Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More on that mystery event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
lapuwali
Linkie

It's all on that site. Anyone who wants to put together a 914club team, speak up. Martin Swig is one of the organizers. He runs the California Mille and the Anti-Football Run every year.

Deadline for entry is Aug 31, so if we're going to do this, we need to get our ducks in a row soonish.

Doing this in a 914 would be great, but I doubt even we could manage to assemble one for $500. Perhaps we'll find a FIAT or something. I know of a running Renault Dauphine for $350...

nebreitling
OMFG! i'd love to do this. it would take some serious effort, though -- and i could only provide like 1/3rd the prep time/costs in terms of a roll, cage, fire system, fuel cell, etc (which is the only way i'd get out there and actually do it).

HOWEVER, if any one in addition James is serious about it, i've got a welder, some garage space, and some spare time/cash.

nate.
grantsfo
I'm thinking bio diesel Puegeot would fit the bill. Or mabe a crappy old turbo Renault Fuego. However given cars cant use antifreeze maybe a good old air cooled car is the way to go.
Trekkor
idea.gif

Wow!!

45-55mph? I think not.

KT
lapuwali
Either I'm only to play "team manager", or I have to figure out how to get a competition license by October. I had a bike racing license 10 years ago, but I doubt they'll take that...
drew365
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 11 2006, 07:19 AM) *

Either I'm only to play "team manager", or I have to figure out how to get a competition license by October. I had a bike racing license 10 years ago, but I doubt they'll take that...

The site says you can buy a license on the spot for $75. Apparently this is a profit deal.
lapuwali
I'mnot sure that's the deal. The TRACK will sell you a "valid NASCAR license", which may involve some instruction ("Don't drive with beer, you'll spill it?").
lapuwali
On Craigslist: BMW 318i for $175. Runs but won't pass smog...This might be easier than I thought. Also a 924 for $450. Not one Yugo, for any price...
lapuwali
On costs, btw, Nate mentioned being limited to 1/3. The rules say 4-6 drivers on a team (it is 24 hours, after all), so I'd say if we can't get at least 6 payers on board, there's no point in bothering. $500 car + $500 entry fee + $600 ($100 each driver) + $500 for safety gear (cage and fire extinguisher) is $350 apiece, assuming you can provide your own personal safety gear (SA helmet [no bike helmets], firesuit), plus expenses. Expenses would be gas (24 hours on the track is going to mean a LOT of gas, probably 40-50 gallons, or another $150 or so), mostly. Figure $400 each, at most, and maybe much less ($175 BMW...).

We'd need a tow vehicle and a trailer, which I know several people here have. We have several welders to help out with cage installation.

eeyore
Altamont Raceway?! Sweet!

chair.gif
mightyohm
I am 100% in, I can help with fabrication, electricals, grunt work, etc. I probably suck as a driver but I am willing to give it a shot... Where do I send the paypal?

Is there any way we could do a turbo for this kind of money? I think the performance advantage would be huge and we could run ridiculous boost on the disposable car. Maybe a super cheap car and a homebrew turbo kit, or something that came boosted but is still a crap car (volvo?). More than one of us is competent at hacking fuel injection, which is a good start...
lapuwali
I think just having a running car at the end will be a major accomplishment. I doubt many will be too careful about passing, and it's mostly an oval, so I'm sure there will be a fair amount of "rubbing" going on. Hot mods would probably be bull bars, not turbos.
mightyohm
Is there a link to past years anywhere with photos of the cars? I couldn't find one in my brief search.
lapuwali
This is, I believe, the first year of this event.

The organizers have been running the "Double 500" for awhile (500km in $500 cars on the road). Martin Swig as a LOT of experience running car events. Many of these kinds of events tend to keep a fairly low profile. The California Melee, for example, has a website, but there's not a lot on it, and they don't actively seek publicity, mostly for fear of becoming too popular.

I'm sure the field will be divided between those who are going to take the racing way too seriously, and those who won't take it seriously enough, with the majority somewhere in the middle.
grantsfo
Its not clear to me how the race works. Whats the deal with speeds of 45-50MPH? If you are speed limited then using a diesel with a big fuel tank seems to me to be a winning car. Pickup a old VW rabbit diesel - they get close to 50 mpg. If you depend on speed then choice becomes a little more difficult - higher HP better handling then comes into play.

I just like the Bio diesel angle - Bet I could get fuel sponsor!
fiid
I'll have a one month old then... so no go for this year, but next year I'm on it like flies on shit.

I think a biodiesel rabbit might be a good schtick... esp if we can get a blower on it (I have a couple of spare turbos at home smile.gif

lapuwali
If you follow the link to Altamont's site, it looks like they may be using the inner "short" oval, so those two turns on the end are probably so tight that the typical $500 car simply isn't going to make it up past 55mph at the other end of that straight. Just a guess. You know as much as I do.

Trekkor
Still interested...

KT
mightyohm
I wonder if this is like the GRM challenge where you can subtract profits from items sold off the car from the purchase price?

