Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm painting my car today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Just shot the first three sections and found it is too thin. Think I was holding the gun too far and moving too fast.

Shot the next piece and it ran on me-but boy I got the paint on it.

I'll let 'em dry for a few hours and shoot the first ones again.

And before anyone flames me with that "worthless w/o pics", I'll post pics soon enough.

Paul
seanery
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.giflaugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif
URY914
First coat-too thin
URY914
front
URY914
The run...
URY914
I also decided to prep and paint the rear fenders and trunk lid.

I figure as long as I'm set up- go for it. Of course I got circuit breakers popping and I didn't wear long pants and shirt so I a little red.

DYI-the only way to go.

Paul
rhodyguy
paul, if you intend to do a coat of clear you could put a sticker on the base and shoot over it. hell maybe 10 of them. ohmy.gif

kevin
URY914
I need two BIG stickers.
Like 24" x 6", whatever the right ratio is, for the fenders.

Paul
ChrisReale
I think its well on its way to being a great looking car. Way to go smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
Just finished shooting the second coat.
No runs, no drips, but I did see one bug.
Next time-paint during the day. The garage lights brought all the night flyers in.
I'll leave it alone until tomorrow.
Sleep tight, new red paint.

Time for a cool Bud Lite!! beer.gif

Paul
URY914
Here is the paint booth
d914
whats that thing way dressed out???
d914
or whats that thing weigh dressed out??
rick 918-S
Good for you. Glad to see yo took charge. What brand of paint did you decide on? You can always wait until the paint is dry and sand out the run and retop coat the parts.
URY914
Somewhere around 1,550 is my best guess. Last time I had it on a set of scales it was 1598, but I've changed a bunch of stuff since then.

Paul
URY914
The run/drips was this morning and I waited a few hours and sanded it down. The paint is DuPont Nason, a "less expenive product line"(read cheap). $45/gal. Didn't want to learn on the good stuff and its a race car not a show car.

Paul
rick 918-S
That explains the transparent finish. When your finished it will have a great shine like clear coat. This is an exception the the rule. Good and cheap don't usually work in a sentence.
mharrison
The painters' lingo for your booboo there is a "sag", not a run. When you've got a big spot like that they call it a sag. (I learned that when a painter was discussing the results of my first outing with the spray-gun !)

BTW.....If that happens again, wait 'til it's hardened enough to be tacky, but not wet and put a piece of masking tape right over a run, or right along a sag leaving enough to use as a handle sticking off. (I usually just keep it attached to the roll.) Just put it on long enough to put it on and then pull it off again. It will pull some of the run or sag off and make the clean up easier. I've been able to just shoot over several spots that I've treated this way and they look perfect.
(Learned from the same painter that told me what to call a sag!)

Besides, what do have to lose at that point anyway? The other alternative is sanding it down.....if you mess this up, that's what you have to do right?

Now, it's a ball painting isn't it? Nothing quite gives you the same instant feeling of accomplishment as spraying say a hood and stepping back to look at it. Keep it up and you'll be painting your buddies' cars!!!

Did you wet down the garage floor with the hose first? That keeps the dust down, and keeps the overspray from sticking.
URY914
Maybe it the word "sag". I just don't like using it. laugh.gif

But you're right, I've been out to look at it five times. Like it is going to change or something.

Tomorrow I'm going to hang the pieces on the car and just look at it for hours.

Paul
Mike T
Paul,

I started fiberglass work on my own car this week.

I have a new found appreciation for the work you've done there. clap56.gif

Nice job! beer.gif

Mike T
URY914
Thanks Tim,
Things sure look easy when someone else is doing the work. Those guys at Gunnar Racing make things look real easy, too.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.