Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crunchy gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I threw in a different trans but I had a problem 1st/rev before.

I resurfaced the flywheel put in a new 914 disc, used (spec good) P.Plate and adjusted it up. I had to use clearanced bolts on the fly.

I still got the crunchies, any suggestions?
Bleyseng
Did you adjust the ball/cup throwout arm pivot with an extra shim washer to make up the difference that the flywheel lost from being turned?

Makes a difference as the arm needs to be closer to be adjusted right.

Or just adjust the clutch freeplay tighter and shift slowly.

If all the parts/gears/synchros,sliders are within spec it should shift nicely. How were the synchros,dogteeth and sliders?

Geoff wavey.gif
JWest
Reverse crunches when you have a clutch issue.

Make sure you have the stop on the pedal board adjusted far enough up so you get full disengagement.

Also check for a moving clutch tube and the items Geoff mentioned.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 11 2003, 02:50 PM)
Did you adjust the ball/cup throwout arm pivot with an extra shim washer to make up the difference that the flywheel lost from being turned?

Makes a difference as the arm needs to be closer to be adjusted right.

Or just adjust the clutch freeplay tighter and shift slowly.

If all the parts/gears/synchros,sliders are within spec it should shift nicely. How were the synchros,dogteeth and sliders?

Geoff wavey.gif

Oh great I have to drop the engine again???
The season is almost over and I'm too busy, so I guess it will be a spring job. I'll try James trick first, I'd rather try a different box before I rip into this one, I've got 4 more sitting here.
Oh well! huh.gif
Red-Beard
You can just drop the tranny. It's easier than dropping both together and weighs a lot less.

James
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 12 2003, 10:00 AM)
You can just drop the tranny. It's easier than dropping both together and weighs a lot less.

James

I might do that, but it will still be at least next weekend before I can.
ss6
Been there, just did that.

Same issues, had to drop the friggin tranny TO INSTALL A WASHER!!!

Took me a good chunk of a Saturday, but the crunchies disappeared (OK, 1st at a stop light, occasionally), and the tranny seems to shift a little better everywhere else.
Bleyseng
I brought this up because when I installed my rebuilt motor with resurfaced lightened flywheel, I didn't know about the washer. (4 years ago) I fought the Rev/1st gear crunching for 2 effin years!! Then I read about it on a BBS I ripped the tranny out to try it, bingo! what a difference! Damn thing shifts really nice!

Geoff
Dave Avery
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 13 2003, 10:33 AM)
I brought this up because when I installed my rebuilt motor with resurfaced lightened flywheel, I didn't know about the washer. (4 years ago) I fought the Rev/1st gear crunching for 2 effin years!! Then I read about it on a BBS I ripped the tranny out to try it, bingo! what a difference! Damn thing shifts really nice!

Geoff

Hmmm... what washer (asks the guy with very crunchy gears wink.gif)

Did a search for washer and crunch and didn't find anything. Could you elaborate?

-DMA
JWest
The washer goes behind the pivot ball for the clutch fork in the transmission bellhousing. When the flywheel is machined, the fork needs to be moved towards the engine the same amount to preserve the geometry.
Bleyseng
When material is removed from the flywheel for resurfacing, the clutch disc and pressure plate are recessed into the flywheel more. The throwout bearing arm must be shimmed the amount removed. This is done by adding a washer under the arm pivot. At the same time the pivot bushing should be checked or replaced as they break pretty easy. Everyone I have seen in the tranny I have used or bought have been toast (4 trannys).

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.