Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jacking car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
can you jack the rear of the car at the tranny case using a block of wood or is that a no no?

tia,
dr
Rusty
I suppose you could, but I wouldn't. It might have the strength, but it wasn't designed as a load bearing point. I've braced the engine/tranny combo at the point where they joined, but I didn't use that as a spot to hold the entire weight of the car.

Why do you want to jack from there?
machina
just thought it would be easier, I am lazy.

anyway, just jacked from each side and put stands underneath, thanks anyway.

dr
Drums66
Don't do it! you put your tranny mounts in peril ninja.gif
J P Stein
Not to drive any one gaga, but I do it all the time.
Over the years, the car has made this trip ....gawd....hundreds of times. Nuthin' has broke yet.
URY914
Side to side is a PITA.
I'm a tranny jacker myself. laugh.gif

(don't tell my wife) cool_shades.gif

Paul
machina
so do you jack it more towards the rear, near the tranny mounts or more forward near the CV joints?
URY914
I put the jack at the lowest point which is under the transaxle at the axles. This way it gets up as high as possible.

Paul
smrz914
I also use the tranny. I found it very difficult to put a jack stand right where the jack is. use the very end of the tranny. I' afraid that if it put it in the middle of the tranny it could slip. And going any closer to the engine would reduce the throw of the lever arm of the jack.

I would assume that if you have solid mounts then there should be no "peril"

Paul
'72 5.8 918
J P Stein
Right at the rear mounts, with a wood 2 X 6 X 6 to keep
from smooching the shifter console.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.