temp and Power problem a good place to start checking is your cylinder head temp sensor (CHT). Also, it seems odd that your car would never reach opperating temps on a 50-70* day. Check your thermostat and the flaps that are under the cooling tin (you can check the flaps at the bar that goes along the top of the fan shroud). Are you sure that the sender for your gauge is the correct one?

Also, check Brad Anders D-jet web page on the net. It has all of the trouble shooting tips that you can probably use.

These are the first things that pop into my mind. If I think of more I will post it.
tracks914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 9 2006, 07:29 AM) *

Hey Doug,
since this is a Temp and Power problem a good place to start checking is your cylinder head temp sensor (CHT). Also, it seems odd that your car would never reach opperating temps on a 50-70* day. Check your thermostat and the flaps that are under the cooling tin (you can check the flaps at the bar that goes along the top of the fan shroud). Are you sure that the sender for your gauge is the correct one?

Also, check Brad Anders D-jet web page on the net. It has all of the trouble shooting tips that you can probably use.

These are the first things that pop into my mind. If I think of more I will post it.

Flapps and thermostat are working good.
Temp sending unit is new from MAM.
I've be to Kjell's D'Jet page and checked all that.
I'll searchfor Brad's next.
Next I might try changing brains, I have a spare but the car works so well when it's cool that.....
tracks914
Shameless bump.
mihai914
Just shooting some ideas.

Is the AAR working properly?
How is the FI harness? Rare, medium or well done!
Wouldn't hurt to try and swap the brain IMO.
So.Cal.914
When I am trouble shooting and I hear the problems you are discribing the first

thing I think about is a tight valve. Runs well when it is cool and lousy when it warms

up. It's a cheep check, and a cheeper fix.
tracks914
If the valve was getting sticky wouldn't you hear it start to tic and tac a bit more than usual?
BTW completely rebuilt engine, new valves and new valve guides about 2000 miles ago.
If anything at all the valve train seems to get a bit quieter when it's hot. (and yes I believe I have the valves adjusted properly???)
tracks914
What do you mean cheaper fix???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.