Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ran into a bunch of Upper Canada PCA boys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I pulled into the Bowmanville Wendy’s tonight to feed the kids and there were two 993's, a 911-3.6T, two boxters and a 944T parked in the lot. they were all sporting numbers, cages, gear, etc.

Got talking to the guys and there was no snobbery in sight! They wanted me to sign up and start racing! The 911 guy started going on about how much he loved his 914, that it handled better than his 911 and he wished he never sold it!

Some of them were the same guys that were on a fun run that passed my place a month and a half ago. I chased them down and ran with them to north Oshawa but I had to leave because I was late for an important meeting. Must have been 40 Porsches.

They said one guy was at the track with a 914 with a 993 engine! I don't know if that was BS but if there is such a beast I'd like to see it!

Maybe I should join, just to find out if this beast is for real.

driving.gif
Lotus914
Hi Mark:
I joined PCA - UCR and their DE and track days have olong waiting lists. I intend to get involved in the spring, and sign up very, very early, now that I have a car!

Dave
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lotus914 @ Oct 11 2003, 08:50 AM)
Hi Mark:
I joined PCA - UCR and their DE and track days have olong waiting lists. I intend to get involved in the spring, and sign up very, very early, now that I have a car!

Dave

Yep,they told me to sign up real early as it fills up fast!!
givory
Mark
If you think you're coming down with a bad case of the track bug, consider vintage racing with VARAC: more races, cheaper car preparation than PCA - UCR, and a 9/10ths attitude to racing that keeps it fun. We have four 914's going [including mine] - two recently built from street cars. Mosport is the home base, with races at Tremblant, Shannonville, and members joining in with all the neighboring US club races. No need to chase 911s on highway 401, when you can outbrake MG's at Mosport!
Gavin Ivory [VARAC #58 - 914 2L/6]
Mark Henry
Sounds cool Gavin!!

Couple of questions:

Do I have to have a cage? I don't really want to mess with my 95% mint interior. I would be more interested in fun than competative.

What class is a modified /4 in?

Any DE classes?

I know at Mosport if you spin on a corner and don't hit anything you'll be OK. So how competitive, etc., is this racing.

I've heard the upper crust PCA guys have some nose trouble, but this bunch seemed like OK dudes.

driving.gif
givory
Sounds cool Gavin!!

Couple of questions:

Do I have to have a cage?

...yes, can be bolt-in. Check out the safety rules.

What class is a modified /4 in?

...Historic Production - 1963 -1972. You'd run mid pack.

Any DE classes?

... we don't run any, but plenty are available at Mosport and Shannonville. Suggest you do a a few first, and take a skid control school, then you will have to take your comp. licence [3 days at Shannonville].

I know at Mosport if you spin on a corner and don't hit anything you'll be OK. So how competitive, etc., is this racing.

...our members build and maintain their own cars, and most are "mature" drivers [older farts, like me]. Though we have members that raced for a living against Moss and Penske, ALL have to buy into the right attitude: ie don't put your fellow competitor [and his or her car] at risk. [BTW we have a handful of very fast women]. The cars are the focus, and many are beautiful and rare. But it is racing, and members know cars may get damaged. Come to our AGM Nov 15 in Toronto - followed by a brewery party, of course!

I've heard the upper crust PCA guys have some nose trouble, but this bunch seemed like OK dudes.

... I think PCA - UCR DE is very different from PCA Club racing, where there is far more money spent and and on track attitudes more aggressive than with VARAC.

Gavin
davep
Hi guys,

I've been a member of UCR since 1976, and president in 80 & 81. I'm not really active at this time, but pop by sometimes. Most of the active members are gear-heads, and really great people. Membership is about 1000. About 10 years ago I used to have 914 Day events at my place in Burford. Still have a business on the side (Fourteener Werks) to sell parts (the rafters really do groan). Hope to meet you guys some time. Maybe I'll have to organize another event since a bunch of us are still in regular contact.

DaveP
Mark Henry
DaveP, could you Email (or post) me your contact info.

I'm a buddy of Mike Gallaway (sp?) of Mikes 914 in Oshawa, I build his engines/machining etc.

Where is Burford anyways?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.