I am assuming that uniqueness will play a part in winning the people's choice award, so completing the race in an ~89 Camry or similar unwanted econobox is probably not going to be much fun, although that would almost certainly be the cheapest route!

Craigslist is full of $50-200 vehicles, especially in the Sacramento and LA areas.

McMark
It sounds like great fun. The rules state that the car that completes the most laps wins the $1500 prize. So speed is a factor. Unfortunately they have the car crushing rule so if you're dominating, I bet there's a good chance you will be the popular pick for getting crushed. dry.gif

Just like the 914 it's all about getting light and picking a good car.
McMark
BMW 2002

He'd have to be convinced to sell his car for less, but it'd be fun!
mudfoot76
I showed the race site to a couple of friends. After talking about it for awhile, we considered this might be an ultimate road trip/bachelor party (we're all track addicts, and one is getting married this fall). Craigslist has a number of <$500 cars in the area, and we purchase one-way tickets from CA back to Indy. Drive the beast out, compete for as long as possible...

So, if you were to enter, would you go for the older, lightweight classic (say that BMW 2002 referenced previously), or something like an 80's sedan (caprice, bonneville, etc) with rear wheel drive and big V8? I'm interested in everyone's opinions biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
Depends on if you want to win clean, or go w/ the circle track mentality... If you cant win, take out someone who can biggrin.gif

I'm trying to round up some so-cal guys to do this too... i'd love to be part of the club team, but yall are up in the bay area, not the REAL california

BJH
sww914
Free 924.
http://slo.craigslist.org/car/182164446.html
It says it runs, at least it's sort of a Porsche.
Terrance
I'm going to bring out a Trebant.
jimtab
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 11 2006, 12:04 PM) *

On costs, btw, Nate mentioned being limited to 1/3. The rules say 4-6 drivers on a team (it is 24 hours, after all), so I'd say if we can't get at least 6 payers on board, there's no point in bothering. $500 car + $500 entry fee + $600 ($100 each driver) + $500 for safety gear (cage and fire extinguisher) is $350 apiece, assuming you can provide your own personal safety gear (SA helmet [no bike helmets], firesuit), plus expenses. Expenses would be gas (24 hours on the track is going to mean a LOT of gas, probably 40-50 gallons, or another $150 or so), mostly. Figure $400 each, at most, and maybe much less ($175 BMW...).

We'd need a tow vehicle and a trailer, which I know several people here have. We have several welders to help out with cage installation.

It looks to me like there are only 2 --4hour run periods with a party in between...did I miss something...this sounds like more fun than a barrel of titties! I'm in if you'll have me...I'd have to buy a NASCAR licence tho....written in pencil I presume..... biggrin.gif Well, as usual, I did miss something..the first race period is 7 hours and the second is 8 hours for a total of 15....that's a long time in a beater....
lapuwali
I've email the organizer asking for some clarification on the licensing issue. If you can really just show up and pay $75 for a "valid NASCAR license", then it looks like me, Nathan, Jeff, and Jim are serious (or, rather NOT serious) enough about actually doing this.

Any other takers?

Who has a trailer, a tow vehicle, and enough space to store the victim? Most of the interesting sub-$500 cars are not licensed, so we'll need to tow the thing away. Jeff is moving, and I know he doesn't have a tow rig...

I'll ask Jeroen for persmission to rattle-can the 914club logo on the sides of the car...
lapuwali
I got a reply to my licensing question...

Hi, James:

Yeah, that's the deal--show up, fork over $75, and hey presto, you're
an accredited, licensed NASCAR driver. Kinda begs the question of
what the license proves (aside from your ability to pay $75), but
that's the terms of the track rental/insurance contract. It does kind
of explain a lot about typical NASCAR driving, on the other hand.

Hope we see you there--Jay

So, I in as a driver. They DO require an SA helmet (which I have), so if you've only got a motorcycle (M) helmet you'll need to pony up to get a car helmet. They don't appear to require the rest of the fire gear, but I'd certainly suggest you get some.

jimtab
WOW...I'm gonna be a NASCAR driver just like .....uh...Dale ur..Junior...ur...a Bodine...wish I was as fast......
jimtab
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif I'm getting the sinking feeling that this isn't going to happen.....sure seemed like a good idea at the time.....
914TD
Hi, new to this site but not others like it, this sounds like a blast, I’d consider it. No posts on this topic since July and early August, what’s up?
Ok here’s my choice for a beater racer: BMW 1977-1983 320i, bought one several years ago or so at a impound auction for $375 when I was between cash and a totaled car, ran like a bat out of hell for about 3 months then died. Eventually I gave it to cars for causes.
Impound auctions are a good place to look for cheap, and I have also seen the 320’s advertised private party cheep too.
For their age they handle very well even with worn out suspension.
I also like the biodiesel Rabbit idea but boosting the 1.6L NA wont last long. The 1.6L TD is/was a completely different engine, different head and crank and they are hard to find and a bit pricey because they are rare. I know because I own one, and no, sorry it is not available, would also not make the 500 buck chalange.

For the record, I’m in LA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.