Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URGENT towing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mamacita
Dh rented a tow dolly to go get his car in KY (approx 400 miles away). He'll be towing it with the rear wheels on the ground.

The guy at U-Haul said that he should disconnect the drive shaft before towing it on the tow dolly because towing a car can cause transmission problems even if it's in neutral.

Can someone please tell me if the disconnect is truly necessary or if the U-Haul guy just doesn't know his stuff?

I need to have an answer by about 2 p.m. Central.

TIA for your help!
Stacie
Trekkor
U-haul guy is mistaken. Tow away.

1000's of miles of trouble free towing on this board.

KT
rmital
QUOTE(Mamacita @ Jul 12 2006, 07:10 AM) *

He'll be towing it with the rear wheels on the ground.

Leo Imperial hook his 914 to the back of his Westfalia and towed/pulled it all the way from CA to NJ...he did seem to have a problem.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 12 2006, 07:14 AM) *

U-haul guy is mistaken. Tow away.

1000's of miles of trouble free towing on this board.

KT

agree.gif done it many a time with 0 issues.
fiid
I think it can cause problems on some all wheel drive cars, but I can't think what you'd do with the drive shafts if you unhooked them - they cause more damage unhooked sad.gif.

I think it'll be fine in neutral... I've seen plenty of 914s flat towed and 2 wheel towed, and pretty sure there was noone unhooking or reconnecting drive shafts.

I'm about 90% sure I'm right - I haven't done it though so caveat emptor.
boxstr
The Uhaul ididot is probably talking out his ass about a automatic, even if he isn't, you are not going to do any damage to the 914. I have tow dollyed 914s to and from Calif from Oregon , never had a problem.
NEVER EVER RENT FROM UHAUL.
CCL
echocanyons
If you do disconnect the drive shafts, you would have to disconect the complete axels in order for them not to destroy things while they turn.
SHould be safer with them in place and the trans in neutral
SLITS
Hell, I violate all the rules and tow them bassakwards (rear wheels on dolly for weight). Everybody warns me I'm gonna rip the trunk lid /targa top off (duct tape works) and blow out the windshield. I'm still waiting.

BTW, the local JUHAUL won't rent me a trailer or dolly when I tell them it's a 914...so I tell them it's a Ford F350 smilie_flagge24.gif
Mamacita
Wow, guys! Excellent information. Thank you so much (from John and from me). It sure didn't sound right to either of us, but we thought we should check with you all.

Btw...boxstr, never EVER renting from U-Haul is one of our goals in life...but this was an instance where we were forced to (we tried every other thing available to us to avoid it, but couldn't). We cannot stand U-Haul and definitely see them as a last resort - moment of desperation type thing. They suck! barf.gif

Thanks again for your advice. I passed it on to dh & he's happy to know he'd only destroy his car by following the goober's advice. smile.gif

Stacie
Mamacita
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 12 2006, 10:30 AM) *

Hell, I violate all the rules and tow them bassakwards (rear wheels on dolly for weight). Everybody warns me I'm gonna rip the trunk lid /targa top off (duct tape works) and blow out the windshield. I'm still waiting.

BTW, the local JUHAUL won't rent me a trailer or dolly when I tell them it's a 914...so I tell them it's a Ford F350 smilie_flagge24.gif

Why won't they rent you one for a 914? I wonder if that's why John had to call to probably SIX different locations before he finally found one!
Stacie
iamchappy
Ive towed from Washington to Minnesota without any problems rear wheel on the ground in N, I am currently going to tow my car with the back wheels up because the engine and tranny are out. Just make sure if you tow it rear wheels up, your front wheels are straight and you have locked and tied up your steering wheel.
SLITS
QUOTE(Mamacita @ Jul 12 2006, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 12 2006, 10:30 AM) *

Why won't they rent you one for a 914? I wonder if that's why John had to call to probably SIX different locations before he finally found one!
Stacie

I forget the lame excuse they tell me. When I found that out, I just tell them what they want to hear.....any Detroit iron I can think of at the moment.

As far as locking the steering wheel, I take a piece of rope, tie it around the steering wheel so it won't slip and slam the ends in the doors...hasn't failed yet! Yeh, I'm a barbarian.

I also jack my cars up by the end of the tranny too!
GWN7
Ignore the Uhaul guy, just smile and nod at him and say thanks...

Car in neutral, E brake off, your good to go...

many many miles towing 914's with a dolly that way...
Dr Evil
CA --> PA on a dolly w/ no problems. Uhaul people only know what their computers say...and of course they do not know our cars. They ae worried about clearance issues and such. Just tell them it is for a VW type 47. They will have no idea and it will be fun to watch them think.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 10:21 AM) *

CA --> PA on a dolly w/ no problems. Uhaul people only know what their computers say...and of course they do not know our cars. They ae worried about clearance issues and such. Just tell them it is for a VW type 47. They will have no idea and it will be fun to watch them think.

"Watch them think"? Think? Surely you jest. Not in their job description. The Cap'n
GaroldShaffer
Forgot to say, if your 914 is lowered you might need to raise the front end to make sure the tow dolly ramps don't hit the bottom of the car when driving down the road.
John G
For anyone who searches this thread: Towing the 914 in neutral went perfectly with zero damage on a UHAUL tow dolly, just as the members here said.

I did have to remove the front valance to get the lowered car onto the dolly. Bring tools if your car has a very low front valance.

Also, I towed this setup with a Honda Odyssey for 400 miles with no issues on the Odyssey either (class 2 hitch). For those wondering if an Odyssey (later model, 04 with 6 cyl engine) and tow your car, the answer for me was yes. I think the oil cooler on the transmission would've helped, but I didn't have it and it still towed fine.

John
JPB
Towing is no problem as mentioned but the windshield might get rock damage. I recomend three layers of cardboard and 500mph tape.

beer.gif Uhaul=Ustall
Dr Evil
If flat towing I can see the rock damage argument, but with it on a tow dolly the windshield is usually above the kill zone unless you are towing with a monster truck.
So.Cal.914
These are 914's we are talking about, of course you can tow them. They are most

at home eather being towed or on jackstands. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.