Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 new problems....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
just reinstalled engine/trans after attaching the new evil trany, and also added a header/exhaust. now here are my 2 problems:

1) wicked backfire on decel. adjusted the valves just last week. ran great until after about 20 miles today and then horrible backfire on decel, mostly under 3k rpm's. valves come out of adjustment?

2) seems like the clutch will grab at about 3300rpm when accelerating in 4th and 5th gears. when i punch it, the rpm's quickly head to redline without the car showing any increase in speed. back off and accelerate slowly and it works fine. WTF? i am at a loss on this one.

thanks for playing....

scott
Joe Bob
Decel backfire is probably an exhaust leak.....

Slipping clutch could be oiled up disc.
Aaron Cox
uh... adjust your clutch? new clutch or old? as mikey said, could be a tired oily disc....

backfire on decel... Carbs or FI? any exhaust leaks?
Dr Evil
agree.gif with Z

Also, how much did you shim your tranny ball to match your old tranny? If your throw out bearing is putting constant pressure on the pressure plate it will cause it to have less grab and you can see what you are seeing.

The exhaust leak could be due to the fab work you had to do to get the header to fit. Check all of the header mounting nuts.

Isn't this fun! biggrin.gif
scottb
thanks mike's..... beerchug.gif

i did not put in the new clutch as i wanted to wait until my new motor arrives but i would not be suprised at all if it was oil fouled considering the amount of fluid my trans was barfing out.

as far as shims for the new trans, i pulled the old shims in toto and put them in the new trans so as to keep the geometry essentially the same.

i did think i heard the start of an exhaust leak at a stub pipe when i pulled in to harbor freight and it was clearer later in the run. that must be the problem. will wait for the thing to cool down as i branded myself on the exhaust yesterday.... yikes.gif

may just take all the stub pipes off and square them up on the grinder or with a file. and to think, i could have just gotten a miata...... thumb3d.gif

cheers!!!
Dr Evil
Harbor Freight, dont we have a little tool problem.....I was there Fri.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.