Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 2.0 carb'd 914 w/start issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
apoplexy
So... drive to work, stop for coffee on the way, car starts up no problem. Get to work, try restarting the car in the parking lot, again, no problem. Drive home, get to grocery store, car won't start after we get out. Rollstart the car and make another stop approx 1/2 mile down the road. Car starts no problem.

No clicks, no nothing when I turn the key. I've resoldered another starter and put it in... Brad has worked on this problem (new/rebuilt starter installed, connections cleaned etc.), CT Automotive replaced the ignition switch...

I'm at my wits end! It only seems to happen when the car gets really hot. My dad suggested getting a "high torque" starter. He's an auto-x racer and it works great on his VW "shark".

Any other things I should try? Maybe get ONE MORE starter? headbang.gif

I swear, having this car is like being in a bad relationship with a very charming man. Damnned fun to ride, but really unreliable!
JPB
Well, if ya turn the key and get nothig, then it is probably the solinoid. I bet a new starter will fix that problem and from what I've heard, we ALL need to go to a high tork starter eventualy sweety.(assuming you are a woman)
lapuwali
Starters seem to be a problem, and many remanufactured starters seem to die very early. I know of at least a couple of other people that replaced their "no hot start" starters with a remanufactured unit only to have the new one croak in less than a year.

The high torque starters seem to be better made than a lot of the remanufactured Bosch units. These starters are commonly available, so shop around.

Electrics are one of those things that don't generally go bad until the car reaches a certain age, then they fall apart in many places very quickly. Badly manufactured replacement parts (all too common these days) don't help the reputation for reliability.

apoplexy
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 12 2006, 05:28 PM) *

Well, if ya turn the key and get nothig, then it is probably the solinoid. I bet a new starter will fix that problem and from what I've heard, we ALL need to go to a high tork starter eventualy sweety.(assuming you are a woman)

Heh, or my comment about a charming man could have taken on a whole new meaning, eh?

thanks honeybun, I'll give that a try smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Seem's like once a month this Q is asked, and you will hear alot of answers.

Mine has not been very popular but I am going to give it again. I have had

my 72 sence 82 and this was a problem from the begining. Starter after starter

after starter, switch after switch, cleaning grounds, battery posts, wire connectors

heard every reason and solution in the book. And tried them all. Then I saw a add

for a "Hot start kit", at that point I would have tried a voodoo doll and a ouija

board. I put it in about 10 years ago and I have not had that problem sence.

It gets close to 130 here in the summer and no problem. I don't care why, I am

just glad it's gone.
Dr Evil
I did hot start and the nipondenso hi tq starter from ebay. It worked before something else unrelated needed fixing biggrin.gif
ematulac
I agree with the hot start kit.

I know some consider it a band aid, but knowing that my 914 is gonna start every time I turn the key is peace of mind ... until something else breaks. biggrin.gif

drewvw

personally I think you should hire a monkey to employ the hot start kit whenever you get into a jam.

Benefits:

1) monkey

2) hot starting problem solved

3) monkey

Drawbacks:

1) Domesicated monkeys seem to smoke alot of cigarettes and that could be a real drag

apoplexy
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jul 13 2006, 12:05 PM) *

Drawbacks:

1) Domesicated monkeys seem to smoke alot of cigarettes and that could be a real drag

Hello? Monkey diapers too? I could just have kids and make them help me roll-start whenever necessary
Dr Evil
Kids have labor laws! And can learn english so they can report you.

I vote for monkeys!

It worked for the suburban trunk monkey biggrin.gif
SirAndy
hey Carrie, good to see you around again! it's been a while ...

as for the starter, no clicky usually means solenoid ... i went through the same trouble you're going through right now and i bit the bullet and got myself a nice high-torque starter.
hasn't let me down in 3 years now, even the high compression 2.0L with dual valve springs turned over with ease ...

they seem to be a good investement ...

hope you can make it to the next breakfast ...
beerchug.gif Andy
apoplexy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2006, 04:56 PM) *

hey Carrie, good to see you around again! it's been a while ...

as for the starter, no clicky usually means solenoid ... i went through the same trouble you're going through right now and i bit the bullet and got myself a nice high-torque starter.
hasn't let me down in 3 years now, even the high compression 2.0L with dual valve springs turned over with ease ...

they seem to be a good investement ...

hope you can make it to the next breakfast ...
beerchug.gif Andy

The husband started to make noises about seeing if I could tolerate a new "sports car" if we got rid of the 914... I know he's not going for a CarreraGT anytime soon. We bartered for an econo-commuter box and bodywork for the 914!

Uh, anyway *ramble*

Where would you recommend I get a starter? (supplier)
and yah, I have the breakfast on my calendar wink.gif
Dr Evil
I like the one I got on ebay for like $120 shipped. It turns over my rebilt 2.7 like nothing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.