Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any early Mustang fans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
I have the opportunity to trade my 914 for a 100% original and complete 64.5 Mustang convertible. It is in need of a full restoration, but is complete. I have not made up my mind yet, but on paper the value of the Mustang is actually more than my complete 914 with a bad motor. When complete the Mustang will be worth 4-5 times what my 914 will ever be. I doo all my own paint and body, so the resto will be parts only, the parts are all avaialbel and actually much cheaper then 914 parts. I'm leaning towards doing it.

The Mustang is a very early production car with a straight 6, it is an auto which is very rare.

Whats everyones opinion, remember I was thinking of getting out of the Porsche game anyway.
blitZ
I think the 6 with automatic were fairly common, I see many in the AutoTrader Classic site. The V8s fetch more money, 260 or 289, especially with a stick.
nomore9one4
I would go for the Mustang ph34r.gif I had grown up owning and "driving" them and I see myself with more in the future. I think the 60'S mustangs were by far the best looking of the breed. Easy choice when you realize you even gave yourself the option. confused24.gif Good Luck! beerchug.gif
David_S
Seriously ....in my opinion .....don't do it unless you can back out of it easily!!! I have helped restore a 65 and a 66 Mustang convertible, and both of them were in such shitty shape that they should have been scrapped!! Come to find out rust is an issue just like on out teeners, and rust affects the frame rails just like on our teeners! Both cars that I helped with had nothing left of about a 2 1/2 foot section of the frame rails. Make sure that the one you may be getting isn't this bad.....or you will regret it !!!!!!!!!
Joe Ricard
Not on your life.
Way back when I was car shopping to replace wife's car. She wanted a 65 something Mustang. We looked at and drove a bunch of them. Wallowy suspension, under braked, lots of power, heavy clutch. they rust too.
ended up with 928 wonderful car.

I'll keep the 914 at least I know what I got.
shelby/914
You are correct the Must will be more valuable when restored than a 914 with a bad motor. I've owned 15 Mustangs and a Cougar compared to only 2 914s. Still have the Shelby and 2 coupes. They too are rust prone, but every part you can possible need is available in one of the many catalogs. You may think a 6 automatic is rare and it may be, but thats because it is currently the least desiraple power train combo to most hobbiests. Many 6cyls have already been converted to v8s. So, restore the Mustang sell it and buy a better 914.
MBowman325
I've seen several running in decent shape 64-68 Mustangs for sale here over the past three years for 2000-5000 dollars. There was a 64 with the I6 and Auto with a purple or blue rattle spray job for 2500 that just needed a little cosmetic work.

I'll agree that they have their share of rust issues, a friend of mine has a 68 that's not overly bad, but I was amazed at that amount of rust for a Texas car. (Then I bought the Aero from SLC...) You can get everything for them. They're a Unibody car, unlike my GM cars, so the same concept of bodywork applies to them as does a 914.

Probabily the reason, as stated above, that you don't see many I6 engines in the 'stangs is that people stick in the 289 or 351 at first chance.

It's all in what you wanna do. Jake's 68 now has a 416 (stroked out 351W) under the hood, and once he beefs up the transmission (A4), and fixes his electrical problems, it'll go.

I've always had a thing (even gefore Gone in 60 Seconds was rereleased, came from Gun Smith Cats) for the 67 Shelby GT 350 (w/ Paxton) and the GT 500. The 68 hood scoop is ugly to me...
tat2dphreak
I love the 'stangs... all the years, really... one of the car resto shows did a 66 but put a late-80s 5.0 engine in it... Ford never changed the motor mounts, they bolt right in smile.gif
1bad914
The car comes with a complete 289 and an 8 inch rear end plus about 1/3 of the sheet metal required to repair it. Plus a full and complete in the box front disc brake upgrade.

It has rust I know where it is and it is no worse then some of the VW's and Porsches I have done. He just does not have time for it and likes the idea of the 914 even though he has no idea what to do with it, it's funny when a non-porsche guy looks at the motor and says "that thing scares me, I have no idea what to do with it" biggrin.gif .

