Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another gear question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Brad can you answer a question for me.
Is there sometimes a gear that will work in one location and not another.

what I'm getting at is that I was told to find a 4th gear "O" and the person who told this to me seemed to be saying that there were some "O"'s that were made for 4th and some that were made for other spots in the box.

Does this make since?
brant
Bleyseng
Look at the teeth count for the different gears. Sometimes if you "flip" a gear around, which means putting the drive gear on the other shaft plus the other gear of the set on the drive gear shaft, you can get the ratios you want.
Earlier we posted about "flipping" 5th gear (a ZD) into 3rds location to get a shorter 3rd ratio. You can do this with most of the gear sets I figure, its all about the ratios you want.

I did the ZD into 3rd and love it. 2nd gear is the only one you can't play with unless you get either a different mainshaft or a 904 mainshaft with removeable gears.

Geoff
brant
Geoff,

let me re-phrase the question.
Here is what I'm trying to figure out:

"Is there a "O" gear that only works in 4th, or will any "O" gear work in forth?

I've figured out the ratios I want and now need to buy a "O" gear for my 4th slot. I just want to be an informed consumer as I look for a used "O"
brant
brant
So does all the silence confirm it was a dumb question and all of the gears will fit on any shaft?

brant
TimT
LOL i just pm'ed you
brant
I thought I'd post this publically for everyone's benefit.
I know I'm sure learning as I go here...

Tim It looks like my new goal has changed to trying to find an "O" gear that was originally built to fit the 4th/5th slot.

I haven't yet fully figured out how to tell the difference but I'm working on it.

I'll PM this to you as an update:

see this link

thanks all
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.