Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: MG may live again..........in the US with Chinese descent(?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drgchapman
Saw this link to day regarding the Chinese aquistion of MG and their plans to build the car in Oklahoma.

What a strange world.

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/new...icle1174150.ece
Dr Evil
Could you picture an MG SUV? biggrin.gif
SLITS
Moss Motors (Santa Barbara, CA) supposedly bought the MG dies years ago and were producing bodies onto which you could hang your rusty out dated parts.
jonwatts
NOS MG
NO MSG
HeloMech
I was working on a 74 MGB for a while. I was looking for a 914 and the MG was given to me. On the MG board I was always waiting for someone looking for a MG project so I could get a 914. I even posted over there that I was looking for a 914. Now I'm buying the 914... sold the MG nearly a year ago to make space for a 914... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
lapuwali
I don't know about Moss, but an outfit in the UK called British Motor Heritage has the old BMC tooling for the MGB, MG Midget, and Mini bodyshells. They manufacture better than new shells for the ultimate restoration.
Rrrockhound
I considered an MG for awhile. I am so glad I got a 914 instead. MGs seem a little overpriced and too common and low tech. But I'm jealous of their parts availability. Seems like you could build an MG from scratch if you had to, instead of combing ebay for somebody else's discards.
VaccaRabite
There are a freak'n TON of MG and Triumphs out int he wild, and they have a large following. I see way more of them here on the rusty east then I ever see 914s or other older rust prone cars.

Zach
drewvw

totally depends on the MG or triumph IMHO. B's migdets and spitfires are fine, but when you starting talking about TR3s and MGAs....love those things.
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jul 12 2006, 11:42 PM) *

totally depends on the MG or triumph IMHO. B's migdets and spitfires are fine, but when you starting talking about TR3s and MGAs....love those things.

MGAs are sweet. They're like XK-120s on a budget. Spitfires are cool just because the whole front end flips up. Makes engine access a breeze, and you can sit on the tire while you work, as opposed to the 914, which is like accessing the engine through a mail slot.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 10:08 PM) *

If Porsche can build one, nothing can surprise me any more.
zymurgist
Funny thing... I was at the Carlisle Import/Kit/Replicar show with Caroline (Babydoll's mama) and we were walking through the car corral and we saw a white MG Midget, chrome bumpers, nice interior, no visible rust, and a rebuilt engine living in a detailed engine compartment. She heard the engine start and run and was instantly in love. I told her that she should go ahead and buy it, and sell Babydoll to me. She wanted to keep both of them. biggrin.gif

Didn't buy the MG, which is probably good for both of us since neither of us has a free garage bay. But it was pretty sweet.
tdgray
Tis' a bit strange.

I love my MGA... it is my first baby wub.gif

Someone mentioned Moss Motors. I must say that after dealing with Moss for all my restoration parts on the "A" I was highly disappointed in the Porsche parts resellers. Moss is a class act... period!

I am looking forward to seeing the MG badge live again. I hope they do it justice.

dagdal1967
If the Chinese do as good a job as Rover-MG did when they revived the MG convertible in the late 90's I'm definately in.

I owned this car for 2+ years and only sold it when I moved back to the US from England. I wish now that I had shipped it over!

Click to view attachment
drewvw

I agree with the comment about MGAs being XK120s on a budget. especially the final years....great cars.

And lets not forget about TR6s and GT6s. I had a GT6 in college, awesome car....flip forward hood and a 6...oh yeah!
ConeDodger
The "B" body style is definately owned by Heritage in England. Moss and Heritage are very much in bed together though.

I think I still have "MG droppings" on the side of the garage.... I should haul that "Bonnet and boot" away. Anyone want a luggage rack off the rear of an MG-B? I suspect it is pretty universal as far as fit is concerned.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 12 2006, 08:38 PM) *

There are a freak'n TON of MG and Triumphs out int he wild, and they have a large following. I see way more of them here on the rusty east then I ever see 914s or other older rust prone cars.

Zach

Probably because no one would ever be tempted to drive one of those in the rain! The Cap'n
smontanaro
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 12 2006, 09:46 PM) *

I don't know about Moss, but an outfit in the UK called British Motor Heritage has the old BMC tooling for the MGB, MG Midget, and Mini bodyshells.

And Triumph TR6...

S
smontanaro
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 13 2006, 06:48 AM) *

hijacked.gif That reminds me... The other day it occurred to me that the Cayenne must be NARP because it's a more-or-less badge engineered Touareg and was jointly developed with VW. biggrin.gif

Skip
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jul 16 2006, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 13 2006, 06:48 AM) *

hijacked.gif That reminds me... The other day it occurred to me that the Cayenne must be NARP because it's a more-or-less badge engineered Touareg and was jointly developed with VW. biggrin.gif

Skip

The Cayenne is most definatly a NARP.
Course, many people will tell you anyhting that is not a 911 varient is NARP - including the boxter and coxster.
But the Cayenne is totally NARP.

Zach
Allan
I had a '76 Midget when I lived in England.

Came out of the post office one day and as I was opening the door it came completely off. blink.gif

And this was in 1979. Car was only 3 years old and the sheetmetal behind the hinges has rusted completely out. sad.gif
KELTY360
My first car was a '64 TR4 - maple veneer dash, wire wheels w/knockoffs, great engine sound, easy to drift the rear, devoured trannys for breakfast.

One of the best license plates I ever saw was on an MGB......

.......FIX chairfall.gif
So.Cal.914
I understand why some people like the MG's, the TD is a classic body style. My 65

MG was a really cool car, mostly from all the rust holes in it. I learned alot from that

car, like how to spend most of my time wrenching and little time driving. The Lucas

(Lord of darkness) electrical system was a great way to learn how not to do a elect.

system. That said, I loved it, the rag top, knock off wire wheels and classic english

styling it looked great in the driveway (where it spend most of it's time).
jimtab
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 07:08 PM) *

DUH...it's called a Landrover.... biggrin.gif Bye the way, I used to own a TF and I am as sure as anything that the Chinese version won't ever have the cachet of a real TF...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.