As far as the auto is concerned, this is a very early production 64.5, they all had the I6, but were mostly a three speed manual. Late 64 and early 65 the V8 started to show up.

I can upgrade this to the 289 and keep the I6 for originality. I agree they can be a pain to keep straight, but no different then trying to replace support rails on a Beetle vert and keeping it straight, I have seen those done right and wrong, not pretty. I think I'll do it unless something else jumps out at me. Curves are fun, but I'm in the mood for a beach cruiser, something my wife will get in and drive around once in awhile, she will look hotter than she already is in this car with the top down! drooley.gif
boxstr
I have had a 65 Convert and a fastback and I currently have another one. Love the looks and the car, when sorted out.
Had a nice little I6 and auto convert, sold it to a fellow that was going to do the conversion to a 289 4 speed.
I say go for it. Keep us posted.
CCLINPONYHEAVEN
jasons
I've owned 2 65 fastbacks. They are fun cars and get a lot of looks. You know, much like 914's 6 cyl mustangs were 4 lug and 8 cyl mustangs were 5 lug. If you put the V8 and the 8" in, I would mothball the I6. I doubt its worth any more than a properly converted V8. Unless it were unmolested, original, low miles, condition and it doesn't sound like it is.
1bad914
I'm going over to look at it again tonight or tomorrow night, I'll snap some pics, the funny part is that my Notchback sat right next to it in storage and I never noticed it, it finally reached out and grabbed me and I have not been able to get it off my mind since. He has agreed to trade, it's up to me now!
nomore9one4
Go for it! There are plenty of 914's to fall back on if the urge is there. driving.gif
KaptKaos
I wouldn't consider value of the car too highly. In either case, neither the 914 or the Mustang will sell for enough for you to retire on. 914 values are rising so they will eventually be worth more. How much more, who knows???

You also need to be wary that your friend has no idea what he is getting into. Three or four months after the trade, he may regret the deal. Then what?

Lastly, if you don't have your heart in the 914, then you should make the swap.

Good luck and thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Sparky
It's a conv, so the rust starts in the cowel, then moves to the firewall, then down to the floors, the torque boxes, and finally to the front frame rails. Check the rear spring mounts, they typically rust through and punch through the sides of the trunk floor. Not that big a deal except your gas tank is held in by that and the top of your fuel tank is the trunk floor. Been there and done many. I have a '68 Shelby that is in storage until I get the Porsche bug out of my system. Parts are readily available, my favorite supplier is Mustangs Unlimited. Front disc kits aren't uncommon, drop the 8" rear end and find a 9" from a Lincoln that already has the rear discs on it. Find a 302 and then locate some 351 heads. The heads will bolt right on the block, then you can start playing with better cam profiles and intake options. The 64.5 automatic really isn't that rare, it's a preference thing. Rare would be a factory power top on a 64.5.

My best,
Mike D.
1bad914
The torque boxes are bad and the floor boards are bad, the firewall is fine and the rails will need a little work. It shopuld be fun and my heart is not in the 914 right now!
Porcharu
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you something to look at in the garage a stock Mustang is a nice thing.

If you want to drive it you need to modify almost everything in the chassis. The power steering is horrible (I converted mine to the fast ratio manual box - but then most people can't drive the car due to the very high steering effort) , the brakes are flat out dangerous and of course it handles like a wallowing pig.

The good news is nowdays all of that is easy (but not cheap) to fix and you can do it without butchering the car. After the chassis is fixed you can start making some power - this is super easy with a small Ford and you can do a lot and still look stock-ish.

szuccaro
Click to view attachmentKeep em both. Mustang values are guaranteed to go up. Granted, 6 cyl and automatic are not desirable, but a 64 1/2 is rare. Steve
Mike McGrath
Why don't you just buy a Mustang and keep the 914 to drive around while you restore? They're both fun in their own ways and it gives you another excuse to go to car club events.

You can pick up a reasonable condition Mustang (and there are a lot of them all over the place) for next to nothing. 64 1/2 is more, of course, but the bodies were relatively the same through 66, then 67 and 68, then 69 and beyond. You can always find a decent starting point. And you probably already know that, unlike the 914, there really isn't any such thing as NLA for Mustangs.

