Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack stands on the rear with no engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I need to get my car on jackstands to continue to prep it for the engine that will be transplanted from my other one.
I am leary of using the jack stands cuz on my last one they bent up and bent the body
I generally use the engine bar(dunno if that was a good Idea or not) to jack the rear.
With this car, it doesnt have an engine bar so I am unsure if there is a preferred place to put the stands without the bar.

Where can I put the stands in the rear?
rhodyguy
under the 2 rear donuts on the pan bottom.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 11 2003, 07:38 AM)
Where can I put the stands in the rear?

my preferred location is on the trailing arm cross-shaft - that shaft is designed to hold the weight of the car. if your body's in good shape, of course, the donuts are excellent.

i don't like the idea of jacking the car by the engine or the transmission, but i know professionals do it all the time. i can't see how it's good for the mount rubbers - but of course - they're designed to hold a lot of weight too ...
Rusty
My preferred place for jack stands is the suspension pick-up point. I put a piece of 2x2 beneath it, and rest the jack stands there.

Second place is to run 2x4 the width of the floor pan, as far back as you can, and then put the jackstands there.

The donuts are good for jack points, but it's hard to put a jackstand there, when it's supported on the donut by the jack itself.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Rusty
my preferred location is on the trailing arm cross-shaft - that shaft is designed to hold the weight of the car. if your body's in good shape, of course, the donuts are excellent.

The trailing arm cross shaft... wouldn't that cause damage to the stock rubber bushings, over time?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Oct 11 2003, 09:21 AM)
The trailing arm cross shaft... wouldn't that cause damage to the stock rubber bushings, over time?

i'm not sure the car can tell if it's seeing load to the bushings because it's being directly supported there as opposed to the load it sees when the suspension is on the ground...

if it -is- a bad idea - someone who knows for sure please jump in and i'll stop recommending it. i won't be using the bushings that are still in my trailing arms so i'm not sweating any damage i might have done to them by mounting jackstands there all those years. it's being supported on the tub donuts now, and will be for a long time to come...
Rusty
Rich,

I have no personal experience to say the bushings would be damaged... but from the deteriorated condition I've seen in 30+ year old rubber bushings - it can't help.

MHO, only.

-Rusty smoke.gif
J P Stein
You don't wanna see how I block up my car....I hate jackstands. My castered boxes are a bit much for some folks.

One can use wood blocks under the doughnuts..4 places..16 inch long sections of 2 or 4 X 12 works good. I have a pee pot full of them for when the boxes are a bit much for me.

Works well and is good when you want to pull the swing arms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.