Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear rubber brake lines/hoses, need replacements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I have done a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyways. Bleeding brakes today and all was going quite smooth. Finished doing all 4 calipers and went to the right rear to do a second bleeding, and noticed the right rear rubber brake line was leaking. dry.gif One thing after another, right?
I figure I'll just replace both the rear rubber lines.

Is this something I can pick up at my FLAPS? Is it as simple as unscrewing the old rubber lines and screwing in the new lines and then bleed? Or am I in for yet another long and miserable journey?
I want to ask beforehand before I mess something up.
Thanks for any help.
eg914
I recently did this. If I remember correctly, I got front and rear hoses at the local VW parts place. I think the rear lines are part number 211 611 775 B. The fronts are 281 611 775 B. These are from the parts list on AutoAtlanta, and are VW part numbers. They may also be available from your FLAPS, though I an not sure which VW models these corresponde to.

The upper end of the rear lines is difficult to get to. I found removing the heater ducting (j-tube, heater valve) gave enough room to get the job done.

Don't mess around, replace ALL 4 rubber lines. If you don't you will be setting yourself up for more hassle. If one is bad they are all close to leaking. Or worse, failing when you need them!
davep
agree.gif Good advice. 211 = bus
Hammy
Bill, thanks for the response.

Luckily, I don't have any of my heating tubes or ducting on, just the HE's.

I agree on replacing all 4 lines. I had the front brakes serviced last year and I believe they did the brake lines up front. I'll check them and see their condition just in case.
cantley914
QUOTE(eg914 @ Jul 9 2006, 10:16 AM) *

I recently did this. If I remember correctly, I got front and rear hoses at the local VW parts place. I think the rear lines are part number 211 611 775 B. The fronts are 281 611 775 B. These are from the parts list on AutoAtlanta, and are VW part numbers. They may also be available from your FLAPS, though I an not sure which VW models these corresponde to.

The upper end of the rear lines is difficult to get to. I found removing the heater ducting (j-tube, heater valve) gave enough room to get the job done.

Don't mess around, replace ALL 4 rubber lines. If you don't you will be setting yourself up for more hassle. If one is bad they are all close to leaking. Or worse, failing when you need them!

agree.gif

I`ve been trough the same problem, luckily, I had the car on the rotisserie so everythig white quite accessible easily.
eg914 is right, replace all four. I went with the ss braided lines DOT approved. It was cheaper for me to order them and have them shipped to me in Canada than buying the rubber ones locally.

Good luck

Steph type.gif
Hammy
So....
according to this http://www.bughaus.com/brake5.htm that brake line part number is for buses and early bugs.

Should I just got to my FLAPS and tell them the part number? Or if they can't find anything for a 914, ask for a bus or bug rear line?
eg914
That is what I would try, though I don't know how much luck you will have. I redid my son's '73 bug brakes two weeks ago, and had to go to Bugformance for the parts. The local FLAPs all could order, but didn't have in stock. Bugformance had them in stock for the same or less $ biggrin.gif , plus I didn't have to wait.
Aaron Cox
I wub.gif stainless
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.