If you're gonna restore it with the idea of building value, you better figure that ANYTHING deviating from strict originality will kill the high value. With so many to choose from, I've seen a huge range of prices for really minor things that improve drivability(upgraded stereos, disc brakes, shoulder seat belts, etc.).

Mike (in Portland)

So.Cal.914
Had a 72 pony I restored and it was a cool car and the return was great.

The 64 1/2, 65, and 66's were nice but the suspension was lacking. There are

companys that make replacement suspensions that kick. But major $. I owned

alot of classic American cars but none could touch my 914 for handling. What

do you want to do with it? (mustang)
1bad914
I just want a nice beach cruiser, if I want to go fast in the curves I'll drive the BMW.

Actually the suspension upgrades are not to expensive and since I will be taking this car down to nothing it will be the perfect time to upgrade. I have a friend that just finished a full resto of a 66 vert, and the guy that wants to trade has a 66 Fastback that he just did all the things that this one will need. Maybe thats why he wants to trade! blink.gif He actually knows that he would be be 90 years old by the time he gets to it, he has worked on hiss 66 for 3 years and it not even close.

I did not make it over to take pics last night, maybe tonight.
black73
Mustangs are a lot of fun to restore and drive. My '66 has been my daily driver for over a year.
1bad914
I'm finally going over tonight to see the car again, I will make my decision then. Pics to follow!
lylegd
Yes, I have a 65 fastback with a 289 and C4 automatic. Its fully restored, and professionally painted. I would describe it as a car that is nice to look at not much fun to drive, even with the upgrades I have done, the steering sucks. If you intend to drive it much, consider doing a rack and pinion upgrade to the steering. Disc brakes are pretty much a mandatory upgrade if you value your life. Other than that, it is a very pretty car to look at. If I was into car shows, then Mustang is the right choice but I'm into driving my cars and my 914/6 is a lot more fun to drive then the Mustang.
bondo
Keep in mind that although parts seem cheap, there is a LOT of really crappy aftermarket stuff for Mustangs. It's a big market, and you have to shop VERY carefully. It adds up quick, and often used parts are snapped up quickly because of the larger market.

(I have a 67 fastback)

effutuo101
My first car was a 64 Falcon Futura coup with a 260 V8. I loved that car. Happier with my 914 though. everybody has a mustang. If I had the room, I would go back to a convertable Falcon. Much more desirable in my book.
1bad914
Well I finally went over to check the car out a little more, I think I will pass and stick with my 914. This a complete car...a complete POS! barf.gif

You can see bt the pics that it does not look bad, what you don't see is the level of filler and FG that is in the car, plus the rust to the front and rear frames is extensive, it does have a power top which one of you said was rare. I told him I would think about it. Attached are pics of the stang and the car I was trading. I think I'm just going to rebuild a 2.0 and put it in the 914 instead. One of you Mustang guys can tell me if the Vinis that early if you want.

Both front fenders need replacing, plus the bottom 9 inches around most of the car.
black73
Looks like a fairly early 64 1/2. The production #s went from 100001 -230000 on 64 1/2s. This one looks like 168188.
1bad914
Thanks!

I'm still struggling with this decision, I tore down the 2.0 I was going to use today and it is trashed, one of the heads has a cracked SP hole. Plus the rest of the motor is a mess. In the back of my mind I keep thinking of the stang, all the parts are available it would just take some time!!!
black73
That Mustang looks like a huge, long term project to me... just depends on what you are willing to take on, I guess. welder.gif
1bad914
I must be a glutten for punishment, but I think I'm going to do this, I talked to a Mustang guy that just did this to a 65 and he is offering to help in any way to make this easier, he is helping me build a jig to support the car, he offered to do it at his garage, he has a build table and has all the body measurement sheets, I'm kind of pumped, it will be a long haul resto, but will challenge me more than any VW or Porsche has to date, and I still have my Notch that is in work as we speak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.