Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust report
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
groot
Chris shipped me the header a few weeks ago and I installed it prior to my trip to Watkins Glen.

Sales pitch warning....
The header was jethot coated and just freaking georgeous. The craftsmanship is top-notch and there's a lot of very detailed welding. I installed the stub pipes, header and silencer in a few hours, taking my time to get everything sealed up well. It's definitely quieter than my open header was, and makes more mid-range power.

So, does anybody want a TRIAD header with stub pipes? It has drilled holes for EGT sensors, but I could weld them closed.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(groot @ Jul 12 2006, 06:01 AM) *

Chris shipped me the header a few weeks ago and I installed it prior to my trip to Watkins Glen.

Sales pitch warning....
The header was jethot coated and just freaking georgeous. The craftsmanship is top-notch and there's a lot of very detailed welding. I installed the stub pipes, header and silencer in a few hours, taking my time to get everything sealed up well. It's definitely quieter than my open header was, and makes more mid-range power.

So, does anybody want a TRIAD header with stub pipes? It has drilled holes for EGT sensors, but I could weld them closed.

Mine is going to be on display at Chris' open house on the 15th and then in the box and off to sunny and hot CA to my house the following Monday...

I am glad to hear someone with a positive performance experience. I have never seen one just heard the glory stories...
Joe Ricard
Just to add:
I LOVE MY TANGERINE HEADER. But my nieghbors don't........
Tough noogies to them.
groot
My neighbors prefer the tangerine....it's definitely quieter than my old exhaust.

I forgot to mention that my race buddies got wood over it, too. I enjoyed showing it off at the track.

Now, I need to mention I was very skeptical due to the cost, but, after careful examination, there is a crazy amount of fabrication time in this exhaust. This is a rare example of getting proper value from an expensive purchase.

Thanks, Chris. Good work drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
hey kev,

i may know someone who wants the triad header..

send some pics and a price to acox914@comcast.net
Joe Ricard
So I take it you ran on the track with it? and you still had head temp problems? (sorry for the off topic post)

Just upgrading from the SSI Bursch to Tangerine put my head temps at least 50 degrees lower. I also installed the Mallory dizzy which contributed also.

So back to basics and yes this is stupid. but is your gauge calibrated. is the head temp corresponding to the oil temp?

groot
Aaron, I'll take some pics tonight.

Joe, I ran a straight open header before, so if anything, I have more backpressure now, so directionally, CHTs may have gone up due to the exhaust change. The guages (I run 2 CHTs and take data on them) read correctly with boiling water..... I have trouble getting temp into my oil, with my latest changes. When I'm driving on the track 180 degrees is all I get, but in the pits idling, it'll climb over 200.
Joe Ricard
That reminds me I need to install my Westach CHT's
180 oil temp on the track WOW!
Wonder if a Pyrometer like a long acre tire / brake pyrometer with probe would be able to get in to the same area of CHT thermocouple.
I'm going to try and remember to do this tonight.

Well that kinda worked. I was able to ge the probe down near the spark plug and got reading that were within 20 ish degrees of the gauge. didn't run the engine up to full temp sorta pressed for time. But I think it will work.
groot
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 12 2006, 12:50 PM) *

180 oil temp on the track WOW!

Yep... too cold. I've got a thermostat ready to install, just need to cut the lines and install it. I put my large oil cooler in the headlight bucket and used only the fog light opening to put air through it. It really works well for cooling. I should also mention that I have a huge volume of oil. I converted to dry sump a few months ago and I run ~16 quarts of oil. Even so, the temp stablizes at 180 on the track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.